• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Whole New Direction

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really want an Elio. I mean REALLLY. I would do anything to get one. Well, maybe not commit murder. Besides, I don't even know where jalopnik lives. Anyway, I think I have a plan to get production started. Redesign the Elio to be an electric vehicle, an Eelio. The batteries would fit where the engine and fuel tank are supposed to go. The electric motors would probably be off the shelf items and most of the rest of the vehicle is already designed. Of course the gas powered Elio would still be in the works. and as soon as finances permitted the gas Elio would go into production as well. Elio could go down the list of people with a SIL and ask "do you want to change your reservation to an Eelio or continue to wait for a gas model. Those that wished to change would get a new spot in line and those that wanted to wait would move up according to the number of people who chose to change to an Eelio.
There seems to be a lot of money available for electric vehicles and there are subsidies and tax credits and the like. The Elio's amazing gas mileage would carry over to the Eelio and I think the price point could be lower than any other comparable vehicle. The efficient design will mean that a 150/200 mile range could be achieved with batteries that charge overnight on household current. I think that a big part of the money needed to start production is the cost of producing the engine. The Eelio eliminates that
Once the plant is up and running a lot of problems will go away. No more lawsuits for non-performance. People will quit asking for their money back and potential investors will not look at a dream but will see a going concern.
Now, I really want a gas Elio but I will give up my SIL to get an Eelio and I think a lot of others will do so as well. In addition a number of people who want an electric car will look at an Eelio for 9 or 10 K and decide that 3 wheels are the way to go.
I know that there are people who are pissed off that I even have the gall to suggest that any thing happen to their SIL or that Elio produce an electric vehicle before a gas powered one but just stop and think. Envision the Elio plant with the paint shop working, frames being stamped out and the guys who put in the seats and the glass and the the fenders and hood all working away. 80% of the people and machines and supplies needed to make a gas Elio all up and running. Elios on the road and people finding out about them and finding out that it is not a scam or a pipe dream. How long do you think it would be before gas Eelios are coming off the line. If 65,000 people bought into the idea of an Elio when it was just an idea think of what will happen when it is no longer just an idea.
Yes, I will give up my spot in line (6109) to get an Eelio and as soon as I am asked to choose I will put down money for a new SIL for a gas model. For those who are still upset at my heresy just think HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE!

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really want an Elio. I mean REALLLY. I would do anything to get one. Well, maybe not commit murder. Besides, I don't even know where jalopnik lives. Anyway, I think I have a plan to get production started. Redesign the Elio to be an electric vehicle, an Eelio. The batteries would fit where the engine and fuel tank are supposed to go. The electric motors would probably be off the shelf items and most of the rest of the vehicle is already designed. Of course the gas powered Elio would still be in the works. and as soon as finances permitted the gas Elio would go into production as well. Elio could go down the list of people with a SIL and ask "do you want to change your reservation to an Eelio or continue to wait for a gas model. Those that wished to change would get a new spot in line and those that wanted to wait would move up according to the number of people who chose to change to an Eelio.
There seems to be a lot of money available for electric vehicles and there are subsidies and tax credits and the like. The Elio's amazing gas mileage would carry over to the Eelio and I think the price point could be lower than any other comparable vehicle. The efficient design will mean that a 150/200 mile range could be achieved with batteries that charge overnight on household current. I think that a big part of the money needed to start production is the cost of producing the engine. The Eelio eliminates that
Once the plant is up and running a lot of problems will go away. No more lawsuits for non-performance. People will quit asking for their money back and potential investors will not look at a dream but will see a going concern.
Now, I really want a gas Elio but I will give up my SIL to get an Eelio and I think a lot of others will do so as well. In addition a number of people who want an electric car will look at an Eelio for 9 or 10 K and decide that 3 wheels are the way to go.
I know that there are people who are pissed off that I even have the gall to suggest that any thing happen to their SIL or that Elio produce an electric vehicle before a gas powered one but just stop and think. Envision the Elio plant with the paint shop working, frames being stamped out and the guys who put in the seats and the glass and the the fenders and hood all working away. 80% of the people and machines and supplies needed to make a gas Elio all up and running. Elios on the road and people finding out about them and finding out that it is not a scam or a pipe dream. How long do you think it would be before gas Eelios are coming off the line. If 65,000 people bought into the idea of an Elio when it was just an idea think of what will happen when it is no longer just an idea.
Yes, I will give up my spot in line (6109) to get an Eelio and as soon as I am asked to choose I will put down money for a new SIL for a gas model. For those who are still upset at my heresy just think HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE!

Geeze, 76 views and not a single youdumbshit or attaboy or like or reply. I have never replied to my own post before but I am curious. Is my original post too dumb for words or has it been stated better elsewhere or what. AARP just put out a statement on msn.com that electric vehicles are poised to boom as batteries get better and more people get used to the idea. I want Elio to be ready to take advantage of that boom or of any other idea that gets them on the road
[ BETTER THAN NONE![/QUOTE]

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not a terrible idea, it's just not a great one either in my opinion. If I want an electric then there are other options out now and on the horizon. I want either gas or a gas / hybrid hence why I'm here. Electric micro cars are much further along and when you add in the main stream four wheelers that market is pretty much covered.

Electric aficionados would be better served with either Sam or Electro Mecanica.

edit-- just to be clear I would NOT buy an electric Elio. I realize I am a little behind. I would however buy and even pay a little more for a hybrid assuming it's a good design. I would want an electric motor on the rear powered by regenerative breaking.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An EElio would be a complete redesign. The MSRP would be much higher, and the range would be much lower.
On the plus side, EELIO could have a frunk, and potentially be very fast.
The only way with current battery tech to get decent range, and performance, is with a large quantity of cells. The good design EV's have a floorboard that is covered in lithium, and the poor design EV's usually have a big hunk of lithium behind the back seat.
If the EElio had a floorboard battery, I do wonder what it would cost?
My guess would be somewhere between 18K and 38K. If it was closer to 18K and performed like this 80K, https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace/index.html , I would definitely be interested.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the issue with few responses is that this has been discussed already, Elio has publicly stated that they were not doing an electric first, and I am not sure this would get them there any faster. They would still need the hundreds of millions up front to get into production and I doubt that this money would magically appear if they just switched to electric vs gas. I bet the design switch would actually delay production.

Sondors is saying they can do a 200 mile electric model that seats three people for $16,000 ($10,000 base price for 75 miles, $13,000 for 150 miles). They are shooting for April 2019 to start production but their latest prototype design work has be reeeeally quiet. IF they can actually hit their price point then an Eelio would have to work pretty hard to hit that low bar.

But a $7,500 gas model is still the killer deal.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The E-Elio would have been a good idea 10 years ago, not today. Here's why:

1. The EV investment ship set sail a long time ago and Tesla is at the helm.
2. The Chinese are way ahead of us in small EV vehicles. If they would just make a 3 wheeler, they could flood our market with cheap ones. With them making 4 wheelers, that's not so easy. They are patient and will wait and see what happens here. When they make a move, you'll know it after it's too late.
3. Current 3 wheelers like the Solo and Sondors can work but you can see that if they had the investment like Tesla, they would have been in major production right now. The Sam is a joke and only a handful will want that death trap. Arcimoto is just a niche product that is seasonal and for retired people on golf course communities.
4. Major car companies will continue to get the price down and range up on EV's. It'll happen but not before Elio gets to production next year.

Elio has a window of opportunity and with them getting to production in 2019, they need to make a run for it because the new EV's will be coming and the price of gas right now is stabilizing. So by 2019, it'll be ready for another jump.

Elio can utilize the revenue from the current production Elio to then invest in the E-Elio. That's how business works and how Elio should proceed. By then, the E-Elio should be at around $10K and 500 mile range and an hour to recharge. I think most people would need an hour break after driving 500 miles straight. I know I do.

Top Bottom