• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Small Car Such As This Should Have Advanced Active Safety Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now you got me going. I once wrote to my congressmen and senators about highway safety. I encouraged them to save lives by adopting the same laws as Germany for the American autobahns. You see, Germany (I lived there in 1991-93) statistically has 3/4 the fatalities per capita per mile driven as the US. I believe the reason is that trucks are limited to 60mph/100kmh while cars have mostly no speed limit. Cars rarely are in accidents with trucks. Know what response I got? Zilch. Cannot slow down commerce even if it means saving lives. Your safety only matters if money can be made by manufacturers, shippers, or most important, insurance companies.

I've driven in states with dual speed limits.
It is a massive cluster f---!
Causes too much lane changing.
And then when you get an 18 wheeler stuck in the left lane on an uphill grade you have a real mess.
And consider some of the larger trucks. Some up to 46 wheels that are used to transport wind turbine bases.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have found the ultimate accident-preventing, life-saving device for automobiles. Cheap and highly effective. Invented by Jim Unger:

20154_herman_moral_hazard_tullock_dagger.jpg

Added bonus is anybody who drives carelessly, recklessly, drunk, or tailgates will win a Darwin Award...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've driven in states with dual speed limits.

Causes too much lane changing.
And then when you get an 18 wheeler stuck in the left lane on an uphill grade you have a real mess.
Clearly the fault of the truck driver and not the dual speed limits.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is never going to be a "safe" vehicle. At least in comparison to the majority of vehicles on the road. While it will be safer than a motorcycle, I don't see active safety features as being any more beneficial than putting them on a motorcycle.

Active safety features would keep an Elio owner safer if they were installed in the other vehicles that it shares the road with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom