• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

8/28/2014 - The Truth About Cars - Exclusive Capsule Review: Elio Motors P4 Prototype

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen first year estimates ranging up to about 68K however have never seen an officially announced final number. Considering the access this writer was granted, and the research he apparently put into this article, 60K could very well be the current first year production estimate however we have no way of verifying this until EM confirms a number.

I believe 60K reservations is realistically reachable considering how many people have signed up just over the last few weeks even though we are so far out from production. Once we start seeing some progress on the E series pre-production vehicle development program and eventually hear about production funding I believe the reservations numbers will rise quickly. I expect both the mainstream media and the auto media to really start taking Elio Motors much more seriously and provide a lot more coverage once those milestones are reached.

I expect Elio Motors will do as they have said they will and will cut off first year reservations at a certain point like 60K. I do not believe this will be the end of the reservation system as I believe at that point the will begin accepting second year reservations however I can see where they may discontinue refundable reservations and solely take non-refundable reservations for the second production year. I just can't see EM turning away customers with cash in hand as it benefits EM to sell as many vehicles as possible without the added expenses of a retail channel and added marketing costs.
Once the P5 and pre-production models are built, I hope they'll have time to produce an informative video on CD about the project and the car. These assorted short video clips aren't too useful and also eat my precious bandwidth limits. A good video could be used by media outlets as footage for their news coverage. A CD can also be copied and sent to friends.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... Oh, and don't forget the 'Fleet Sales'.
Fer real!, Just guessing here, but in the case of government you can guess that cites etc have not put money down, but made inquiries. They will wait until there are established parameters in the crash testing etc. They have requirements in that area. But once that's done, they'll jump in the game is my guess. How many cars could 50 top cities and 100 top counties amount to? I would love to know that one!

In some cases they will buy evaluation samples before making a large order. But once all that is done, government could be the biggest fleet interest out there. They are required to get the biggest bang for the buck at that point. Let's put utility companies in that same boat.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Fer real!, Just guessing here, but in the case of government you can guess that cites etc have not put money down, but made inquiries. They will wait until there are established parameters in the crash testing etc. They have requirements in that area. But once that's done, they'll jump in the game is my guess. How many cars could 50 top cities and 100 top counties amount to? I would love to know that one!

In some cases they will buy evaluation samples before making a large order. But once all that is done, government could be the biggest fleet interest out there. They are required to get the biggest bang for the buck at that point. Let's put utility companies in that same boat.

I definitely agree and also see government and utilities definitely eventually becoming a huge market for Elio Motors. I can also see some rental fleets, especially the quick Zip Car type rentals, really liking these vehicles. We just need to push this thing into production and I have no doubt Elio Motors can sell these things all over the place. :)

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio has stated many times the Elio was designed for a purpose! He designed the Elio to get 84 mpg for the every rising cost of gasoline.Doing that he designed this inline, lightweight, aero dynamic,safe, stability control> Elio. He stated mostly it is one person in a vheicle going to work regularly. With that singular driver in mind going to work daily; This morning on Fox 5 news @ 8:04am, they had special guest John Townsend from AAA Mid Atlantic reporting. He stated Tuesday will be a heavily traveled day after the Holiday. He stated schools start back up and 1.9 Million single drivers will be returning to work. I heard that and I said Paul Elio had been stating that for months, most of the vehicles driven to work only have the one occupant.
Terrence :) Elio to the rescue for my gasoline budget. 84 mpg

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From The Truth About Cars, and posted by Elio on Facebook. It really is a more in-depth video/review than I've seen so far.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/exclusive-capsule-review-elio-motors-p4-prototype/
There was another video and interview posted in the last couple of weeks showing additional footage of the Elio being driven in snowy conditions which might interest you. I'm going to have to think about it - or rather let it go so it will come back to me and then I will get the link for you. I'm sure it was in the News forum and I know I sent it to my son in Toledo, OH who was thrilled with it so I will find it. That is a promise! :-) Z

Nicul8

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There was another video and interview posted in the last couple of weeks showing additional footage of the Elio being driven in snowy conditions which might interest you. I'm going to have to think about it - or rather let it go so it will come back to me and then I will get the link for you. I'm sure it was in the News forum and I know I sent it to my son in Toledo, OH who was thrilled with it so I will find it. That is a promise! :) Z
My fiance rides a motorcycle with a sidecar through the winter (note I'm from MN and he's from northern WI). This will definitely be a step up in comfort from that (less of a windchill factor), and I don't anticipate any problems in light-moderate snowfall.

Top Bottom