• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Within A 60 Mile Drive To A Pep Boys?

Are You Within A 60 Mile Drive To A Pep Boys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Im within 3, visited two, to check 'em and was very disappointed.They looked up my car for an oil change, and told me factory recommendations was synthetic oil, (at both locations) which was not true. Price quote was close to $45, Firestone, down the block, $25.00 Was wondering if they are all company owned, or some/all franchised?

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Im within 3, visited two, to check 'em and was very disappointed.They looked up my car for an oil change, and told me factory recommendations was synthetic oil, (at both locations) which was not true. Price quote was close to $45, Firestone, down the block, $25.00 Was wondering if they are all company owned, or some/all franchised?

What do you drive?

There are occasions when factory information is contradictory. Not that I am a huge fan of PepBoy's service department. But, they did have their stuff together in their parts department. During my seven year tenure as the parts manager in a rather large Collision center, I ran across so many instances of the "factory" having no clue about what they recommended to their own service providers, let alone what even fits a particular vehicle according to the VIN#. A classic example, there could be three different configurations for the parts on the front bumper of a Chevrolet Silverado, and GM doesn't know which is the correct one for any particular truck. Pep Boy's, at least from my experience, was "Johnny on the spot" with parts and pricing.

If PEP quoted $45 for Premium Synthetic and Firestone quoted $25 for generic crushed Dinosaurs, Pep was definitely in line with their pricing.
Are they franchised? Not to my knowledge.

Dusty

J9design

Elio Fan
Reaction score
High J9design. Nice to hear from you again. I suspect we will get more information as we get closer to production. We still have a year to wait so there is plenty of time. I am hoping they will ask us for local recommendations for service sources to be trained by EM. :) Z
Hey Zelio! Good to see that you're still a primary poster on the site. When we have our Elios, we'll have get together and compare notes on this unique experience!
J9design

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good news-PepBoys 2.5 miles away, bad news-out of 27 online reviews only 1 was a 5-stars rating! Most reviews complained of poor service, lack of knowledge, over charging, trying to sell unneeded parts and one filed police report for sabotaging the vehicle. ( All fluids were drained from the vehicle, after customer ticked off the mechanic)
Depending on where in Aurora, showroom will be up to 35 miles away.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good news-PepBoys 2.5 miles away, bad news-out of 27 online reviews only 1 was a 5-stars rating! Most reviews complained of poor service, lack of knowledge, over charging, trying to sell unneeded parts and one filed police report for sabotaging the vehicle. ( All fluids were drained from the vehicle, after customer ticked off the mechanic)
Depending on where in Aurora, showroom will be up to 35 miles away.

Welcome to the wonderful world of auto repair.
Check other nationally known chains, Goodyear, Firestone, SEARS! Pep Boys are in good company!
Again, not necessarily defending Manny, Moe or Jack but most people think they know what's wrong with their car and how cheaply it should be fixed, regardless of the amount of torture and neglect it's been subjected to.
Besides your description also fit's about every new car dealership that car came from! :(
Regrettably, :oops: I bought a used car from a dealership where they had added sawdust to the transmission, it shifted fine when I bought it but very quickly went south on me. Luckily I had a friend in the transmission business who went with me to point out, to the dealer, the error in their ways.
Got a shiny new tranny, although they swore they had no idea!! ;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
are we within 60 miles of a Pep Boys .... unfortunately the answer is yes .... in fact we are within 20 miles of over a half dozen of them .... if I want to buy a Suicide Knob they are great .... if I want dependable/professional/courteous service, being kind, not so great .... one of the many good things about Oregon is they are said not to have any in the state

Jim

Top Bottom