• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone wanted to see some of the art work I'd started around 2002. I'll start posting those here. These were all done in Sketchup. The intent was to encourage some one to produce such a vehicle. I have no idea if any of this influenced Elio Motors indirectly or otherwise. Eventually I'll post my 1984 work as well.
PutNey.jpg
PutNeyF.jpg

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember your work from the Yahoo boards, if this is Arik Leatham. Loved your designs, and it's eerie how much the P4 resembles your model--it only differs by having a fastback.

Interestingly, I think the final model will have wheels about as wide as your drawing--because low rolling resistance will be critical to reaching the fuel economy goals, since aerodynamics is about as good as it can get (within 5% of near perfect.)

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thought too. Although 'Putney' was totally single seat with very minimal space and height. Yep, it's me :).. (I just noticed that the 3D ware house is back, search Detalidon {or OSCS} plus 3d warehouse on google) On the P4, I think they can do more with the underbelly. Also, it occurs to me that the mirrors could be turned into arms with camera's facing to the rear. Physical mirrors could be inside the window for back-up. This is a bit better position than a camera at the rear. Perhaps that could be a upgrade package. When I saw the real P4 in person, I noticed that the forward window pillar had a slight edge. That could be rounded to the classic 3in radius. I mentioned to Paul himself that a rubber barrier at the AArms would seal air flow there. He said that was too expensive of a feature. So from my point of view, I could do a aftermarket kit for that and include aerodynamic sleeves for the arms and steering link, etc. And on the current wheel shrouds, if they made them 2-3 in longer but with a more curved trailing edge, it wouldn't change the look or weight much, but could tighten the foot print of the 'flow-shadow' by some percentage, maybe 30 to 50%. A sharper trailing cutoff would be good. There should be lots of aftermarket opportunity making various fenders for the final car. (P5?)

Last edited:

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What changes to the underbelly? Make it more of a V-shaped hull?

I would simply integrate mirrors into the rear of the fender skirts (flat mirrors, covered by clear plastic for good aerodynamics) and delete the mirror stalks. As far as I know, the law requires physical outboard mirrors, and cameras as non-primary means.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

I would simply integrate mirrors into the rear of the fender skirts (flat mirrors, covered by clear plastic for good aerodynamics) and delete the mirror stalks. As far as I know, the law requires physical outboard mirrors, and cameras as non-primary means.
A nice idea, but I could barely see the fender skirts in normal driving position + the fenders are one of the most likely parts to be replaced.

What is the point of a V shaped hull? The less air between the Elio and the road the higher the MPG. Are you planning on making the Elio IED resistant?

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Currently the prototypes have had no belly pan for simplicity, though elio has made reference to a belly pan being designed and installed with the iav engine prior to production to improve aerodynamics and thermal management.

Darrell

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I like the idea of a belly pan both for aerodynamics, and to shield the frame from road salt. However in Boston, Jerome said they had considered a belly pan, but are able to achieve 84 MPG without one. They also said that the side mirrors are going to be considerably larger ( putting them on the fenders would introduce too much vibration). Jerome also said there is probably not going to be a P5, but rather go directly to the testing version.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea of a belly pan both for aerodynamics, and to shield the frame from road salt. However in Boston, Jerome said they had considered a belly pan, but are able to achieve 84 MPG without one. They also said that the side mirrors are going to be considerably larger ( putting them on the fenders would introduce too much vibration). Jerome also said there is probably not going to be a P5, but rather go directly to the testing version.
Cool, I really like the P4. I'd just as happy to keep that exact style. Other people like the Frog lights. I think an aftermarket kit could supply that.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
01Taddy.jpg
02TaddyF2Ev.jpg
04TaddyF3Ev.jpg
... I'll start posting those here. ... Eventually I'll post my 1984 work as well.
So in keeping with my promise, Here's the first installment(attached). From 1982 to 1984 I built my first 3wheeler. The images you see are snaps (2d exports) from the 3d models based on 'Taddy' I made in Sketchup. The last image (on the next post) has an actual photo of the real chassis. It was 100% aluminum, and was never final 'skinned'.
The original chassis had a top-wing to give a legal location for the headlight that didn't disrupt the air-flow or block the driver's view. The second image is a modernized version that has a more sensible windshield that could be fabricated in flat-wrapped plastic, a big cost savings. By the end of the Taddy project, I had concluded that rearwheel drive was just not suitable for all weather commuting. So my interest was re-conceived as an electric front wheel drive. Some of my Taddy 3d models reflect that.

I just want to add some keywords here so that google searches can find this post/or/thread. Bubblecar, bubble car, cyclecar, trycar, tricar, three wheeler, 3 wheeler, reverse trike, RT, minicar, microcar, citycar, trikecar. 2F1R, velomobile. High Ecconomy, ecconobox, high mpg. Open Source Vehicle, OSV, That should about do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom