• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

An Elio Kit?

Ryan

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to start a community project to develop a CAD model of the P4 so folks would be able to build their own. I got a good start on the chassis but that's as far as it went. If anyone wants to try to get the ball rolling on it again, let me know and I will be happy to share all my project files.
https://www.elioowners.com/threads/community-challenge-put-the-p4-in-cad.5806/
bes8qfy-jpg.16696

Vance Smith

Reaction score
Just mentioned in another thread. If Elio's plans for the mass market production model fall down, would you consider a limited production Elio custom car or kit car like a Acme or Factory Five? I know it would be more expensive, but I really like the simplicity of the Elio. I can work on it. Maintain it. It wont get hacked as mentioned on another thread. If you drive allot, you wont stress for charge stations. I could walk down to the local auto parts place for a new "whatever". With a little TLC, an Elio kit car may cover the ever shrinking gap between the EV revolution and the ICE denouement. I mean really, we only have about a decade to go before this is all a non issue, but that's still allot of miles for me.
I like the kit idea as well, doubt we will ever see the factory production

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's a guy over in Harrisburg that could do the body easily as long as there a 3D CAD file for it. He does bodies for racing and thus they take a car, scan it and then make the molds. These guys scanned in a 60's Ford Falcon and made a Trans Am body from that:
attachment.php

These guys scanned in a 1965 Mustang:
nasaspeed.news_2018-12-19_06-51-30.jpg

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be a general misperception that kit cars are to cheap to build...

I have lots of experience in that area...I’ve built 3 kit cars...and been involved in numerous hot rod projects...

Building a fully road ready kit car is expensive...an Elio style kit car would cost easily more than $20,000 to build properly...

So, we have a $9,000 to $12,000 basic kit, and now you figure out what the final car will cost, less sweat equity.

The assumptions are that you have some tools and a place to build it...

At the end of the day, the final "all in" cost breakout will look something like...

Basic kit cost $9,000 to $12,000
Special tools $500
Electrical system $900
Engine / gearbox - $1500
AC/heat system $1,000
Cooling system - $350
Suspension / steering - $750
Braking system - $500
Exhaust system - $300
Fuel system - $500
Wheels and Tire - $1000
Exterior finish and bodywork - $750 to $2,000
Interior - $1,700
Miscellaneous costs - at least $1,000...

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be a general misperception that kit cars are to cheap to build...

I have lots of experience in that area...I’ve built 3 kit cars...and been involved in numerous hot rod projects...

Building a fully road ready kit car is expensive...an Elio style kit car would cost easily more than $20,000 to build properly...

So, we have a $9,000 to $12,000 basic kit, and now you figure out what the final car will cost, less sweat equity.

The assumptions are that you have some tools and a place to build it...

At the end of the day, the final "all in" cost breakout will look something like...

Basic kit cost $9,000 to $12,000
Special tools $500
Electrical system $900
Engine / gearbox - $1500
AC/heat system $1,000
Cooling system - $350
Suspension / steering - $750
Braking system - $500
Exhaust system - $300
Fuel system - $500
Wheels and Tire - $1000
Exterior finish and bodywork - $750 to $2,000
Interior - $1,700
Miscellaneous costs - at least $1,000...

You are looking at this completely wrong. People are not looking at building an Elio and thinking they will spend $7450 for the whole project. What they are looking for is a kit they can build because they know they are going to spend $20K. It's not to be an everyday driver to get 84 mpg so they can get out of the poverty loop, it's a hobby that would be fun to build. If we went by the way you put it, then Factory Five would be out of business because no idiot would build an 818 when they can buy a used 986 or e85 and get a much better product. Needless to say, people are building them because they want to. Same thing for a Cobra. You'd have to be the dumbest person on earth to build one because there are so many other cars out there that you can buy cheaper and are way better.

In the end, if building an Elio kit car is a bad idea, so is a Cobra or that Maurader.

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I dont recall every suggesting the kit be $7K. I would expect it to be 3 to 4 times that. I wouldn't expect this to be shipped to every reservation holder. I do think there are a handful that would build it though. Also, If you're an Elio fan, you would recall that much of the Elio was to be built using stock "off the shelf" items. This was one way that Paul intended to keep prices down basically by not reinventing the wheel. Looking at the various E series builds, I think this would be a fine kit car. Given the new motor, that seems even more possible. Looking that the E series close up, it really does seem like a kit option. It could even be a limited production option.

Top Bottom