• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Alternative Importing and Licensing

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 'Bex Built' car is coming along nicely.
And there are a several ways that could be delivered to the US. But one way possible is as a kit car.
The Bex car will involve a full body that is built under Mr Bex's management. But all other assembly could be more flexible as to where and when that happens. So this got me curious, and I just simply wanted an alternative, just in case.

If the car is handled completely thru to Licensing by a US based importer, well, this would then remove any requirement for investigation into alternatives, such as DIY assembly. This importer could provide anywhere from small lot local builds up thru full importing of fully finished vehicles at any intended volume.

But what if you don't want to wait for that to be set up? Or want to save money using donor car parts or owner assembly?, or like me, just want assurance of an alternative? That is what this thread is about. If you have knowledge about such things (or find out something about it), this thread is to gather that up here.

Ask your questions, post anything you know or have experienced.

There are similar ongoing activities in the US such as;
#1) Custom Built DIY (includes Kits and raw from-ground-up bench built),
#2) Boutique Shop built (final local assembly of sub-assemblies-kit ), and owner-self licensed,
#3) Boutique Shop built plus Licensing Services(owner signs and authorizes all paperwork).
#4) Boutique Shop built plus commercially provided licensing.

To you and me, #4 is every bit like a fully finished vehicle import, except to say, it is limited to some level that avoids full federal red tape by keeping under some level of production. In some states that is around 10 cars each month, and some at 10 each year, (varies state by state) and sometimes referred to as 'Boutique'.

So #4 is not addressed here, being a little out of scope and beyond our reach as unprofessional and inexperienced individuals.
This is likely very close to what the ElectraMechanica Solo is, but is retailed in Canada, and afterward then imported to the US.

My goal here is to end up with a viable check list of what must happen, in each state. Mostly for the US but don't feel restricted by country.

So in my next post, you will see an opening salvo pointed at this subject.
PS, include date of the reference and a link-URL where you can. Or at least name the source.

Below is the checklist that results from the discussion;
(this will be updated here as things are discovered)

For Arizona, USA
*1) Collect all receipts for things you buy that go into this car. In particular the body, chassis, engine and transmission must be covered.
---a) be sure the car has a visible VIN or a publically visible spot for the VIN to be attached on the chassis.
*2) Validate your engine, is sourced in the US or represented as approved by US emissions requirements.
*3) Gather up;
----a) An emissions compliance form
----b) Title and Registration Application
----c) Get Proof of car insurance
----d) mark where it applies as an autocycle or motorcycle if that applies in your case/state
----e) Proof of residence (state driver's license)
*4) Get temp permit so you can drive it to inspection (or need to trailer it to an inspection)
*5) Get emissions test completed (if not hybrid or full electric)
*6) Bring all paperwork, reserve a schedule for and goto/get an inspection.
----a) Get a level 2 inspection
----b) Get / Keep a copy of the test-completion print-out.
*7) Submit all paperwork and pay the licensing fees(at least $60), obtain the temp registration, temp license tag.
----a) they will print and attach a VIN plate (sticker), if your chassis/body does not have one.
------- in a custom build it is not automatically assumed to exist, and one must exist for each car. So expose a visible chassis location for that.
*8) Attach the temp tag
*9) When it arrives in the mail, attach the license plate.
*10) Done

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(First installment)
Aug 19, 2016

Arizona considers kit cars “custom built cars.” Before a custom built car can be titled and registered, it must pass a vehicle inspection. ... All invoices, receipts or bills of sale associated with the major components of the car must be brought to the vehicle inspection.

Once the custom built car has been inspected, the rest of the registration process proceeds as with any other vehicle purchase. Several documents will be required. These include:

Proof of residence
Proof of car insurance
An emissions compliance form
Title and Registration Application
Proof of inspection

This process will also include several registration fees. This process is meant to ensure that every vehicle on our Arizona roads is legal and safe.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aug 19, 2016

Registering Your vehicle
Complete and turn in the title and registration application.
Provide proof of a Level I inspection, if applicable. ...
Current registration or out-of-state title.
Bring proof of Arizona car insurance.
Driver's license or other form of photo ID.
Pay registration fees.

Titling and registration fees
Registration fee is $8
90-day registration fee is $15
3-day permit is $1
Air quality research fee is $1.50
Title fee is $4

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Aprr 25, 2018

(RichRich)
I went to a few different DMV's and I can't stress to anyone enough that if registering in Arizona to stay away from the Mesa DMV branch. They were absolutely awful. It is well worth the extra drive to go to the Glendale MVD. Officers were fantastic and much more helpful, polite, professional....etc.

1: You need to go around back of the building to the inspection area and get signed in for a LEVEL 2 inspection. Cost will be $25 for the inspection plus $5 for the VIN plate. It seems somewhat disorganized in there but walk up to the desk and ask anyone behind it to get on the Level 2 inspection list. Bring in all your paperwork (MCO and Donor Title) A typical wait time will be apx 2-3 hours. You can pull your car off the trailer after you get signed in. They had me park the car in a little coned off area labeled as "MVD USE ONLY" I recommend getting there very early, they said that people start lining up around 6 to 6:30am. They are open from 8am to 3pm Monday through Friday

2: They will call your name and tell you to drive your car to an inspection bay.

3: Since this will be registered as "Special Construction" and the laws are so vague the only thing they were concerned with is making sure the engine matches the title of the donor and they briefly looked at the MCO from DFGoblin. They were unconcerned with the serial plate that was mounted on the frame from DF.

4: They did not look at any of the working headlights, turn signals/brake lights or horn.
I did not have most of my panels on either, no side panels, no fenders, no fire wall, no wind shield.

5: After they ensure that the paperwork matches your engine and transmission, they will print out a VIN plate right there and attach it somewhere visible on the frame. Be prepared, if your frame is powder coated/painted they will take a bit of sand paper to it to smooth it prior to adhesion. They made it very clear that the vin plate must always stay attached and if it ever starts to peel DO NOT take it off, take it to the inspection station and have a new one printed.

6: Take the paperwork that they give you around front to the MVD. At this time I went to a 3rd party Tags and Title place because they were too busy up front but they will want to see the original invoice so they can charge tax when they register it, I just brought in my invoice that matched the invoice number on the MCO. Since it is a special construction you will not need any emission stuff. Pay the registration and be on your way with your new title and plates.

It took me ALL DAY to get mine registered but it will be much faster and easier for you if you learn from my mistakes and just head straight to the Glendale office.

(LS2GTO)
I agree with Richrich. I took my goblin to get inspected in Tucson, where I live, and the Tucson branch had no idea what to do with the goblin. They ended up not passing my inspection and refunded my money.

After reading RichRich's recommendation, I drove the goblin up to Glendale and got it inspected. They passed it no problem. I would recommend just going to the Glendale branch and not waste your time dealing with another location that has no idea what they are doing.

(askiles)
Good morning guys! So yesterday I went, had the Goblin inspected, assigned a VIN, titled, and registered it. All within 3 hours. It was a pretty easy and fairly painless process. I ended up going to the ADOT inspection location at Broadway and the I-10 in Tempe. I had a 10:20 appointment, got there at 9:55, and they got me right in. I was the only one there. I went over the car with them real quick, let them know what it was, presented them with the invoice for the kit, and the title from the Cobalt donor. 30 minutes later they were done and assigned a VIN to it. Luckily I am also law enforcement, so they were more than cool with me. Having said that, they were 2 younger officers who really liked the car, so they would have been cool as it was. Then I took the paperwork to the MVD, in and out. Easy peasy.

Arizona is a great state to have cars in for the most part! Very lenient. No emissions for these special construction vehicles either.

<Andy, is the license plate cost going to be determined on total cost to build the car, on the cost of the kit invoice, or an estimated cost? We know this will make a difference here in sunny AZ.>

(askiles)
The dollar amount that went on the title was the dollar amount from the DF invoice. That’s the dollar amount the registration was based on. Just upwards of $9k.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mar 19, 2014

(temperacerguy)
I purchased a 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R that was shipped over with some rally cars back in 07. The problem I had with that car is that it had no title (only a de-registration certificate from Japan). Eventually, through many hoops and papers shuffled around, and paying more (it's only $8) fees than I can remember, I eventually had the car legally registered and titled in arizona... So, I have navigated the waters of AZ's title and Registration bureau. Even the inspector laughed and said "you're the first one of these I have been able to pass, and you didn't have to change a thing!" (heh heh heh)

First of all, AZ is a car builder's dream... The laws are very stringent for those who are driving a 73 buick, to try and get those cars off the road, but for the kit car builder, it's very easy.

The GTM and the 818 are considered special construction vehicles. They do not need emissions. They need basic safety equipment and windshields, but that's basically it. If you've lived in AZ long enough, you will have seen at least one or two sand rails with licence plates driving around.

The key is to go to a DMV office that is familiar with the process. The best ones are by the river bottom, where many of the rock crawler, sand rail, and custom car shops are. My favorite is the one in Tempe by the drive in theater (is it still there?). They are ALWAYS busy, but that's because they are an inspection station as well.

Go down there EARLY in the morning... like 10 minutes before they open up (ON A WEEKDAY!!!! THIS IS KEY). and be one of the first people there. Then just go up to the counter, be extremely nice and say "Hey, I'm building this kit car... What do I need to do to get it totally legal. What paperwork do I need to bring in, what's the process? Please tell me EVERYTHING I need, cause I want to come in here and make your job easy for you when it's time to do it."

2nd, be nice, smile!!!! I have had agents wave fees, push things through that I really had not done properly, and go out of their way to help me out. All because I walked up with a smile and joked with them. These agents are dealing with pissed off people who are only there because they HAVE to be... they come up to the window put out, and put off. The agents love when they see someone who doesn't immediately think that they are OWED something!

As it's early in the morning, and the lines are not long... also they are still in a good mood because they havn't had to tell 50 goobers that there's nothing that can be done to get their licence back because they havn't paid their fines, and the goobers are crying because they can't take their crippled mama to her dialysis appointments without the car......(you get the point). You are not that angry and crying goober. You are this nice guy who's trying to make their job easy for them in the future... so they will spend time making sure that you have all the information you need.

(JeromeS13)
Definitive answer:

1. You will need to schedule a Level II inspection. The guy just looked at my paperwork (Certificate of Origin, Title of Destruction from the donor), wrote down the serial number on top of the engine block, and checked the mileage (got it from my AimSport MXL Pista). He affixed the AZ identification number to the chassis. Done.

2. You will need to apply for an Arizona title. Your year/make/model will be 201X/SPCON/SPCON or similar. The year depends on your Certificate of Origin date.

3. You will need insurance. If you get regular insurance, you will be required to have emissions after 5 years from your model year date. However, if you get "collector car insurance" and your declarations page / policy states this, they will input it into the system as such and you will be exempt from emissions. I ended up getting a collector/kit car insurance policy through Leland West.
Notice I did not say "CALL THEM" because AZ MVD's call center is staffed by prisoners who know nothing more than the fee schedule for registration and titles. You will spend 45 minutes on the phone with them as Laquisha in Tent city tries to find someone who knows something. only to end the call with the phrase "go down to the office..." from the prisoner.

AZPete
I finally trailered my 818 to the AZ DMV and got a VIN, title and plates! I showed them collector car insurance, they checked the chassis number vs. the FFR CO, wrote down the number on the block but compared it to nothing (?), then copied my entire 3-inch file of receipts, then added up the receipts to arrive at the registration fee ($380.45). At least no sales tax and no emission test. To anyone doing this, I needed a Level 2 Inspection and they didn't care about lights, wipers, brakes or anything other than checking for possible stolen parts. The inspections open at 7 AM so I arrived at 6:30 to find 12 people waiting in line at the door! Five hours later I left with plates, so be sure to bring a lot of patience!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Feb 1, 2004

State-by-State Guide to Kit Registration

TOUGH (mechanical inspections are more intensive and/or full emissions checks are required): Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, North Dakota, Utah

MODERATE (mechanical inspections are less involved and/or emissions checks are easier to meet): Delaware, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

EASY (procedures are simple and/or no emissions checks are required): Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma

Top Bottom