• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

All Successful Downsized Cars Had A Certain Pezazz That Distinguished Them Markedly From The Others

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Fiat 500, the Volkswagen, the Minicooper, to name a few. I think the Elio has very much that certain unique excitement thing going for it. Certainly for several reasons. Maybe you can name a few reasons yourselves. One can never have to much of it, pezazz, i mean.
That's why maybe an Elio dressed as an operational millitary vehicle would be an attention grabber too. How about one of those on Hothouse glass canopies some WWII aircraft had. No doubt that type of canopy gives no protection from the sun but placing the top panels with photo sensistive darkening would knock the sun problem down. Super sporty with canopy that slides back over itself when exiting puts a little swagger in you when exiting that way. LOL

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose the Fiat 500 was a success for Fiat. This year's monthly sales so far are 454, 416, 439, and 335. Extrapolating that out for the year means they should sell about 6,576 this year. They did manage to sell 43,772 in 2012 in their first full year of sales but it's been a rather steady decline since.

Of course, there are way more Fiat 500s than Elios on the road today... {sigh}

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see a Speedster version. Convertible with a cut down windscreen. The open front fenders with chrome wheels with chrome moon hubcaps. I'd have mine in black with brass insignias and Super 55 on the back (as for any of you old Porsche guys remember the Super 60 and Super 90, the number was the hp of the engine). Then a chrome luggage rack on the back with tan leather luggage held down with leather straps.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
User designed custom wraps, with the creator getting a small percent of sales. With some of the talented Elio fans we have could be a hit. Might help with pezzaz without the engineering expense.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't I read somewhere that the Fiat 500 has the worst build quality of any car sold in the U.S.? That's odd, isn't it built in Mexico?
I remember reading an article about assembly quality. The writer stated that the quality of all vehicles was similar except for Fiat 500.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you remember "how" the 500 was different? I only ask because my wife is pressing me for a new car and thinks the 500 is "cute". Yuk!
The build quality was the worst of vehicles brought into Canada. Drive section from The Globe And Mail. This was a few years ago so maybe quality has improved. Build quality can not compare to cuteness. My condolences.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The build quality was the worst of vehicles brought into Canada. Drive section from The Globe And Mail. This was a few years ago so maybe quality has improved. Build quality can not compare to cuteness. My condolences.

Thanks for the sympathy. Poor me! Anyway, not only do I not think it's "cute" I think the damn things look like the ultimate weeniemobile. Her other choice is the beetle (for the same reason).... Women, what can ya do? That little jewel costs a bundle and is also a looser. I friend of mine had one and said it was the worst, most unreliable, repair prone piece of junk he ever owned. The pickle I'm in is; I've got a wife with the car bug which I hoped to cure with an Elio (on the cheap). It looks like I've been let down and can't stall her off much longer.

Sorry if I'm boring you guys with my personal problem, but just have to vent. I'm sure some of you can relate.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought an Abarth at an insurance auction with 15K on it. It was in a front end accident and blew the airbags. I literally bought it for $900. Then I bought a front clip from another Abarth (the same color and rebuilt the front end). Found a steering wheel and dash (both are no good after it blows the airbags). In the end I had around $3K wrapped up in it. Really simple car to work on and I never thought it was any different than any other cheap mass produced car when it came to build quality.

I had it for about a year and sold it. It was a blast to drive and one thing I thought was interesting, the Abarth does not have any muffler at all. The cat is right off of the turbo and from there, a straight pipe to the back (that's OEM). After a while it was pretty annoying due to the exhaust and it did ride a bit rough. I had the dealer run the VIN and the only thing the car ever had done to it was the oil change at 10K. No problems at all.

Top Bottom