• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Tale Of Two Motorcycles

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Friday I stopped at the local Indian dealer and rode a Springfield Blue Vintagehttp://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us
I was surprised at how jewel like the finish was and the power level was downright addictive. The bike pulls like a freight train and is loaded with premium options with a long list of accessories available. Effortless motorcycling with style was the overall impression. Sign here make lots of big payments.

Saturday I drove to Connecticut with my wife and stopped and picked up one of my sisters to get a hands on look at the Mule.http://www.eliomotors.com/ Had a nice chat with a few of the folks they had there to answer questions. Didn't learn anything new but did some some early impressions reinforced about the vehicle. This is the machine with value as the target.

Indian Base price $20,999
Costs extra to get it painted blue
available right now.

Elio Base price$6800
No cost color choice
seat belts air bags and AC included

These are both something that I could see myself having a very good time with.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio would technically be my first motorcycle. I have a friend that is into Moto Guzzi bikes I like the look of them rode one but still wouldn't buy one. Riding just isn't for me. I still like looking at motorcycles though I appreciate them and can see why people love riding.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two different vehicles both of which should be lots of fun; both of which serve very different riding experiences.

I think the big thing to take from the comparison is actually the $ difference. Whether people buy the elio as a toy, a second vehicle, or even a primary vehicle the reality is that there is nothing that can compare in price.

Lots of people post about being willing to pay a bit more if the elio only has X and although that may work for them I don't think it would work for elio in general. I myself continue to think about the 4 tenets and try to decide if elio could ignore any one of them and I ultimately come to the conclusion that they really can't.

Cost will be a huge success to elio. Miles per gallon will be very important. Safety may not be paramount on most peoples minds now but if people start getting crushed in the elio it is clear that any immediate success will end immediately once the elio gets known as unsafe. Being American built is fairly soft and I expect many walmart type buyers that value cost supreme may waver on this tenet but the reality is that if elio can be sold for $6800 I doubt that you would find a foreign built version any cheaper.

BTW: congrats on the test ride. It is always fun to take something new for a ride.

Last edited:

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two different vehicles both of which should be lots of fun; both of which serve very different riding experiences.

I think the big thing to take from the comparison is actually the $ difference. Whether people buy the elio as a toy, a second vehicle, or even a primary vehicle the reality is that there is nothing that can compare in price.

Lots of people post about being willing to pay a bit more if the elio only has X and although that may work for them I don't think it would work for elio in general. I myself continue to think about the 4 tenets and try to decide if elio could ignore any one of them and I ultimately come to the conclusion that they really can't.

Cost will be a huge success to elio. Miles per gallon will be very important. Safety may not be paramount on most peoples minds now but if people start getting crushed in the elio it is clear that any immediate success will end immediately once the elio gets known as unsafe. Being American built is fairly soft and I expect many walmart type buyers that value cost supreme may waver on this tenet but the reality is that if elio can be sold for $6800 I doubt that you would find a foreign built version any cheaper.

BTW: congrats on the test ride. It is always fun to take something new for a ride.
Well said.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Friday I stopped at the local Indian dealer and rode a Springfield Blue Vintagehttp://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us
I was surprised at how jewel like the finish was and the power level was downright addictive. The bike pulls like a freight train and is loaded with premium options with a long list of accessories available. Effortless motorcycling with style was the overall impression. Sign here make lots of big payments.

Saturday I drove to Connecticut with my wife and stopped and picked up one of my sisters to get a hands on look at the Mule.http://www.eliomotors.com/ Had a nice chat with a few of the folks they had there to answer questions. Didn't learn anything new but did some some early impressions reinforced about the vehicle. This is the machine with value as the target.

Indian Base price $20,999
Costs extra to get it painted blue
available right now.

Elio Base price$6800
No cost color choice
seat belts air bags and AC included

These are both something that I could see myself having a very good time with.
That definitely rates as a good story. Thank you for both doing and telling. Now let me see, is there any vehicle out there I should look at and check out before I go to see the Elio in July? Probably only if price and mileage (and the cute factor) are not issues. Sigh! It is a very good thing I love the Elio. LOL :-) Z

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I have not read here is the term "Farkels" in the motorcycle world you can add or delete things to make a machine your own. Some things like ABS you need to get from the factory. Most you can add later as you see fit or have the available funds.

Not knowing what options are going to be available now it is hard to tell what my final order will look like. Seems most would be able to add later. Some items like the Bluetooth steering wheel wold probably be cheaper to do up front.

The base vehicle has everything that it needs to make me happy. Will there be must have options, we will have to see.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ride old motorcycles, not classics, but older..a 2001 Honda Valkyrie with 57000 miles and a 2001 BMW K1200LTE with 105000 miles. Both are very different bikes and both haul the mail at a very good clip. I ride most of the year, but as I get older the cold seems to bother me more and more (not to mention I've never liked being cold). Now, enter the ELIO, my new winter ride which I feel will quickly become my primary fun machine. I horse traded for the bikes (an 84 Corvette for the Valkyrie, and old S10 pickup for the Beemer), but I couldn't afford to buy either of them even at today's values. Times change and I can now afford a new vehicle and the Elio is the ONLY thing I've seen that actually excites me.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I have not read here is the term "Farkels" in the motorcycle world you can add or delete things to make a machine your own. Some things like ABS you need to get from the factory. Most you can add later as you see fit or have the available funds.

Not knowing what options are going to be available now it is hard to tell what my final order will look like. Seems most would be able to add later. Some items like the Bluetooth steering wheel wold probably be cheaper to do up front.

The base vehicle has everything that it needs to make me happy. Will there be must have options, we will have to see.

And ABS is included on the Elio...:cool:

Top Bottom