• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Fuel Infastructure.

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I havn't done an exhaustive study, but it seems like both CNG and LP can make engines run. From what I have read CNG can be made at home by your homes natural gas, and LP has a higher energy density than gasoline. How far could you travel on a blue rino tank? Of course deisel would be the easiest alternative, I actually like the idea of a desiel Elio, touque and mileage wise. I see infastructure as the main problem to alternatives, but if your car is going to be tethered to an outlet at home, why not use CNG?

I'm not calling for anything that will delay the Elio, just starting a conversation with people smarter than me. We have time to kill.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I havn't done an exhaustive study, but it seems like both CNG and LP can make engines run. From what I have read CNG can be made at home by your homes natural gas, and LP has a higher energy density than gasoline. How far could you travel on a blue rino tank? Of course deisel would be the easiest alternative, I actually like the idea of a desiel Elio, touque and mileage wise. I see infastructure as the main problem to alternatives, but if your car is going to be tethered to an outlet at home, why not use CNG?
I'm not calling for anything that will delay the Elio, just starting a conversation with people smarter than me. We have time to kill.

In 79 and 80 I drove a company pickup that had both CNG and gasoline. We used gasoline primarily on the highways for the additional power and the CNG in town to lessen the pollution. It was really just a gimmick for public relations. The CNG tank in the pickup bed took up 1/4 of the space. Since this was primarily used as an executive vehicle the loss of space was not relevant. The power loss was very noticeable when we ran out of gasoline on the freeway and switched to CNG.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, those fuels will work & could be "retro fitted"(?) to the Elio. But to maximize efficiency the spark should be advanced, the compression should be raised, and the fuel map should be adjusted(The simplified version). Let's allow EM to finish what they have started, then we can improve and modify our Elios the ways (we each think) they should be. ;) :)

Top Bottom