• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

An Electric Elio??

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm asking about an Elio EV not to impress anyone. Why would you make assumptions and generalize about why some people like the idea of an Elio EV alternative. My reasoning is that I may have a quiet high performance Elio and help to guarantee future oil reserves to enable your Elio ICE fill ups. Consideration for your needs and the environment. Totally unselfish logic.

I bet there are many low income people that support the development of alternative energy vehicles and hope to afford and drive one someday as EVs move more mainstream. I respect the fact that you are not one of them. Please give us a break on our reasons for going Electric.

I may have to settle on the Morgan EV3 while I wait on the electrified Elio.
View attachment 6970

Rickb,
As you know from my previous posts, I live in an area where EVs are almost useless. You appear to take personal offense anytime someone makes a generalized post that is negative to EVs. Where I take umbrage to the EV movement is that my tax dollars are being used to subsidize something which I can neither use nor afford and which has no benefit, real or potential, to me. If EV advocates want to pay the full cost of the vehicle without subsidies, go for it. If you want people like me to subsidize your vehicle I will stand against it.
This is not personal. It is my tax dollars.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb,
As you know from my previous posts, I live in an area where EVs are almost useless. You appear to take personal offense anytime someone makes a generalized post that is negative to EVs. Where I take umbrage to the EV movement is that my tax dollars are being used to subsidize something which I can neither use nor afford and which has no benefit, real or potential, to me. If EV advocates want to pay the full cost of the vehicle without subsidies, go for it. If you want people like me to subsidize your vehicle I will stand against it.
This is not personal. It is my tax dollars.
Then please say that. I am not offended by and respect your lack of interest in EVs. I responded to you telling me why you think I ask questions about, support, and or like the idea of an Elio EV or the importance of supporting the development of alternative vehicles. It's certainly not to impress my environmental friends or anyone else for that matter. Big oil and big auto hasn't taken advantage of my tax dollars? I support the need for both.

Should the taxpayer having no interest in the Elio be supportive of tax revenue being used to support the development and production of the Elio? Yes they should!

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then please say that. I am not offended by and respect your lack of interest in EVs. I responded to you telling me why you think I ask questions about, support, and or like the idea of an Elio EV or the importance of supporting the development of alternative vehicles. It's certainly not to impress my environmental friends or anyone else for that matter. Big oil and big auto hasn't taken advantage of my tax dollars? I support the need for both.

Should the taxpayer having no interest in the Elio be supportive of tax revenue being used to support the development and production of the Elio? Yes they should!

It's called a low interest loan !!!!
The active word being loan.
It has to be paid back. Unlike the subsidies that are given to individual people who buy electric or hybrid vehicles.
Unlike the loan given to GM to avoid Chapter 11 to stave off bankruptcy. NOT !!!
Or the one given to Chrysler. Now owned by Fiat.
Sorry. We return you now to our regularly scheduled non political program. ;)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel obligated to bring up the fact that I did not receive any subsidies for the EV that I purchased, since I bought a used one (it was originally a leased car). It is a 2012 model Nissan Leaf that came with 26k on the odometer, and I paid market price for it (roughly $14,000).

So for about twice the cost of an Elio, I got a 4-seater that still gets over 100-MPG equivilant. And I plug it into the wall at night to charge it :) While I know they're not for everybody, I have become an EV convert when it comes to city driving.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel obligated to bring up the fact that I did not receive any subsidies for the EV that I purchased, since I bought a used one (it was originally a leased car). It is a 2012 model Nissan Leaf that came with 26k on the odometer, and I paid market price for it (roughly $14,000).

So for about twice the cost of an Elio, I got a 4-seater that still gets over 100-MPG equivilant. And I plug it into the wall at night to charge it :) While I know they're not for everybody, I have become an EV convert when it comes to city driving.
On the east coast I can see the city driving, but you're north of me (by about 200+ miles) and that has always been the main stay of my driving, long haul freeway driving. Very seldom do I just drive in town; seem like every time I hop in my vehicle it's at least 50 to 80 miles round trip.
An EV would drive me crazy unless it got 200 to 350 miles on a charge.
(Yes I know the Leaf gets 75 miles per charge, but how far does it go with lights on, heater (or air) on and if winter, the wipers?)

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Do you honestly believe that you would have gotten it at that price if the original owner / leaser had not been incented to buy?
Glad you got a good deal for your use, but the original incentive did trickle down.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the east coast I can see the city driving, but you're north of me (by about 200+ miles) and that has always been the main stay of my driving, long haul freeway driving. Very seldom do I just drive in town; seem like every time I hop in my vehicle it's at least 50 to 80 miles round trip.
An EV would drive me crazy unless it got 200 to 350 miles on a charge.
(Yes I know the Leaf gets 75 miles per charge, but how far does it go with lights on, heater (or air) on and if winter, the wipers?)

The wipers are no drain at all, since the load is so small. AC reduces the range by about 3-7 miles, headlights by about the same. The headlights are LED, so they use a lot less juice than your standard car bulbs (but don't break them! $450 each! But they won't burn out for the life of the car). Cabin heat is the worst on the range, so we typically just stick with the heated seats and heated steering wheel, which have pretty low drain. Both front seats and the rear side seats are all heated, only the center passenger seat isn't...and if somebody is in THAT seat, then they have a warm body on either side of them :p

We typically get around 80-84 miles on a charge, but that is because we rarely use the freeway. My wife's job only requires her to drive around town, and the car gets MUCH better range at < 35mph than it does at freeway speeds. It's range is closer to 60 miles if you are using it on the highway a lot, but as it is we only need to plug it in every other night because our driving load is so low.

The current technology of EV are definitely a niche market. It is a reliable, low-maintenance car that is cheap to fuel, and so the low range is not an issue for our needs. I, on the other hand, require a gas car to commute to work in a neighboring city. The Elio will be the replacement for my daily driver.

Once our Leaf starts to lose enough battery capacity that it starts to impact our life (80% capacity, around the 200,000 miles mark) then we can take advantage of Nissan's battery replacement program. For $5000, they will replace the old battery with the latest battery technology going into the new model year. The 2017 model is supposed to go up to a 180 mile range, so who knows what technology will be available by the time we need to invest in a new battery :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wipers are no drain at all, since the load is so small. AC reduces the range by about 3-7 miles, headlights by about the same. The headlights are LED, so they use a lot less juice than your standard car bulbs (but don't break them! $450 each! But they won't burn out for the life of the car). Cabin heat is the worst on the range, so we typically just stick with the heated seats and heated steering wheel, which have pretty low drain. Both front seats and the rear side seats are all heated, only the center passenger seat isn't...and if somebody is in THAT seat, then they have a warm body on either side of them :p

We typically get around 80-84 miles on a charge, but that is because we rarely use the freeway. My wife's job only requires her to drive around town, and the car gets MUCH better range at < 35mph than it does at freeway speeds. It's range is closer to 60 miles if you are using it on the highway a lot, but as it is we only need to plug it in every other night because our driving load is so low.

The current technology of EV are definitely a niche market. It is a reliable, low-maintenance car that is cheap to fuel, and so the low range is not an issue for our needs. I, on the other hand, require a gas car to commute to work in a neighboring city. The Elio will be the replacement for my daily driver.

Once our Leaf starts to lose enough battery capacity that it starts to impact our life (80% capacity, around the 200,000 miles mark) then we can take advantage of Nissan's battery replacement program. For $5000, they will replace the old battery with the latest battery technology going into the new model year. The 2017 model is supposed to go up to a 180 mile range, so who knows what technology will be available by the time we need to invest in a new battery :)
Sounds like the Leaf is a very practical commuter for your individual family needs. In retirement 80% of my driving is around town so I am looking forward to a fun, affordable, three wheeler EV to hit the market. Should the Arcimoto, the Solo, or the Lit Motors C-1 hit the market before the Elio I will probably go electric. I may buy the very affordable Elio too, for longer commutes. My AND vehicle collection.

Top Bottom