• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

$6,800...really???

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'Been promoting our ELIO to my family and friends and even providing them the website but here's what I get for feedback: it starts with a laugh and then telling me after they've been to the website that they do believe it's not a scam but it will not sell for that base price (not including the taxes, licenses, dist. charges, etc.), it will not even be close because they say it's MADE IN AMERICA!!! Everything is expensive to produce a product here with American salaries, insurances, liabilities, etc.- they went further to say yes, it's possible if it's made in China or other 3rd world countries where LABOR is cheap! They went on to say that investors and lenders needs to make money and quick return will not be forth coming with the $6,800 target price that EM has been advertising- but yet in their website all seems to be no problem as it says the ELIO is coming in 2016? I know it can be done and made here in America with good old American sweat and with the amount of funding in place, it is entirely possible, the final price could be EM's biggest achievement or it's downfall if it's not met for those of us that was promised an affordable "and" transportation for the masses! 'Just my 1 cent.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'Been promoting our ELIO to my family and friends and even providing them the website but here's what I get for feedback: it starts with a laugh and then telling me after they've been to the website that they do believe it's not a scam but it will not sell for that base price (not including the taxes, licenses, dist. charges, etc.), it will not even be close because they say it's MADE IN AMERICA!!! Everything is expensive to produce a product here with American salaries, insurances, liabilities, etc.- they went further to say yes, it's possible if it's made in China or other 3rd world countries where LABOR is cheap! They went on to say that investors and lenders needs to make money and quick return will not be forth coming with the $6,800 target price that EM has been advertising- but yet in their website all seems to be no problem as it says the ELIO is coming in 2016? I know it can be done and made here in America with good old American sweat and with the amount of funding in place, it entirely possible, the final price could be EM's biggest achievement or it's downfall if it's not met for those of us that was promised an affordable "end" transportation for the masses! 'Just my 1 cent.
Due to the increased productivity of the average American Auto worker, it is actually cheaper to produce here than in China. Sure, China doesn't have to meet the same standards we do here and can thus make it less expensive but the labor that goes into each vehicle will be less for Elio here than if they relocated to China. Paul has the car priced out for it's parts and right now they are within a couple of hundred dollars in hitting their goal of selling the car for $6,800. You'll have to pay your own taxes and registration because, well, that's the law. Elio is even figuring in $1,000 profit per vehicle. They have some big industry guys working on the project so their estimates won't be far off. Also, as you probably know, a Kia Forte weighs 2,804. The Elio weighs 1,250 which means the Elio weighs 44% of the Forte's weight. The Kia Forte costs between $15,890 and $19,390. Since the Elio is pretty basic, I'll use the basic price of the Kia which is $15,890. The Elio uses only 44% of the material and strickly by the pound, the Elio should cost $7,380. Now, once you factor in some things like - One fewer tires, wheels, brakes, one windshield wiper, one door to have to hinge, fit, etc. and the fact that the plastic body panels will be less expensive to make than the Kia's stamped steel ones... I don't see how $6,800 is THAT unreasonable. (Oh yeah, the Elio's engine is very basic and only puts out around 55 HP vs. the Kia's 148HP much more complicated motor)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
add-
no rear window,
no rear view mirror
two seat belts total
two power windows
soda bottle for windshield wash
no gas cap
just two floor mats
one reclining seat
one seat fore-aft adjustment
two headrests
less paint
less air vents
(probably) lower insurance
with one less wheel
less brake lines
brakes
sensors
less suspension parts
less lug nuts
and..............

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
for a good while EM has reported that they are within a few hundred of their $6800 goal .... it has also been reported that they are working to build in a $1000 profit on each Elio .... the bonus money currently being offered ($100 to $500) with All In registrations would cut into that $1000 but those trikes will be produced within a very short time after going into production ....realistically I doubt that out of the total number produced a small percentage will be base models .... those ordered with an AMT will not sell for the base price .... every option ordered will add to the company profit on that trike .... in taking a superficial look at something like the development of EM its easy to draw conclusions that may or may not hold up when additional info is available .... there is no way they would take their price point this far in the development of the program if they weren't certain that it would prove them with sufficient income to grow the company

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm involved in manufacturing and have always considered $6800 unrealistic but any enclosed vehicle for under $10,000 is a bargain . I don't believe that Elio is a scam and I have faith that some day we will be pleasantly surprised :D
No scam here... just too high a goal but if it don't happen, I'm only out 1K.....:(

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Due to the increased productivity of the average American Auto worker, it is actually cheaper to produce here than in China. Sure, China doesn't have to meet the same standards we do here and can thus make it less expensive but the labor that goes into each vehicle will be less for Elio here than if they relocated to China. Paul has the car priced out for it's parts and right now they are within a couple of hundred dollars in hitting their goal of selling the car for $6,800. You'll have to pay your own taxes and registration because, well, that's the law. Elio is even figuring in $1,000 profit per vehicle. They have some big industry guys working on the project so their estimates won't be far off. Also, as you probably know, a Kia Forte weighs 2,804. The Elio weighs 1,250 which means the Elio weighs 44% of the Forte's weight. The Kia Forte costs between $15,890 and $19,390. Since the Elio is pretty basic, I'll use the basic price of the Kia which is $15,890. The Elio uses only 44% of the material and strickly by the pound, the Elio should cost $7,380. Now, once you factor in some things like - One fewer tires, wheels, brakes, one windshield wiper, one door to have to hinge, fit, etc. and the fact that the plastic body panels will be less expensive to make than the Kia's stamped steel ones... I don't see how $6,800 is THAT unreasonable. (Oh yeah, the Elio's engine is very basic and only puts out around 55 HP vs. the Kia's 148HP much more complicated motor)
Well said Ty. You gave us hope and more ammo for the non believer!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
add-
no rear window,
no rear view mirror
two seat belts total
two power windows
soda bottle for windshield wash
no gas cap
just two floor mats
one reclining seat
one seat fore-aft adjustment
two headrests
less paint
less air vents
(probably) lower insurance
with one less wheel
less brake lines
brakes
sensors
less suspension parts
less lug nuts
and..............
Here's a good one for you....how is it that a well known and established company like Harley Davidson can't price their motorcycles well below the ELIO price point when it has even less stuff....2 wheels, no air conditioning, less panels, less paint, 2 less brakes, etc. - Harley Davidson motorbikes are also made at 4 locations in the USA- WI, York, PA, Kansas, MO, Tomahawk, WI. An entry level bike I wanted to buy, STREET 500 - $6,849! Their TOURING ULTRA LIMITED LOW - $27,299!!!! Not trying to put you on the spot but give it your best shot because I don't have an answer for this!
p.s.- we can even move to Can Am Spyder (base SPORT- $14,999, top of the line TOURING- $23,349) if you want. Hell, if they can sell it for $6,800 or less, don't you think people will be lining up to buy it like crazy- forget about the roof, or the air conditioning..I'll brave the rain or some snow!!! I'll even buy 2! But again, is there a mystery, or people are just too gullible to really think that a car like the ELIO that has yet to prove it's merit on the streets of America and beyond let alone being built could be priced so low and we're just suppose to accept it because they said so??? My 1 cent.

Last edited:

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a good one for you....how is it that a well known and established company like Harley Davidson can't price their motorcycles well below the ELIO price point when it has even less stuff....2 wheels, no air conditioning, less panels, less paint, 2 less brakes, etc. - Harley Davidson motorbikes are also made at 4 locations in the USA- WI, York, PA, Kansas, MO, Tomahawk, WI. An entry level bike I wanted to buy, STREET 500 - $6,849! Their TOURING ULTRA LIMITED LOW - $27,299!!!! Not trying to put you on the spot but give it your best shot because I don't have an answer for this!
p.s.- we can even move to Can Am Spyder (base SPORT- $14,999, top of the line TOURING- $23,349) if you want. Hell, if they can sell it for $6,800 or less, don't you think people will be lining up to buy it like crazy- forget about the roof, or the air conditioning..I'll brave the rain or some snow!!! I'll even buy 2! But again, is there a mystery, or people are just too gullible to really think that a car like the ELIO that has yet to prove it's merit on the streets of America and beyond let alone being built could be priced so low and we're just suppose to accept it because they said so??? My 1 cent.

With HD, you're buying a "life style" type ride. Actual costs of production have nothing to do with what people will pay for the "image" HD portrays.
The good news, at least HD is trying to make them more dependable now. Back in the day, when it came to motorcycles, I'd buy jap bikes all day long in order to ride them instead of working on them on the side of the road.

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a good one for you....how is it that a well known and established company like Harley Davidson can't price their motorcycles well below the ELIO price point when it has even less stuff....

Because they don't want to! People are more than happy to pay, what I bet is, a crazy markup for (as Bert said) the image and "status" of owning a Harley. Paul said long ago his vehicle is to be affordable. I'm sure people would even be willing to pay $13600 (double his target price) once these hit the street and gain more popularity.:peace:

Top Bottom