• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alabama Motorcycle Endorsement

Macadamean

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Despite this article:
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/alabama_only_state_that_doesnt.html

I have done research on whether or not the police feel an adult license carrier (without a motorcycle endorsement) can legally ride a motorcycle in state. I found that some cops will ticket you without one regardless. I also find it strange that an adult can still get an endorsement if it's not a requirement. Perhaps this is because of inter-state reciprocating laws. The law seems to specifically mention teenagers getting the endorsement before they can legally license, but then is hazy about licensed adult carrers.

Has anyone done any additional research or heard any word on the Alabama front? Perhaps motorcycle owners?

HeR3tic

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Insofar as other states surrounding AL may require an M endorsement for all Mcycle drivers regardless of age it would behoove a wannabe AL Elio driver to shell out the $23.50 to get one up front; a one-time outlay. The pickle will come along when the proficiency testing requirement, not simply the written exam, comes along further down the road. Maneuvering a MC zig-zag proficiency course between the cones in a 104" * wheel based vehicle will bring about some raised eye brows, but certainly do-able. * it is 104" right?

Fed law, so it is as Ive read, prescribes 3-wheelers as a Mcycle. Whether states rights are upheld is a question worth asking in this matter. What about insurance rates and the general penalty applied to youse renegades. Just ask ALFA what are the rates on a 1000cc MC, you might just soil your lingerie. I had a heart attack when they told me the coverage cost on a 2300cc cycle. Go GEICO.

Then the next question is whether youre gonna need to wear a helmet. It is a MC, by Fed law. Having that teensy weensy license plate (quite appropriate), youre flagged as a MC rider; and, AL requires a helmet for MC riders. It dunt matter that youve got a roll cage and air bags around you, youve got a 20-27 point* militarized police force ticketing you for not wearing a helmutt; and, you aint gonna be driving off without one on your head, after getting the ticket.

*20-27 point: anything above indicates a capability to think outside the box.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Despite this article:
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/alabama_only_state_that_doesnt.html

I have done research on whether or not the police feel an adult license carrier (without a motorcycle endorsement) can legally ride a motorcycle in state. I found that some cops will ticket you without one regardless. I also find it strange that an adult can still get an endorsement if it's not a requirement. Perhaps this is because of inter-state reciprocating laws. The law seems to specifically mention teenagers getting the endorsement before they can legally license, but then is hazy about licensed adult carrers.

Has anyone done any additional research or heard any word on the Alabama front? Perhaps motorcycle owners?
This was written in March of 2013. Do you know if anything changed this year? :-) Z

HeR3tic

Elio Fan
Reaction score
This was written in March of 2013. Do you know if anything changed this year? :) Z
Considering the long long time period during which homebrewing beer has been illegal, only very recently and with a long list of petition signature necessary to change the law, you might bet your pay check itll be just as long before a well engineered Elio 3-wheeler car will be accepted as such. The
wave of reasonable change in AL will come along when the next generation reaches their voting age. The answer will only be expedited with a change in Fed law. Why the Fed dictates what is or isnt a MC I must defer to some numb nut polytick know it all.

Treborfoot

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Code of Alabama

Section 32-1-1.1

(33) MOTORCYCLE. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: camjulward <camjulward@aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Oct 2, 2014 9:36 am
Subject: ELIO MOTORS

Cam I will try to keep this brief. First, this has nothing to do with Gun Rights. <grin>
I am not sure if you have heard of this yet to be produced vehicle and I believe they have made contact with the State concerning the classification of this new vehicle.

Under current Alabama Law I believe this vehicle will be classified as a motorcycle. I know ELIO MOTORS wants this vehicle classified as an automobile in every state and they are marketing the vehicle as a car, not a motorcycle. Personally I would like it classified as an automobile for no other reason than not having to wear a helmet while operating the vehicle.

They are scheduled to be in Birmingham on October 24-26 at a yet to be determined location..I have included a edited press release on that subject.

I include a front view photo of the vehicle at the bottom of the email...It contains three airbags and they claim it has good safety reviews from their test.

NOTE: I have reservation number 7801 (preordered with down payment of $1000.00) and will receive the 7801 vehicle produced. Production should start 3rd Quarter 2015. They have over 34,000 reservations to date.

Robert W. Kennedy Jr.

----------------------------------------------
Robert, I have read about these cars. Pretty neat. I am sure we can get the classification changed when we go back into session in March. I suspect this group probably already has a lobbyist hired to push this anyway but if they don't I would not mind initiating it.

Respectfully,
Cam Ward
State Senator
P.O. Box 1749
Alabaster, Al. 35007
205-664-1066
334-242-7873
www.camward.com

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know ELIO MOTORS wants this vehicle classified as an automobile in every state and they are marketing the vehicle as a car, not a motorcycle. Personally I would like it classified as an automobile for no other reason than not having to wear a helmet while operating the vehicle.

Not true. Elio Motors does not want it classified as an automobile and they are not marketing it as a car.

Almost everyone wants it classified as a motorcycle.

You need to do more reading. :)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not true. Elio Motors does not want it classified as an automobile and they are not marketing it as a car.

What Jambe said is true. They are trying to get it classified as an enclosed motorcycle or an auto cycle. If it becomes a car it will cost a whole lot more in every category. Otherwise, good job on the letter. :-) Z

Treborfoot

Elio Fan
Reaction score

I have done quite a bit of reading...

Show me a link where ELIO declares it does not want this vehicle marketed as a car...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elio sells a $6,800 car. It is supposed to be the next stage of driving in America. As an alternative to the explosion of luxury-car, gas-guzzler sales, Elio offers a vehicle that gets 84 mpg. The trouble with the idea is that, based on the company’s site, it has orders for 34,812 cars through September 28 — hardly a figure on which a manufacture can build a successful automobile business.

Read more: Elio Sales of $6,800 Car Slow - The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Ja... (NYSE:pBY) - 24/7 Wall St.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2014/10/05/elio-sales-of-6800-car-slow/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elio said his eponymous car would be available for purchase on a plan where the gasoline cost savings effectively “pay” the car payment. The new owner would be given a credit card for purchasing gasoline, and every time the car was filled up, Elio would charge the card three times the amount of the gasoline purchase. If you purchased $10 in gas, Elio would charge your card $30, with the other $20 going toward paying off the balance on your car note. The only catch, Elio said, was that you had to use the card every time you gas up. Up for debate is how Elio Motors plans on enforcing that requirement — we didn’t ask during our interview.

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car-tech/4857/not-a-typo-elio-motors-plans-84-mpg-car-priced-at-6800/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From ELIO website

UT San Diego
October 4, 2014
3-wheeled car geared for solo commuter
SOURCE: UT San Diego

By Morgan Lee 4:23 P.M.OCT. 2, 2014

An upstart automaker from Michigan is hoping to hit it big with a tiny three-wheeled car geared toward the solo commuter.

Privately held Elio Motors has designed its namesake vehicle to achieve 84 mile-per-gallon fuel economy on the highway with a standard gasoline engine and no hybrid-electric wizardry.

The Elio weighs just 1,200 pounds, less than half the heft of a Honda Civic. A narrow cockpit, just wide enough for the driver and a tandem rear passenger, dramatically reduces air resistance. A small trunk accommodates a flight-sized carry-on bag, or a duffel with the rear seat folded down.

Sales staff call it a handy second or third car, to complement a family sedan, minivan or SUV. At a base price of $6,800, they say, the Elio quickly pays for itself in fuel savings and by keeping mileage off primary family vehicles.

http://www.eliomotors.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A new U.S. automaker with a $6800, 84 MPG, 3-wheeled "car" on the way

Elio’s founder and CEO, automotive engineer Paul Elio, tells us the original concept behind Elio Motors was to help Americans struggling with high prices at the pump. The automaker is marketing it as an “and” (i.e. in addition to your current vehicle) not “or” car, for things like driving to work.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/the-new-us-automaker-s--6800--84-mpg-elio--142815228.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 ELIO MOTORS, 3 Wheel Car Future

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elio Motors promises a weird $6,800 car

Paul Elio, who founded Elio Motors from the crumbled remains of his auto parts design business, said this car isn't intended to replace the family car, and by the looks of it, clearly it's not.

The weird three-wheeled shape optimizes aerodynamics by cutting way down on frontal area and giving the car a nearly ideal "teardrop" body. Having only three wheels also allows the Elio car to be, in legal terms, a motorcycle.

That should let the company skate by on much looser safety requirements. But, Elio insists, they don't plan on taking advantage of that loophole. The car will be tested in regular automobile crash tests and, they insist, it will get top marks.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/26/autos/elio-motors/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Show me a link where ELIO Motors, not some ignorant, hack reporters, says they want it classified as a car. :rolleyes: :)

Try all CAPS next time to let us know what you are saying is really important and is to be believed.

Top Bottom