• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was happy about the TMW acquisition. Years prior to production, I had contacted Bob Mighell, TMW, CEO about engineering a Trio kit for the FUV. My personal interest was always in a fully enclosed tilting 3 wheeler. I thought it was a natural partnership.

I assume they made/make business decisions based on their Mission Statement. One may agree or disagree with the Mission. My only question regarding the day to day expenses with payroll being a big chunk of the operating budget, relates to the recent furlough, why so many employees on board until production scale plans had been fully implemented. Regardless, they are not dead yet and I happened across this:

1674234741772.jpeg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(again only speaking to full bodied cars)
The business model and progression Mark shows us is very different from the norm. But there are some examples in what we all can call garage startups.
He shares attrubutes with the earliest car makers including Ford and with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

Mark is kind of like a 'James Pendrick' from the Murdoch Msyteries, but with a much better taste in women, LOL (and no Murdoch jumping into wild goose chases with only preliminary evidence).

This is a big reason I have pretty good faith in Mark. He is the type of person with the resources and pragmatic knowledge that could do this. But it will have to take time, and go though various perceived glass ceilings to reach a production volume in a turn-key product. (all as it should be)

Current automotive startups that have succeeded have not generally followed the garage startup path since WWII.

Acrimoto looks a little more like small autmotive start-ups from Canada, which trend towards small city cars. Seen a number of those come and fail since the 1970's. The HMV Freeway, the Gizmo, others in the US, wandered that path as well.

These did not handle thier 'glass ceilings' very well. Mis-steps in business kicked all those guys in the teeth. (excluding Arimoto, AFAIK)

The Solo has broken a 'glass ceiling' that other Canadian startups have not. We will see if that takes and keeps, or not. They are trying to leverage expansion into the American market to do so.

You all have laid out the other detailed attributes of these adventures in posts above.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The A Team members do not have a kids in a candy store mentality, but are a group of dedicated regular people on a mission, with a “firm conviction for ultra light, kickass mobility.” Having met many of them, I believe It. Have all of their business decisions been spot on…….no idea…….based on not knowing or understanding the logic as to why they made them.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was happy about the TMW acquisition. Years prior to production, I had contacted Bob Mighell, TMW, CEO about engineering a Trio kit for the FUV. My personal interest was always in a fully enclosed tilting 3 wheeler. I thought it was a natural partnership.

I assume they made/make business decisions based on their Mission Statement. One may agree or disagree with the Mission. My only question regarding the day to day expenses with payroll being a big chunk of the operating budget, relates to the recent furlough, why so many employees on board until production scale plans had been fully implemented. Regardless, they are not dead yet and I happened across this:

View attachment 26330
You do realize, Bob was eliminated from Arcimoto back a few months ago. So, seems that TLM (which operates at a loss) was not a good business decision. The amount of equipment they could have bought to get the production cost down, is amazing. Instead, they spent it on a company that makes a handful of product (at a loss). Again, another mistake by Mark. It’s a liability.

At least Mark is not steering the ship as he has some oddball C division role. It still doesn’t change the years of bad decisions he made. It would be nice to know what is wrong with him. He could set up a foundation for the illness he has. That way it could help others. Especially with the following he had.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just don't understand where all the money went ...

View attachment 26331
That info is detailed in Arcimoto’s Quarterly updates. Keep in mind Arcimoto is not officially done. I’m hoping for their successful funding round. It’s a fun put a smile on your face ride. I wish them the best of luck.

You have a different vehicle concept, a different target market, with I assume a different mission statement. It will be interesting to watch how it should be done and to follow your plan of action after your proof of concept build is completed. As I recall, the Canadian based ElectraMeccanica had/has a Chinese manufacturing partner assembling Solos with plans to set up production in the USA. If your plan includes setting up a USA manufacturing facility, there may be space for sale in Eugene, OR. Best of luck to you too.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto got the funding needed to stay on track:

After they pay debts, back wages and get underway again, they'll have nothing again, it's a vicious cycle.

Tell them to send me a million, and I'll redesign their inefficient design, and set them up a supply chain reducing their costs 20 fold.

Here's an example: There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO REASON they didn't use lower control arms, spindles, brakes, struts from any common small car.

But no, this is their ridiculous, over engineered for no purpose, expensive, difficult to manufacturer front suspension, that also requires their ridiculous, over engineered for no purpose, expensive, difficult to manufacturer, multi-hard point front chassis subframe

1674295227418.png
< this versus this >
1674299030682.png

If I took over that company, the first thing I would do is fire the people, no wait, the MORONS who are responsible for that front suspension. This is surplus money, "kids in candy store", wasteful, money pit, useless engineering at it's worst. I can't say enough negative things about this utterly ridiculous design relative to it's application, and then I could move on to all the other idiotic bespoke design points on it .... and they are bleeding money, gee, I wonder why ...

I hope they survive for a bit longer, the market needs a few there to establish the market, Arcimoto going under actually isn't in my best interest, but it's no one's fault other than their own guiding hands for the swill they are currently in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom