• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Adjusted For Inflation

JK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1) Elio is never going to make it to production.
2) If a new investor were to buy the Elio name, or take over the assets, they would not buy the liabilities. Whether through bankruptcy of Elio or other legal means, they would not take on any obligations to honor the reservation pricing. They might offer something like EMV and offer Elio reservationists a discount or priority or whatever, but there will never be a $7k Elio trike produced. Never. Well, maybe a pedal tricycle.
3) Arcimoto and ElectraMeccanica are not success stories. It is unlikely that either with ever reach significant production. Both are far more successful than Elio, but that is saying essentially nothing. At best, perhaps one or both of them will survive as a cottage industry in a niche market.
4) Trikes, either gasoline or electric, just are not mainstream products, especially in the U.S.A.. There will always be a few oddballs like us who are interested in trikes, but we are an extremely small minority interest group.

Don't be too quick to count your broken eggs...

Michael Casey

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Since all our discussions are in the hypothetical, I pose to the group the following: $7500 in 2009 indexed for inflation would be close to $9k today. Several of us already lost their deposits, but secretly still want an Elio. Stay with me here - if Elio got funding (ok, stop laughing now) but had to raise their starting price to $9k, would you still be in?
I would go as high as $12,000 but no more.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want to test drive one tomorrow. Can you show me where there's a FUV dealer in the NYC or Philly area? We got lots of people here. I got two Vanderhall dealers and two Slingshot dealers no more than an hour away. We have boatloads of people here in the NE and are begging to drive one. Winter has been warm, so it's a perfect time. I have checked the FUV site but I am not in the loop as to the test drives so i can get my A.S.S. Just so you know, I do not want to take a 12 hour round trip flight to Oregon just to take a test drive. That is expensive and take lots of time. If i decide to do this, when can I get mine? Does FUV need to fulfill the 5K orders first? If they do or don't, when can I get white glove delivery to the NYC or Philly area? Can I just buy the $11,900 one as spending $2K for a test drive is a bit much if I have to fly there and then get lodging.
The good news is you can test drive the FUV and the first 100 pilot fleet retail FUV’s are being delivered to happy customers. Back in 2012, Chip Stempeck, EM’s Marketing Chief, emailed and said, “things are moving at a fast pace and you will have a test drive opportunity very soon”. I was ready to drive or book a flight for that test drive to determine if the Elio ‘fit’ and met my performance and handling expectations. I have more unanswered questions regarding the Elio than you have regarding the FUV.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So it sounds like you would hold Elio to the contract - many of us want to do the same.

Adjusting the start-up costs to the same inflation level puts this even farther out of reach.
I did forget what needs to be added onto that $433M. There's the $7.5M fine and the ongoing cost of $261,204 per month for lease and equipment payments. Whatever that has added up to right now is at least another $3M. The $433M is more like $444M.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did forget what needs to be added onto that $433M. There's the $7.5M fine and the ongoing cost of $261,204 per month for lease and equipment payments. Whatever that has added up to right now is at least another $3M. The $433M is more like $444M.
Plus the loans at 18% interest, would be north of 500 million.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last new motorcycle I bought had an MSRP well north of 21K without options. I didn't pay retail that industry is in the skids. We are all buying pickup trucks and suburban assault vehicles and bi$ching about the price of fuel. Build them and I will buy.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last new motorcycle I bought had an MSRP well north of 21K without options. I didn't pay retail that industry is in the skids. We are all buying pickup trucks and suburban assault vehicles and bi$ching about the price of fuel. Build them and I will buy.
Not all of us. :) I have no need for a pickup truck or suburban assault vehicle, not bi$ching about the price of fuel, recently did buy my first new motorcycle and scheduling delivery of that urban commuter electric motorcycle with a MSRP $19,900. I’ll use the FU three wheeler the same as I would have used my Elio, as a daily driver supplement (&) to my primary vehicle. They are building them, many are reserving, buying, and have taken delivery. Certainly doesn’t meet everybody’s likes, needs, and wants, but nice to be aware of options.

510E30C1-529F-4FF3-8041-706C2056BA33.jpeg E524553F-784E-4ECB-80BC-804A61FE05E8.jpeg

Top Bottom