• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

And Now... The P5!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.eliomotors.com/and-now-the-p5/

And Now… the P5!
June 12, 2015
Happy Friday Elio’ers! Today is the day that we reveal our fifth generation prototype, the P5, are you ready? Who are we kidding? You probably have already skipped this paragraph and sprinted to the pictures. We get that, we are excited too. Today is important in another, more significant, way as it announces the next phase in our journey to creating the next big thing in transportation.
The development and introduction of the P5 is a significant step in the development of your Elio. The P5 is the leading vehicle in a string of 25 to be built during this phase of the journey. Here is how that will work:
  • P5 leads the way on the design side, lead with the aerodynamic and styling changes.
  • The Elio engine and transmission will be in the P5.
  • P6 – P30 will be built from the learnings from P5.
    • Each of these vehicles will be unique and serve different purposes for the development and testing of the vehicle (stay tuned for more detail in a future Momentum or this blog)
There is a lot more to talk about, but without further delay the P5. Drum roll please…
[Broken External Image]
Sweet right?! Before we get in to the details let’s look at some of the overall highlights:
  • This a CAD rendering. The color is not accurate to the True Blue, but the color helps enhance the details of the vehicle
  • You, as an Elio fan and supporter, will have a big say in the final color of the P5… stay tuned
  • The new Elio engine and transmission will be in the P5
  • p5 will be a manual transmission
The majority of the changes that are visible to the eye are driven by aerodynamics. We continue to drive toward our four musts, and aerodynamics has a huge impact on our 84 MPG highway target.
[Broken External Image]
The first thing that jumps out at you is the restyling of the Elio nose. You can see the aggressive styling change that extended the nose slightly and also rounded it forward to decrease the wind drag. Care was taken to ensure that the nose keeps the vehicle height for entering and exiting driveways.
[Broken External Image]
The next refinement may notice is the hood line. We raised the hood line to create a space for the windshield wiper to stay out of the flow of air over the vehicle. It is an aerodynamics play predominantly and creates a smooth transition from front to back that is pleasing to the eye as well.
How about the front wheel fairing? Did you notice the change to a straight rear edge? See how it ties into the same angle as the rear of the vehicle? A great styling touch that decreases drag, definitely a win/win. Oh, and in case you are wondering, the oval opening at the bottom of the vehicle just in front of the rear wheel is where the exhaust will exit the vehicle.
[Broken External Image]
The interior will also be closer to the production intent, you will have to stay tuned to see the interior come together. We will definitely share the progress through pictures, just like we rolled out P4.
We are very excited to share the P5 with you today. The changes on the vehicle are not a redesign, but meant to increase aerodynamics and further refine the fun and contemporary styling. The fact that this begins the next phase of the journey is the real take away today and we are thrilled to have you here with us.
The Elio Preview Tour:
June 20 – June 28 – The Great Race
Before we sign off this week, we want to send out thoughts to the people of Shreveport who are dealing with the #redriverrising floods. The folks are dealing with significant flooding of their neighborhoods and parks. If you can help with the relief effort, please donate to the Shreveport Salvation Army here.
Thank you for your continued support.
http://www.eliomotors.com/and-now-the-p5/
Happy Friday Elio’ers! Today is the day that we reveal our fifth generation prototype, the […]

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like everything they did including the exhaust outlet. I like the longer nose as well. In the pictures there appears to be a circle that maybe the gas door. I would hope they would consider having the gas door on the other side near the car door for easy fueling. Also away from the exhaust outlet, if gas dripped down it could be an issue or maybe hot exhaust tip near your legs may be an issue. Just a thought. Otherwise I like the blue too!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like everything they did including the exhaust outlet. I like the longer nose as well. In the pictures there appears to be a circle that maybe the gas door. I would hope they would consider having the gas door on the other side near the car door for easy fueling. Also away from the exhaust outlet, if gas dripped down it could be an issue or maybe hot exhaust tip near your legs may be an issue. Just a thought. Otherwise I like the blue too!
I would be more worried about the heat and the paint, but we'll just have to see

Shame they didn't show the driver's side in the renders, it looks like the driver window goes quite far back now, I'm wondering if the door does as well. That would make it easier to cram folks into the back seat.

Another note: the flats on the back of the new front fairings look like much better positions for added indicators.

Top Bottom