• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/19/14 E M Blog - Elio Saves Taxes!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Saves Taxes! 9-19-14
Posted by cstempeck on September 19, 2014
Posted in: Blog.
[Broken External Image]

Happy Friday Elio’ers! This week in the blog we are going to share an interesting hidden benefit that came in from an Elio fan (and reservation holder) through our dedicated customer support email system. The person, who we will call Great Thought, or “GT” (we sent an email asking to use their real name but didn’t hear back) brought up the dreaded “T” word, taxes.

The taxes that “GT” was talking about specifically are new vehicle taxes. Have you thought about that yet? What does it mean to you to have a brand new vehicle that costs $6,800* versus a new vehicle that costs $15,000 or even the average new vehicle price of over $30,000? The short answer for many of us… a lot! Let’s look at it in real dollars using the US average of 5.75% tax on a new vehicle:

Vehicle Base Price Average US Tax rate Tax $
Elio $6,800 5.75% $391.00
Low Cost Vehicle $15,000 5.75% $862.50
Average US New Vehicle $30,000 5.75% $1,725.00

So on average the Elio will save you $471 in taxes over buying a $15,000 vehicle. That is real money. To put that into gallons of gas, that is 140+ gallons at today’s prices. 140+ gallons will get you over 11,780 highway miles. That is almost a years’ worth of gas!

When you look at it versus the average new vehicle in the US (over $30,000) you can save enough on taxes to pay for almost 2 years of gas for your Elio! This is a win win win! Lower price, lower taxes, unbeatable gas mileage… and much more!

There are a lot of factors that come into play when talking about new vehicle taxes an how things like trade-ins, cross county purchases, tax limits etc. work. Please take this information and localize it for your particular county/city/state situation. One truism for all (unless there is zero tax) you will save money with Elio on taxes versus an “economy” car and the average new vehicle today!

Thank so much for the email “GT”. Feel free to keep them coming!

[Broken External Image]

The next week on the Preview Tour:

September 19 -21 – Los Angeles, CA – Westside Pavilion – 10800 West Pico Blvd. – 10am=9pm Friday, 10am -8pm Saturday – 11am to 6pm Sunday – P4 show

September 25 – 27 – Las Vegas, NV – Barrett Jackson Auto Auction – Mandalay Bay – P3 show

Thank you for your continued support!

* - Starting MSRP excludes options, destination/delivery charge, taxes, title and registration

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Happy Friday Elio’ers! This week in the blog we are going to share an interesting hidden benefit that came in from an Elio fan (and reservation holder) through our dedicated customer support email system. The person, who we will call Great Thought, or “GT” (we sent an email asking to use their real name but didn’t hear back) brought up the dreaded “T” word, taxes.

The taxes that “GT” was talking about specifically are new vehicle taxes. Have you thought about that yet? What does it mean to you to have a brand new vehicle that costs $6,800* versus a new vehicle that costs $15,000 or even the average new vehicle price of over $30,000? The short answer for many of us… a lot! Let’s look at it in real dollars using the US average of 5.75% tax on a new vehicle:

So on average the Elio will save you $471 in taxes over buying a $15,000 vehicle. That is real money. To put that into gallons of gas, that is 140+ gallons at today’s prices. 140+ gallons will get you over 11,780 highway miles. That is almost a years’ worth of gas!

When you look at it versus the average new vehicle in the US (over $30,000) you can save enough on taxes to pay for almost 2 years of gas for your Elio! This is a win win win! Lower price, lower taxes, unbeatable gas mileage… and much more!

There are a lot of factors that come into play when talking about new vehicle taxes an how things like trade-ins, cross county purchases, tax limits etc. work. Please take this information and localize it for your particular county/city/state situation. One truism for all (unless there is zero tax) you will save money with Elio on taxes versus an “economy” car and the average new vehicle today!

[Broken External Image]

September 19 -21 – Los Angeles, CA – Westside Pavilion – 10800 West Pico Blvd. – 10am=9pm Friday, 10am -8pm Saturday – 11am to 6pm Sunday – P4 show

September 25 – 27 – Las Vegas, NV – Barrett Jackson Auto Auction – Mandalay Bay – P3 show

* - Starting MSRP excludes options, destination/delivery charge, taxes, title and registration

Z,
Thanks for posting this info.
I add the tax to everything I buy as part of the total price.
I picked up this line from the post,
'Please take this information and localize it for your particular county/city/state situation. One truism for all (unless there is zero tax) you will save money with Elio on taxes versus an “economy” car and the average new vehicle today'.
It got me to thinking and I started running the numbers for my situation.
1) $6.8K Elio at 7%= $476... I'll pay that
2) $15K vechile @ 7% = $1050 - $476 = $574 saved x 3.50/gal = 9840 free miles
3) $30K vechile @ 7% = $2100 - $476 = $1624 saved x $3.50/gal = 27,840 free miles.
Another thought, if you add the tax cost, per year, over the life of the Elio, that would also add a considerable amount to your savings.
I used a milage rate of 60mpg, as I plan to tow a Mini-Mate camper a lot of the time, when I retire..

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
They also have a ridiculous valuation for tax purposes. Depending on the source my car is worth between $2k and $3.5k, yet it gets taxed as $4.9k. When it was worth $4k it was being taxed as if it were $6k, etc.

Yogi Leigh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Zelio -

I think it's amazing Elio Motors is thinking about the "little guy", who's going through life saving what he can, and doesn't necessarily want anything outlandish. Who's looking for the cheapest way to go from here to there, safely.

I don't know if a new car has ever been offered this low compared to other new cars coming out the same year.

Finally, it seems as though we have a car company that works on lean concepts and making their business as efficient as it can be (working with suppliers for savings for the car as a whole). These production efficiencies are how they save money. They are ethical enough to want to pass this savings along to their customers.

I say this is a very rare thing. Makes me appreciate my Elio even more. I don't feel poor when I think about paying the taxes, or even paying for the car.

Thanks Paul!

I feel like this................................................................Not so much like this.........

images[8].jpg
revenue-1-228x300[1].jpg

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zelio -

I think it's amazing Elio Motors is thinking about the "little guy", who's going through life saving what he can, and doesn't necessarily want anything outlandish. Who's looking for the cheapest way to go from here to there, safely.

I don't know if a new car has ever been offered this low compared to other new cars coming out the same year.

Finally, it seems as though we have a car company that works on lean concepts and making their business as efficient as it can be (working with suppliers for savings for the car as a whole). These production efficiencies are how they save money. They are ethical enough to want to pass this savings along to their customers.

I say this is a very rare thing. Makes me appreciate my Elio even more. I don't feel poor when I think about paying the taxes, or even paying for the car.

Thanks Paul!

I feel like this................................................................Not so much like this.........

View attachment 2795 View attachment 2794
I have been feeling this way since I first heard about the Elio. I feel like someone finally cares. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been feeling this way since I first heard about the Elio. I feel like someone finally cares. :) Z

Paul Elio realized what shrewd businessmen have known for a long time which is that a deal which is fair to both sides leaves both sides happy. :)

Elio Motors will of course make a fair profit from every vehicle sold, and from every option and accessory sold, however screwing over the buyers by unreasonably jacking up the price actually hurts the cycle that feeds Elio Motors. The cycle should be fairly obvious however it is overlooked by many: Mass production is what allows for keeping prices low and low prices in turn drive more sales which you need for mass production.

Top Bottom