• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera SOL

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to show how the drive has changed. The faceless image couple posts above had CV's and one or two inboard motors.
This image shows AWD as three hub motors, and three controllers. (follow the yellow power lines, if this is indeed the final design)
1656620204975.png

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to show how the drive has changed. The faceless image couple posts above had CV's and one or two inboard motors.
This image shows AWD as three hub motors, and three controllers. (follow the yellow power lines, if this is indeed the final design)
View attachment 25852
Looks like they are still in the R&D stage as opposed to a final signed off design ready for production. Good thing is, you can fool the general public into thinking it's ready to go (make the outside look slick and an interior but not cover the nitty gritty of the undercarriage). If you get your Aptera by 2025, I'll be shocked.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way those wheel covers would ever survive the roads up here, from loose crushed 1 1/2" stone roads to 6" deep potholes, they would have to be bobbed a fair amount (which wouldnt look so bad). Plus the usual dead deer and bear in the roads as obstacles, pieces of exploded tires, etc. Now tires like the batmobile may work, but at the expense of all the "solar mileage".

Attachments

• bmb.jpg
    bmb.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 107

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way those wheel covers would ever survive the roads up here, from loose crushed 1 1/2" stone roads to 6" deep potholes, they would have to be bobbed a fair amount (which wouldnt look so bad). Plus the usual dead deer and bear in the roads as obstacles, pieces of exploded tires, etc. Now tires like the batmobile may work, but at the expense of all the "solar mileage".
LOL, fur real! Yep, the Aptera is a down-town-city-boy car, born and bred! There are even a number of 'cross-over's that can't take too many 6" pot-holes.
1656700331161.png

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Styling is definitely a personal preference, but I don’t see the appeal or many Aptera’s setting in driveways or parked in the limited market demographic’s garages. It’s airplane like, aero focused styling is not particularly functional regardless of climate.

1657037291903.jpeg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Styling is definitely a personal preference, but I don’t see the appeal or many Aptera’s setting in driveways or parked in the limited market demographic’s garages. It’s airplane like, aero focused styling is not particularly functional regardless of climate.

View attachment 25860
Well yes, styling vs function. Aerodynamic forms have an organic style element to them. This is because aminals have aerodynamic features.
For a million years humans have hunted and ate animals. So we are programmed to have feelings about thier looks. Thier typical sytling.
So there is some crossover appeal to us on the aerodynamic part of that look.

But there is a problem with pure aerodynamic forms, they are featureless with out much individual personality. We like many more image elements than just aerodynamics. Those same animals have features that we see as personality, that have nothing to do with what a car needs to have. And there are many other elements in the rest of the world we seem to like to find associated with a car style.

So the challenge is to tweak your aerodynamic form and structural solution to provide that personality which people will be attracted to. A sort of trade off has to happen. How much form art is dedicated to function vs attractive looks. Aptera is about pushing that balance toward function, even in the face of a failure of style.

So yes, they don't expect it to be all that appealing in styling. It wasn't the point. Personally, I find it to be an absolutely gorgeous example of function over styling, while still allowing a tiny little bit. (but if it was too ugly, even I would not spend money on it)

We all seem to take for granted, or maybe ignore one human aspect. We get used to things. Especially style. What we hated in years past, we might be more open to in the future, especially if you are very bored with the old one. (it's healthier to not eat the exact same food all the time)

Artwork showing naked women of the 1600's is nothing like naked artwork of the 1960's, other than being naked humans. Lets consider the Twiggy era vs the Kardashian. Flipped into the opposite era, both are a popularity fail. (but there are some attributes in common)

So let's guess, which classic cars, and thier styling, has remained the most popular over the most time? The ones that have orgainc style attributes.
And one of those, by the way, is a sense of balance to the form. An animal who's balance is off, might be sick. We don't like to eat those.

So as counter point example, I will highlight steam-punk. Some of the ugliest objects in the world. But it's steam-punk! It's cool. And so, not so ugly. In fact beautiful in how Steam-Punky it can be. Even I will pay money for some of that.

Some people can run the car for zero fuel costs. How unappealing to them is the Aptera style now? (that will change)

I did not like the look of the car I have now. But after a few years of perfect operation, and putting some current style mags on it, I like it a lot.

MyCar.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I’m a form follows function mentality, but feel one can have both. The most aero dynamic (0.20 drag coefficient) production vehicle (Mercedes-Benz EQS) styling does’t appear extremely organic, but rather to my eye - flashy and techy, followed by Tesla and Lucid. I believe that aero flashy/techy styling is possible on a more affordable three wheeler EV platform.

1657204447810.jpeg

The function of any vehicle is to transport people and/or cargo from point A to B. When it come to vehicles I purchase - affordability, styling, fit/finish, ease of ingress/egress, driver comfort, performance & handling, and cost to operate are all Important considerations. I appreciate the Aptera’s organic styling from a distance. I hope Aptera has a successful fully certified production model launch. The more EV choices on the market the benter.

When the fully enclosed cabin option is finally available, I plan to choose the more affordable ‘somewhat aero‘ FUV (100 mile range) as my every day around town commuter as a supplement to my long range family car. A FUNctional three wheeler - motorcycle styling that has the driver comfort of my SUV.

1657205330202.jpeg

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am of course talking very generally about organic design. In the parlor talk I was introduced to, the most organic are progressive, multi-axis 'french curves'.
A good example would be a wax egg that is partially melted or droopy in it's over-all form.
And the most non-organic or deliberate, is the flat-square panel. I would call that stark or abstract design.
In nature, we find that as the mirror surface of a lake, when no wind is present.

So there are organic elements to the two vehicles you exhibit, but those are compiled into an overall boxy arrangement, which feels to me a bit like
looking at a block of minerals with the edges sanded and then polished.

Frankly, people like interesting blocks of minerals. I do too.

Very fun, off topic fact; keeping the surface in mind.. if you took that droopy egg and
1) cut it in half. Then
2) lay it down on the flat,
3) melt it just a bit more
4) flip it on to the rounded side
5) on a flat smooth glass surface
6) spun it the right direction, it would then
7) perform the wobblestone rattleback dance. Wiki

Spun to the opposite direction, it just spins.

It was/is used as a divination tool by some cultures. (celtic, navajo)
It also has made mathematician heads explode trying to explain it, until they did.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it appears Aptera is still on the scene and it will be interesting to see if they bring it to market ===> https://aptera.us/launch-edition-is-here/ <=== they now claim a 400 mile range and top speed of 101 mph .... it is reported to have 3-wheel drive and goes 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds .... up to 40 mile daily solar charge capacity .... they now require $100 reservation fee for a vehicle they say has a $33,200 sticker price with that price subject to change

while I find its looks to be interesting, I have no interest in owning one

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
while I find its looks to be interesting, I have no interest in owning one
Well, while I was working, it would have fully paid for it self in the gas(petrol) I wouldn't be buying. As of last XMas, I'm now fully retired.
Before that, I was doing two and one half tanks each week. At $3.49USD each gallon, 9gal each refill, thats about $345 a month.
Then oil changes/maint vs the insurance somewhat balance out.

But now, I only use 1 gal/month, so I guess now, I won't accept my reservation with Aptera. Unless I find my budget is bigger than I think.

Top Bottom