• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, I didn't say they closed down. Their website is still there last time I checked so they're still in business. I just have not seen a Vanderhall anywhere....or the Polaris Slingshot. It's not a common sight to see them in the streets of freeways.
Never seen a Vanderhall, but Slingshots are fairly common around McKinney/North Dallas area.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never seen a Vanderhall, but Slingshots are fairly common around McKinney/North Dallas area.
Both of them are a thing of beauty, very close in their price range at around 30k, gobs of power too for those with disposable income. Followers of ELIO just wanted an affordable ICE 3wheeler for weekend fun ride or weekday errands. BEX can make that dream a reality someday. SOLO got close but with unresolved recall and only one seat it didn't warm up to potential buyers. FUV is still around but expensive at 20k and offers no full enclosure.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both of them are a thing of beauty, very close in their price range at around 30k, gobs of power too for those with disposable income. Followers of ELIO just wanted an affordable ICE 3wheeler for weekend fun ride or weekday errands. BEX can make that dream a reality someday. SOLO got close but with unresolved recall and only one seat it didn't warm up to potential buyers. FUV is still around but expensive at 20k and offers no full enclosure.
I thought the FUV was going to make my enclosed three wheeler dream a reality and even understood the missed $11,900 target MSRP, for low volume production model jump to $19,900.………still an affordable electric motorcycle option……..definitely never targeted the poor as a market demographic. My opinion is a low production volume, custom parts, built BEX will have a similar higher than target price tag on a fully certified Production Model Vehicle. Dealer profit and shipping will add cost. A hand built niche market BEX will be closer to Vanderhall’s lowest base Model msrp. Where will we get it serviced? Same issue with the Nimbus One and it will more likely be in the $15-20K range, if it crosses the production finish line. I sincerely hope so because it’s a personal favorite.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the FUV was going to make my enclosed three wheeler dream a reality and even understood the missed $11,900 target MSRP, for low volume production model jump to $19,900.………still an affordable electric motorcycle option……..definitely never targeted the poor as a market demographic. My opinion is a low production volume, custom parts, built BEX will have a similar higher than target price tag on a fully certified Production Model Vehicle. Dealer profit and shipping will add cost. A hand built niche market BEX will be closer to Vanderhall’s lowest base Model msrp. Where will we get it serviced? Same issue with the Nimbus One and it will more likely be in the $15-20K range, if it crosses the production finish line. I sincerely hope so because it’s a personal favorite.
Not too worried with the BEX because it's a straight up, simple 3cyl engine any competent mechanic can service and/or replace. Mark is sticking with KISS. Nimbus One's tilting tech could be problematic if it breaks down but other than that, it's also a simple EV.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not too worried with the BEX because it's a straight up, simple 3cyl engine any competent mechanic can service and/or replace. Mark is sticking with KISS. Nimbus One's tilting tech could be problematic if it breaks down but other than that, it's also a simple EV.
It’s not the off the shelf engine and drivetrain parts and service I worry about. It’s the manufacturer support, parts, and servicing manuals that private repair shops rely on to service all makes and models of vehicles. It’s the custom parts to include body panels and body work. Service and factory parts have been readily available at local dealerships for every car I’ve ever owned……with one exception…….Tesla. They have had years to establish what seems to be a reliable mobile service tech network. Arcimoto has missed that boat! Customers are starting to complain about service and parts related issues and I’m seeing a number of low mileage FUVs for sale……..who the heck would buy used or new with the state of Arcimotos current business and financial issues…….not me and I was a top fan.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, service is a major issue. It's one thing to make the product, then sell it. Another when it comes to service. We live in the land of social media. People complain constantly of dealerships and repair shops. Thus they will do the same with newer companies that are avoiding the dealership business model. If you have something like a Tesla with a coolant leak and it'll take them two weeks to fix it, that's not what you like. Especially when your neighbor can figure it out in a few hours and repair it.

As for Arcimoto, they have Road America (whatever it's called now). If your FUV breaks down or needs service, you have a choice of 170K Service centers that you can take it to and 24hr roadside service. No need for Tesla or Rivian mobile like techs. That's where Arcimoto excels. They have the service covered nationwide. Nobody has to wait weeks for a repair or warranty work or upgrades.

Hopefully other three wheelers that are coming, will have the service in order because you have to look at the audience. Are you going after the hobbyist who can tinker or the person that can't. The one that can't will want it fixed now and needs to know where to take it. If you take it to small shops, most will refuse to work on it as it's odd and they have zero information on it. I do know that the shop that I go to, they would too. Too much time spending to figure out what to do as they invested tens of thousands of dollars in equipment to speed up diagnostic time. With the rate around here of $110/hr for small shops, I suspect the person is not going to want to spend 3-4 hours of diag time and then 50% more when it comes to labor. Then getting parts. For most jobs, the place orders online with a local supplier and has the parts in 30 minutes. Thus, the flow of work plays out well.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, service is a major issue. It's one thing to make the product, then sell it. Another when it comes to service. We live in the land of social media. People complain constantly of dealerships and repair shops. Thus they will do the same with newer companies that are avoiding the dealership business model. If you have something like a Tesla with a coolant leak and it'll take them two weeks to fix it, that's not what you like. Especially when your neighbor can figure it out in a few hours and repair it.

As for Arcimoto, they have Road America (whatever it's called now). If your FUV breaks down or needs service, you have a choice of 170K Service centers that you can take it to and 24hr roadside service. No need for Tesla or Rivian mobile like techs. That's where Arcimoto excels. They have the service covered nationwide. Nobody has to wait weeks for a repair or warranty work or upgrades.

Hopefully other three wheelers that are coming, will have the service in order because you have to look at the audience. Are you going after the hobbyist who can tinker or the person that can't. The one that can't will want it fixed now and needs to know where to take it. If you take it to small shops, most will refuse to work on it as it's odd and they have zero information on it. I do know that the shop that I go to, they would too. Too much time spending to figure out what to do as they invested tens of thousands of dollars in equipment to speed up diagnostic time. With the rate around here of $110/hr for small shops, I suspect the person is not going to want to spend 3-4 hours of diag time and then 50% more when it comes to labor. Then getting parts. For most jobs, the place orders online with a local supplier and has the parts in 30 minutes. Thus, the flow of work plays out well.
I agree. Surely the existing and future 3wheelers will never be able to compete with car manufacturers in terms of parts availability. These 3wheelers will be mostly hand built and/or molded and depending on how much demand and the quantity they've sold will determine how much parts they will stock. So if you're not mechanically inclined or never got your hands dirty, I'll suggest stay away from 3wheelers or you'll end up like what RSchneider said.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you have something like a Tesla with a coolant leak and it'll take them two weeks to fix it, that's not what you like.

Owned a Tesla since early 2016, 150,000kms, last issue was a failed 12V battery (5 years old, normal failure for a 12V car battery), Tesla sent a tow truck out, took it away, was back 4 hours later, paid for the battery, but the tow was free.

All makes and model cars get stuck waiting for parts occasionally, it is not unique to any brand, and 5 minutes in Google will verify that, pick a brand, any brand ..

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw an Arcimoto for sale on Facebook yesterday for $20,000, apparently the owned says he paid $29,000 for it originally ...

Each to his own, but I find it a bit mind numbing to consider that someone would pay $29,000 for one of these.

1679713274354.png

Top Bottom