• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I watch this "youtuber" from time to time (really like his series rebuilding the engine on his Trabant), but this particular video is about Aptera. It was quite informative and fun to watch. Thought some posters might enjoy... (Aptera information starts at 1:13 into the video)
Aptera - Aging Wheels video
I’ve never been particularly interested in Aptera, until after watching this Aptera 2024 video update. I wish I was 20 years younger so I could get in and out of it. Also, limited old geezer driver sitting comfort with legs outstretched because it sits so low to the floor……much like a Vette. Impressed by the solar roof engineering/production, the factory layout, and the number of reservations.

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb Yes... I really like the range estimates. I think this will go far towards dismissing "range anxiety" of most drivers (including me).

Unfortunately, the price is WAY out of my budget. I could never afford this.

My current (new) econo-box car was only $11,400 (on the road) back in 2016. And that is about all I can really afford for the next vehicle, so I'm really hoping Mark's BEX Mongrel comes in around that price-point.

And no, I refuse to purchase another used car. I've made that mistake a couple of times and learned my lesson the HARD WAY!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb Yes... I really like the range estimates. I think this will go far towards dismissing "range anxiety" of most drivers (including me).

Unfortunately, the price is WAY out of my budget. I could never afford this.

My current (new) econo-box car was only $11,400 (on the road) back in 2016. And that is about all I can really afford for the next vehicle, so I'm really hoping Mark's BEX Mongrel comes in around that price-point.

And no, I refuse to purchase another used car. I've made that mistake a couple of times and learned my lesson the HARD WAY!!
What I found interesting was the statement, solar panels charge 40 miles per day in sunbelt areas and 20 miles in others. That equates to a potential 14,600 or 7,300 miles of free driving per year and no burden on the grid. I assume that statement was based on actual road testing the panels. Perhaps production scaling will drive the cost down. Also, the possibility of renewing the Federal/State tax credit on electric motorcycles. I had range anxiety issues when purchasing my EV, but the 326 mile range, the trip planner, and fast charging on long road trips, turned out to be a non-issue.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I watched a few videos of the CEO and he was doing a presentation to some EV group. His claims are a bit over the top. He makes everything sound so easy. I have my doubts on the solar charging being as good as they say. Then when you have a part that needs to be replaced, scan a QR code and all of the info is right there. Plus they will send you the parts right away. Nothing about diagnostics or who will actually fix it. I'm guessing local garages will not work on them. So, they never have figured that out yet. Yet the faithful think it's super easy or they will never break.

The CEO did say back in 2019, the Aptera was to be in production in 2020, the sedan by 2021, the crossover in 2022 and the semi in 2023. They missed that by a pretty good amount. Looks like the earliest they will get it released will be in 2025.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I watched a few videos of the CEO and he was doing a presentation to some EV group. His claims are a bit over the top. He makes everything sound so easy. I have my doubts on the solar charging being as good as they say. Then when you have a part that needs to be replaced, scan a QR code and all of the info is right there. Plus they will send you the parts right away. Nothing about diagnostics or who will actually fix it. I'm guessing local garages will not work on them. So, they never have figured that out yet. Yet the faithful think it's super easy or they will never break.

The CEO did say back in 2019, the Aptera was to be in production in 2020, the sedan by 2021, the crossover in 2022 and the semi in 2023. They missed that by a pretty good amount. Looks like the earliest they will get it released will be in 2025.
I have doubts too, but Aptera has been in development for years and appears progress is being made. I look forward to seeing the unveiling of the production model. I’ll believe the potential of a successful Aptera, when I see local sales, servicing, and parts partners roll out across the country to include my hometown…….. or perhaps a similar level of success as Vanderhall’s.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading about EV lines have already slowing down, and the CEO's have been talking to the politicians to push their EV deadlines back by a (hefty amount) per year. It's the old saying fill one hand with promises and the other hand with reality's and see which one fills first. If the CEO are talking you know what they are saying, it's not going to happen on your timeline. Let's tell them this instead.

Top Bottom