• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Conversation With The U.s. Energy Secretary, October 23rd, By Katie Fehrenbacher

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
https://gigaom.com/2014/10/24/a-con...ry-on-energy-innovation-and-the-valleys-role/

Interesting comments from the U.S. DOE Secretary on the ATVM loan. They do not mention Elio Motors in particular, but I think it interesting on a number of accounts.

First, Secretary Moniz speaks of a new model of co-lending for their projects, with DOE funding part of an application and banks or private equity partners providing the rest.

Second, he says something that really caught my eye, "The importance of innovation in cleantech is extremely high. But it should be understood that ultimately the goal of that innovation is cost reduction." In this regard Elio Motors application should be splendid as it both cuts energy consumption but does so with a substantial decrease in sunk costs, both for owners and for society as a whole.

Third, he makes it clear that the imperative for positive change is urgent, saying that "the urgency of the climate challenge is one that we evaluate as being very important. I have no doubt that the energy system will progress as it has to lower carbon emissions. But we don’t have a lot of time. We have to pick up the pace of change."

There are many other nuggets here too. I doubt very much whether Moniz himself will have any active role in the second phase of the ATVM application but since he is likely to face a hostile Congress and have just two more years to accomplish his agenda, he will absolutely know all about his potential and actual loan and project portfolio, of which Elio is a part.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
https://gigaom.com/2014/10/24/a-con...ry-on-energy-innovation-and-the-valleys-role/

Interesting comments from the U.S. DOE Secretary on the ATVM loan. They do not mention Elio Motors in particular, but I think it interesting on a number of accounts.

First, Secretary Moniz speaks of a new model of co-lending for their projects, with DOE funding part of an application and banks or private equity partners providing the rest.

Second, he says something that really caught my eye, "The importance of innovation in cleantech is extremely high. But it should be understood that ultimately the goal of that innovation is cost reduction." In this regard Elio Motors application should be splendid as it both cuts energy consumption but does so with a substantial decrease in sunk costs, both for owners and for society as a whole.

Third, he makes it clear that the imperative for positive change is urgent, saying that "the urgency of the climate challenge is one that we evaluate as being very important. I have no doubt that the energy system will progress as it has to lower carbon emissions. But we don’t have a lot of time. We have to pick up the pace of change."

There are many other nuggets here too. I doubt very much whether Moniz himself will have any active role in the second phase of the ATVM application but since he is likely to face a hostile Congress and have just two more years to accomplish his agenda, he will absolutely know all about his potential and actual loan and project portfolio, of which Elio is a part.
Very interesting interview. Thanks for posting. :-) Z

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I sure hope we are not trying to tie the ELIO in to the whole phony Global warming scam now.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Moniz quote I overlooked may be the one I see as most illuminating w.r.t. Elio, "I would say, though I can’t discuss any individual cases, but we are pretty happy with what looks like a very interesting portfolio for that $40 billion. There’s a lot of apparently interesting proposals. But there’s a lot of due diligence that has to be done." Gosh. His merging of the themes of "pretty happy", "interesting", and "due diligence" may well be in part a reference to Elio Motors.

I just occurred to me that this could be a huge political win-win. The current administration, a far from insignificant slice of their constituency, and DOE would benefit greatly from loaning EM money and then having it take off. Now, I'm NOT talking politics here Goofyone, merely ruminating on the potential that Moniz and DOE would consider, in addition to the technical and risk assessment aspects of their due diligence, the potential impact on voters' perceptions of the administration of contributing to the successful launch of a $6800 vehicle made with American parts by Americans that reduces our need for foreign oil and helps save the environment.

I'm not the sharpest shovel. I should have foreseen this long before now. I say Elio gets the ATVM loan no problem.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Moniz quote I overlooked may be the one I see as most illuminating w.r.t. Elio, "I would say, though I can’t discuss any individual cases, but we are pretty happy with what looks like a very interesting portfolio for that $40 billion. There’s a lot of apparently interesting proposals. But there’s a lot of due diligence that has to be done." Gosh. His merging of the themes of "pretty happy", "interesting", and "due diligence" may well be in part a reference to Elio Motors.

I just occurred to me that this could be a huge political win-win. The current administration, a far from insignificant slice of their constituency, and DOE would benefit greatly from loaning EM money and then having it take off. Now, I'm NOT talking politics here Goofyone, merely ruminating on the potential that Moniz and DOE would consider, in addition to the technical and risk assessment aspects of their due diligence, the potential impact on voters' perceptions of the administration of contributing to the successful launch of a $6800 vehicle made with American parts by Americans that reduces our need for foreign oil and helps save the environment.

I'm not the sharpest shovel. I should have foreseen this long before now. I say Elio gets the ATVM loan no problem.

Your idea is sound, the fly in the ointment, is the administrations heavy duty link to UNIONS (UAW).

Some Union people would rather see ..... never mind you can fill in the blank.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using less fossil fuels has a whole host of benefits irrespective of your beliefs on global warming. And I certainly DO hope that Paul can tie the Elio to that.

The Elio mantra from the beginning has been all about lowering our (USA's)
carbon foot print. The Elio is tailor made for the ATVM along with 'Cafe Credits'
as an added plus. Add to this 'encouragement' from the 'Big Boys' & it will happen...........

http://www.hybridcars.com/elio-motors-in-line-for-185m-federal-loan/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwcYYeoG3szZOF092p_MHwc7Oqtzmv82U5ykklpsgb-k6nKeOC.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom