• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Updates On Production

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, if the automobile protocol of crash testing is followed, I do recall on proceedure of random selection of units at various dealers (finished units ready for sale), that might have been to appease certain insurance Co's. There seems to be more than one agency used for crashing tests as I recall. It might have been answered, but are the tests the "standards" used in automobile measurements, or is EM doing their own evaluation of what 5 star rating is for an autocycle?

Last part first ..... I recall hearing that Elio is working with NHTSA and IIHS to see if some of the tests need to be changes. Like the small offset frontal and the side impact because the Elio's design may give it some type of advantage.
First part last ..... There are only two models since most of the "window dressing" is added at the staging centers, and that presents an entirely different paradigm than the testers are used to dealing with.
Wonder how that will be viewed?

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Haven't rattled any cages lately with my posts, keep getting the usual schlock from Elio motors about everything under the sun except production. Dates keep getting pushed back and blah, blah, blah. Is there any real time frame for production, wondering if it might be in this decade. Does anyone want to buy my $1000 all in?
WOW, there was a great email I received from Elio Friday! They are going from P to E designations for the Elio at this time! They are in the phase of building for Engineering testing now! That is a normal and needed step prior to production! That is great!:D Please my Elio friend go to Elio Motors site to read all about it. This is great news we are still on the positive path with Paul Elio and Team Elio!!
Great Job Again to Paul Elio, The Elio Team!! Hoorah!:D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM has consistently said the crash test would be at automotive standards .... we do need to keep in mind that insurance companies and governmental bodies have no rules for crash testing a motorcycle .... I hope going to the trouble of holding the crash test will help lower the insurance rates adopted by the industry but I suspect that the replacement cost will figure in heavily
The value of holding the crash testing is primarily to validate the concepts overall five star safety goal. The claim to reach the 5 star safety rating was to help answer early on safety questions future Elio owners had/have regarding a safe Elio commute prior to making their reservation. Psychologically, we think the Elio will be a relatively safe ride and the required testing beyond computer simulations will prove it to us, the DOE, and the insurance companies.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW, there was a great email I received from Elio Friday! They are going from P to E designations for the Elio at this time! They are in the phase of building for Engineering testing now! That is a normal and needed step prior to production! That is great!:D Please my Elio friend go to Elio Motors site to read all about it. This is great news we are still on the positive path with Paul Elio and Team Elio!!
Great Job Again to Paul Elio, The Elio Team!! Hoorah!:D
The truly great Elio Friday email will be the announcement that the P5 is complete, will be unveiled for all to see, and meets all the design and engineering specifications and criteria warranted to start the E builds.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The truly great Elio Friday email will be the announcement that the P5 is complete, will be unveiled for all to see, and meets all the design and engineering specifications and criteria warranted to start the E builds.

Well, I have hope too for Friday. But EM is notorious for very slow releases of milestones. So maybe expecting the September time frame is less risky emotionally.

About the testing, since there is no Federal definition and also no fed program or requirement to test it, it will be the insurance consortium(s) that will do any national independent testing, if I'm not mistaken.

EM will be doing their own, because they made a public commitment and need it to prove the product to all those nervous spouses out there (like mine) Even though I have an actual degree in it!. Go figure. , also to qualify for the ATVM I'd guess.

It takes a lot to overcome any established public perception, especially sight unseen.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think RACER would certainly want Elio Motors to succeed, however that's not their business. I think the per head penalty was created by Racer to be a serious stick, to motivate Elio with. Elio can't just say "we've started hiring" and point to one or two people and be off the hook, they have to account for each head.
I thought RACER sold the property to IRG, LLC which, in effect, ends RACER's dealings with Elio.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM has consistently said the crash test would be at automotive standards .... we do need to keep in mind that insurance companies and governmental bodies have no rules for crash testing a motorcycle .... I hope going to the trouble of holding the crash test will help lower the insurance rates adopted by the industry but I suspect that the replacement cost will figure in heavily
well at 6.8k+ it won't even come close to replacement costs of many of my (in the past) motorcycles.
On insurance rates, just relocating from S Florida to the City of Seattle, my car ins. went down $200.00 (riding in the land of the legally blind is obviously more risky than the streets of Seattle) I just gotta remember to stop when pedestrians step off the curb, they seem so very fussy about this.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought RACER sold the property to IRG, LLC which, in effect, ends RACER's dealings with Elio.

Yes. My understanding was IRG, LLC are the ones on the hook for 5000 jobs. EM was the way they expected to get there. If they're leasing other parts of the plant out to other manufacturers, maybe that will meet the 5000 job goal? I've never seen that addressed, and never been clear exactly who the jobs agreement was with. IRG and EM have been randomly interchanged in that equation.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well at 6.8k+ it won't even come close to replacement costs of many of my (in the past) motorcycles.
On insurance rates, just relocating from S Florida to the City of Seattle, my car ins. went down $200.00 (riding in the land of the legally blind is obviously more risky than the streets of Seattle) I just gotta remember to stop when pedestrians step off the curb, they seem so very fussy about this.

It's the caffeine.....
caffeine_by_blackdahlia.gif

Top Bottom