• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

84 Mpg

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MY BMW 318ti AVERAGES ABOUT 35mpg . MY DAILY 50 MILE COMMUTE TAKES ME
THROUGH SOME CITY AND HIGHWAY MILES . THERE ARE HILLS .

I AM HOPING TO AT LEAST DOUBLE THIS FIGURE WITH THE ELIO .
THE ti WILL BE GOOD & READY FOR A NEW OWNER BY THEN .

DSC_0168.JPG

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drive a Ford fiesta because initial cost was $15000 and it gets 42 mpg on a good day .I could have payed $10,000 more for a Prius and gotten 2mpg better city .For me it's a cost ratio Elio is half the cost of a Fiesta and gets twice the mileage .For me when I gas up it's like tossing dollar bills on the ground and there is nothing tangible about gas.
So would I drive more with an Elio ? probably not sense I'm already driving 30,000 miles per year .
The other is longevity issue ,most of my vehicles have gone 200,000 miles without major expense .I guess when we get our Elios we'll know what longevity is .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The other is longevity issue ,most of my vehicles have gone 200,000 miles without major expense .I guess when we get our Elios we'll know what longevity is .

no doubt much will be learned after EM begins production .... that is one reason we chose to make our All In reservation to where hopefully 30,000 - 40,000 will roll off the line in front of ours .... the reports from those with low reservation numbers will be fascinating

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cost to maintain an ELIO will likely be low at first but as miles add up there will be some replacement of major parts. Just the way it is on equipment. The smaller light weight stuff is not heavy duty.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A $6800 dollar vehicle that gets 84 mpg won't have a lot of Iron in it .Yes it'll have to pass safety tests but it'll be fragile and light .Ounces cost money and fuel.
My point is that each part will have to be screened for cost and weight durability may not be the #1 factor

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A $6800 dollar vehicle that gets 84 mpg won't have a lot of Iron in it .Yes it'll have to pass safety tests but it'll be fragile and light .Ounces cost money and fuel.
My point is that each part will have to be screened for cost and weight durability may not be the #1 factor

Light weight does not necessarily mean little strength.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you Smitty . My gasoline is reimbursed by my company . I get approximately 21.5 MPG on a 4 cyl Ford .
Ford claims 25 city, 37 highway . :rolleyes: While I will not glean any financial benefit from an Elio getting 84 MPG , I like the idea .
Driving a more efficient internal combustion vehicle is appealing to me . Driving one that costs less than $8000 brand new also appeals to me .

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't think the Elio will be as fragile as some people think. Quite the contrary. Most all the components will be "heavy duty". Why? Since the majority of the mechanical components are "off the shelf" parts designed built and proven to be reliable on cars that have twice the weight and twice the horsepower as the Elio will have the effect of being overbuilt in the Elio application. The only real wildcard is the engine and possibly the few suspension components purpose built for the Elio.

Top Bottom