• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a second one towards the end of the slide show that didn't impress me as much as the first one. First thing I thought was "was didn't it have a virtual keyboard" until I remembered the article I read about how people hate those projected keyboards; no tactile feedback for one.
But that Pons<?> work space didn't make any sense at first, until I looked at the second picture.
Those 3/4 "bubbles" would be great for killing shared workspace noise.

I vacationed in Thailand in Dec 2010. My wife's friend did a website for us on a projected keyboard on a concrete table. It was the first projected keyboard I had ever seen.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I vacationed in Thailand in Dec 2010. My wife's friend did a website for us on a projected keyboard on a concrete table. It was the first projected keyboard I had ever seen.
They've been out for a while (I think about 12 years) Staples carried the first one, and now there's like a dozen different brands.
But they all suffer the same problem; no tactile feedback, no click, no chance of being user friendly if you touch type. They don't work in bright light and the list goes on with drawbacks; but they look really cool when you pop it out and set it on a table in a bar or restaurant. :becky:

Here's one with review: http://www.brookstone.com/virtual-keyboard/796246p.html

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this the train from Back to the Future II?
No, it isn't. Back to the Future III, yes. II, no.

Back to the Future II was when Marty had to repeat his trip to 1955 without interfering with his first visit. Doc saved him in the tunnel by pulling him up with the flags from the hovering Delorean. After setting Marty down right at the end of the movie, Doc gets hit by lightning and vanishes (after talking about visiting the old west). It starts pouring down rain and immediately, a messenger delivers a letter to Marty telling him he's stuck in 1855...

And though you got the movie mixed up, you DID get the right series and, more importantly, you DID correctly identify or represent, the fact that this thread and it's track have parted ways!

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, it isn't. Back to the Future III, yes. II, no.

And though you got the movie mixed up, you DID get the right series and, more importantly, you DID correctly identify or represent, the fact that this thread and it's track have parted ways!
What? A flux capacitor-powered Elio isn't geeky enough for you?

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
<Moved here from the Elio Standard and Optional Parts>
Don't be too sure:
IBM360
Univac 1108 at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
Sperry Rand announced the UNIVAC 1108 in the summer of 1964 and delivered the first one in late 1965. Essentially it was an improved version of the 1107. Like the IBM 360, the UNIVAC 1108 used a combination of transistors and integrated circuits. Integrated circuits took the place of the thin film memory for the general register stack, giving an access time of 125 nanoseconds, as compared with 670 nanoseconds on the 1107. The 1108's main memory used smaller and faster cores, so that its cycle time (750 nanoseconds) was five times faster than the 1107. The original version of the 1108 had 65,536 words of memory organized in two banks. In addition to the faster components, the 1108 incorporated two major design improvements over the 1107: base registers and additional hardware instructions. The 1108 hardware had two base registers, so that all program addressing was done relative to the values in the base registers. This permitted dynamic relocation: over the duration of its execution, a program's instructions and its data could be positioned anywhere in memory each time it was loaded. Since the base registers were 18 bits, this allowed a maximum address space of 262,144 words. The additional hardware instructions included double-precision floating point arithmetic, double-precision fixed-point addition and subtraction, and various double-word load, store, and comparison instructions. The 1108 processor had up to 16 input/output channels to connect to peripherals. The programming of these channels was done with specific machine instructions, and there was no capability to build multiple-step channel programs.
Excuse me. i'm in the wrong room. Where's Macro Economics 101?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Been quiet in this thread, let's change that a little:

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: A look at the major changes heading your way

And Win10 is including a Ubuntu command line shell and some other Linux parts (it's around frame 10 or 11)

And they plan on screwing up the START button, guess they didn't learn enough the first time.
When I doubt, repeat the same steps that didn't work before ....... <sigh>

link below info for folks on metered data plans

Huge Auto-Download Windows 10 “Anniversary Update” Coming August 2nd

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Want to guess how busy MS networks are today, and how busy they will be tomorrow?
It's a 3.8GB download; and unless you have a really "healthy" internet connection, it takes a while to download.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of Healthy internet connections, how about 2 - 100gbps feed lines
This is what they decided to do at the new ballpark in Cleveland Ohio; There will be 1,000 "broadcast" points; 700 in the park; another 300 in the walkways and parking lots

You can read about it here: New Cleveland Stadium

Top Bottom