• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aamva's "best Practices" Policy Guide For Three-wheeled Vehicles.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Last November," (That would have been 2013) "the American Association of Motor Vehicles Administrators (AAMVA), a national authority on best policy for all state DMVs and Licensing Bureaus, recommended the Elio be driven with a standard driver’s license. In that regard, The AAMVA released their new “Best Practices” policy on licensing and registration of three-wheel vehicles certified as motorcycles by the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA)."

"This is from last year, but I've not seen anything about it on this site.
Well worth the view. There's an article, a video and a link to the PDF of the actual guide.

Click here for AAMVA's guide for 3-wheeled vehicles article.

Last edited:

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last time I looked we are already half way thru 2015. The group suggests "best policy" each state is free to do what they want, as they have...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last time I looked we are already half way thru 2015.
Yeah Karl,

I know what year it is.
That's why I stated, "This is from last year, but I've not seen anything about it on this site."
I thought it still might be of passing interest to some of our members, so I shared it.

I apologize if I've wasted any of your time.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Last November," (That would have been 2013) "the American Association of Motor Vehicles Administrators (AAMVA), a national authority on best policy for all state DMVs and Licensing Bureaus, recommended the Elio be driven with a standard driver’s license. In that regard, The AAMVA released their new “Best Practices” policy on licensing and registration of three-wheel vehicles certified as motorcycles by the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA)."

"This is from last year, but I've not seen anything about it on this site.
Well worth the view. There's an article, a video and a link to the PDF of the actual guide.

Click here for AAMVA's guide for 3-wheeled vehicles article.

This guide has been referenced before on this site. Joel uses it a a template
when trying to get states to change their Motor Vehicle laws to accommodate
Autocycles.............:)

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked up Washington State (since that's where I live) for endorsements, here's how it reads:

To legally ride in Washington, you must have a 2-wheel motorcycle or 3-wheel sidecar/trike:
Endorsement on your driver license.
  • or
  • Motorcycle instruction permit to learn how to ride on public roadways.
If you have a… You…
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
  • Is larger than 50cc
  • or
  • Can go faster than 30 mph
Need a 2-wheel endorsement
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
  • Is 50cc or smaller
  • and
  • Has a maximum speed of 30 mph
Don’t need an endorsement
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter with a stabilizing conversion kit installed. Need a 3-wheel endorsement
Motorcycle with a sidecar Need a 3-wheel endorsement
3-wheel trike Need a 3-wheel endorsement
3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel Don’t need an endorsement
Motorcycle endorsement codes – We add these codes to your driver license to show that you’ve successfully tested and are allowed to:

• 3 = ride all 2-wheel motorcycles.
  • 5 = ride all 3-wheel trikes/sidecars.
  • 7 = ride all 2-wheels and 3-wheels.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Karl,

I know what year it is.
That's why I stated, "This is from last year, but I've not seen anything about it on this site."
I thought it still might be of passing interest to some of our members, so I shared it.

I apologize if I've wasted any of your time.

Must have more than enough, keep coming back. Did not intend to be demeaning, sorry if you got that vibe.

Top Bottom