• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope it works out. If they could knock off a hundred pounds, it sure would help performance
Yes, performance and range. It sounds like it works and the parts will swap out on the initial production vehicles, but unsure how it impacts cost. I admit to not liking the futuristic appearance factor..........look like wads of stretched bubblegum. I don’t know What it is, but this is an example of one of the 3D printed parts:
BC06483F-51C4-4E78-86A7-B488001E913C.png

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey RSchneider, If you are traveling in the Daytona area Joe is apparently offering test drive opportunities:
B0A5A77B-13FD-40F0-BED3-98B35E7AA177.jpeg

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, performance and range. It sounds like it works and the parts will swap out on the initial production vehicles, but unsure how it impacts cost. I admit to not liking the futuristic appearance factor..........look like wads of stretched bubblegum. I don’t know What it is, but this is an example of one of the 3D printed parts:
View attachment 24012
That FUV upright on the right is an overly expensive part to make. It shows that FUV decided to go that route because they didn't want to invest an aluminum casting. Instead, multiple plates of steel that are laser cut, then placed into a jig and welded. After that, it's probably painted (as opposed to powder coated). An aluminum upright (like on a car or truck) is a single cast unit that is then machined in a few places (i.e. ball joint, wheel bearing and tie rod attachment). It's lighter and needs no painting.

As for the 3D printed one, what you see there is what parts will be designed for the future. So get used to it. This is advanced FEA and what you see works too. It's probably right now a tossup on the cost of both. Since FUV is a low volume product they can use something like that as opposed to high volume. Plus the 3D part is nice because if the file exists, parts can be made on demand and even if FUV goes out of business. Replacements can be printed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That FUV upright on the right is an overly expensive part to make. It shows that FUV decided to go that route because they didn't want to invest an aluminum casting. Instead, multiple plates of steel that are laser cut, then placed into a jig and welded. After that, it's probably painted (as opposed to powder coated). An aluminum upright (like on a car or truck) is a single cast unit that is then machined in a few places (i.e. ball joint, wheel bearing and tie rod attachment). It's lighter and needs no painting.

As for the 3D printed one, what you see there is what parts will be designed for the future. So get used to it. This is advanced FEA and what you see works too. It's probably right now a tossup on the cost of both. Since FUV is a low volume product they can use something like that as opposed to high volume. Plus the 3D part is nice because if the file exists, parts can be made on demand and even if FUV goes out of business. Replacements can be printed.
“So get used to it?” I’ve heard that phrase somewhere before. I’m impressed by the parts Arcimoto currently fabricates in house from raw materials. I simply thought it was interesting that XponentialWorks was interested enough in the FUV to reach out to Arcimoto with the idea of 3D printed part replacement options to reduce weight (not quality) and Arcimoto had interest to provide them a build test vehicle. It tells me there is a lot going on during the retail production roll out and production scale. All this progress while you offer valued critique.

You should visit the AMP, meet with the Team, offer your critique and you might end up with an Arcimoto consulting contract.
D99002DB-6B83-42A0-ABB9-75FE5E04D575.jpeg

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
“So get used to it?” I’ve heard that phrase somewhere before. I’m impressed by the parts Arcimoto currently fabricates in house from raw materials. I simply thought it was interesting that XponentialWorks was interested enough in the FUV to reach out to Arcimoto with the idea of 3D printed part replacement options to reduce weight (not quality) and Arcimoto had interest to provide them a build test vehicle. It tells me there is a lot going on during the retail production roll out and production scale. All this progress while you offer valued critique.

You should visit the AMP. Meet with the Team, offer your critique and you might end up with an Arcimoto consulting contract.
View attachment 24014
You actually will have to get used to it. Additive manufacturing (what we call it) is getting bigger all of the time. You will need to adjust your thinking that making fabricated parts is going by the wayside. In all honesty, I can't think of a car in the last 25 years that used fabricated uprights. Plus with the advanced FEA, there will be more "bubble gum" looking parts. This is because 3D printing allows this and it circumvents the traditional issues when it comes to casting and especially fabricating. With fabricating you are limited to what you can weld. With casting you are limited to the casting techniques and filling of voids.

It's good that Arcimoto teamed up with this company. This is what happens today. These companies are looking for business and need to show off the technology as many old farts in engineering are not on board with this yet. I'd like to see Arcimoto go all in with this as it would really be a great selling point. If you want to be innovative, 3D printing is where it's at right now.

Here's a company I've been to and they are taking 3D printing to the next level. It's a mix of stereo lithography and 3D printing. They make a bunch of dental implants and medical implants. If you want, Adidas will scan your foot and make you a custom 3D printed shoe for you.
https://www.carbon3d.com/
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...rsion-of-3d-printed-shoe-alphaedge-4d-155578/

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You actually will have to get used to it. Additive manufacturing (what we call it) is getting bigger all of the time. You will need to adjust your thinking that making fabricated parts is going by the wayside. In all honesty, I can't think of a car in the last 25 years that used fabricated uprights. Plus with the advanced FEA, there will be more "bubble gum" looking parts. This is because 3D printing allows this and it circumvents the traditional issues when it comes to casting and especially fabricating. With fabricating you are limited to what you can weld. With casting you are limited to the casting techniques and filling of voids.

It's good that Arcimoto teamed up with this company. This is what happens today. These companies are looking for business and need to show off the technology as many old farts in engineering are not on board with this yet. I'd like to see Arcimoto go all in with this as it would really be a great selling point. If you want to be innovative, 3D printing is where it's at right now.

Here's a company I've been to and they are taking 3D printing to the next level. It's a mix of stereo lithography and 3D printing. They make a bunch of dental implants and medical implants. If you want, Adidas will scan your foot and make you a custom 3D printed shoe for you.
https://www.carbon3d.com/
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...rsion-of-3d-printed-shoe-alphaedge-4d-155578/
Since I have no real issue with it, I don’t have to get used to it. :) Wait a minute...didn’t they ‘fabricate’ the dental implants and custom fit shoe using 3D printing technology?

I admire Arcimoto for continually looking to the future that includes additive manufacturing, all while delivering a retail product today that incorporates the use of milling components with their BFL from a solid block of metal.
60A20574-8B41-4DCD-9085-DF67DAAD0DE7.jpeg

9EDF8A59-E737-42AD-9B68-8DC035202343.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom