• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Michigan has voted to add handlebars to their "Autocycle" definition!
This means FUV drivers in MI are no longer required to get a motorcycle endorsement or wear a helmet.

49411191_10161374203945074_7613346899625508864_o.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto mentioned contracting with Joel Sheltrown, EM’s former VP of Legislative Affairs. I hope the Michigan amendment was a result of Joel’s handy work and he is on a State by State mission, to those that need the autocycle definition amendment.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Raptor213, Thanks! I was unsuccessful in my effort to find it. Very intersting POSITIONS on the amendment. Impressed to see Arcimoto there in support. Perhaps they will move from State to State. Seems odd there would be any opposition.

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about that law. The removal of the helmet requirement makes sense as helmets and seat belts don't function well together without a HANS device. The issue I have with it is that automotive controls and handling are quite different from motorcycles. If a vehicle operates like a motorcycle, it should require a motorcycle operator license. For the Arcimoto, specifically, it may not be a problem since it was designed to be highly stable and handle much like a car. But the next 3-wheel vehicle with a handlebar to come along may not be so forgiving and people with no training on motorcycle operation could get themselves or someone else hurt.

Top Bottom