• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Message To The Elio Team

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Functionally I really don't think it matters a whole lot. Maybe in a drag car where you have to to time shifts by gauging when the needle is going to hit the red out of the corner of your eye, but not on a car like the Elio..

I thought it was a terrible idea before and then I was only thinking about the speedometer. It would be worthless for timing shifts near redline with the tach. Unless they detune the motor down to 15 hp then maybe it would climb slow enough to read it.

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elgin watch company went out of business in 1968 and was around for about a 100 years before that. If this was a great design it would be in lots of cars by now. Analog gauges aren't new, high tech, or trendy but they are still around because they are proven to work. I don't care what it looks like I want a functional dash not a toy. The Elgin dash doesn't have a temp gauge either. All cars should have a temp gauge.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Recall reading that the Elgin look was something that triggered fond memories of Paul Elio's dad for him. This is the outfit that is going to build most of the interior bits as well as outside lighting. http://www.dakkotasystems.com/index.html
Some of us here seem to thing that they are going to scrounge junk yards to source parts or use bits made for other vehicles to cobble together our "auto-cycles". Off the shelf refers in my mind to technology, not parts bin. Lets give these folks some credit for the ability to come up with something we will all be able to deal with.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Recall reading that the Elgin look was something that triggered fond memories of Paul Elio's dad for him. This is the outfit that is going to build most of the interior bits as well as outside lighting. http://www.dakkotasystems.com/index.html
Some of us here seem to thing that they are going to scrounge junk yards to source parts or use bits made for other vehicles to cobble together our "auto-cycles". Off the shelf refers in my mind to technology, not parts bin. Lets give these folks some credit for the ability to come up with something we will all be able to deal with.

Good point as I don't think most people have a clear understanding of what "off the shelf" means today. Suppliers rarely carry much inventory anymore instead they use just in time production to meet the demands of automakers and parts distributors. So when Elio Motors says off the shelf parts what they really mean is that no engineering needs to go into designing brand new parts just for this car.
Interior items are custom assembled to order for Elio so they will be able to work with the suppliers on colors and layouts even if all the lights and dials are just existing items being mixed and matched to suit Elio's needs.
For wear items and mechanical parts (brakes, belts, starter, A/C compressor,etc...) they will work with suppliers to find existing items that suit their requirements.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really hate the Elgin dash, but as others have said, after a few weeks we will probably just adapt to it. I gave gentle criticism to Elio Motors either through fb or twitter, I forget.
Kind of like putting an abacus in a high school computer lab. Or maybe a snorkel on a giraffe; It is just plain out of place.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think people may be mis-interpreting "Off the shelf". This phrase usually indicates a proven technology that can be adapted rather easily to a different application. "Commercial Off the Shelf (COT)" means that it is a produced part that will be used as-is without change. For instance, the military uses COT telephones in offices.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think people may be mis-interpreting "Off the shelf". This phrase usually indicates a proven technology that can be adapted rather easily to a different application. "Commercial Off the Shelf (COT)" means that it is a produced part that will be used as-is without change. For instance, the military uses COT telephones in offices.
Except in price which is usually 2-300% higher. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom