• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arrow Ev

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
several post have mentioned a desire for an electric powered vehicle ....

"While some of us have serious doubts regarding the willingness of Americans to embrace tiny, three-wheeled motor vehicles, the Arrow EV may be stylish enough to change some hearts and minds. Inspired by a jet fighter and powered by pure electricity, the Arrow is a sexy trike or quad with room for two underneath its retractable canopy.

Though just a concept for now, the design was penned by professional car designer Charles Bombardier in a partnership with British Canadian newspaper the Globe & Mail. Bombardier envisions a day in the not-too-distant future where smaller, more personal vehicles like the Arrow nimbly dart throw the city streets and country settings. Two passengers can sit inside the cockpit tandem-style

While Bombardier lays out specs for the concept, like a 30 kilowatt motor and a potential maximum range of 370 miles, it’s all just vaporware for now. A more likely trike candidate comes from America’s own Elio Motors, though that uses a small gas engine instead of an electric drivetrain to dart around town. The Arrow is also designed as both a trike and a four-wheeler, depending on your preference. As we’ve seen before though, three-wheelers can have some serious performance potential when done right."

taken from this site http://gas2.org/2014/01/06/arrow-ev-jet-fighter-road/

Jim

Arrow EV.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the design was penned by professional car designer Charles Bombardier in a partnership with British Canadian newspaper the Globe & Mail. .... we’ve seen before though, three-wheelers can have some serious performance potential when done right." View attachment 2285
I note from his wiki....
Bombardier does not patent his designs and publishes them on his website to gather feedback and improve his designs.[3] The concepts are meant to attract the attention of potential investors and manufacturers and create potential business opportunities.
Concepts are very far away from anything material. This particular one would not generate much interest from actual investors since once they examine it, there are some serious issues, and once addressed, the vehicle would have very little resemblance to the original artwork.
Unless you would consider something like the jet-car as being similar...
jetcar_06.jpg

But, just the fact a member of the family that produces the Can-Am trike is conceptualizing something that could be thought of as competitive with Elio, that is definitely interesting. If they got serious about it, there would be more artwork made that is closer to an actual consumer product. There is at least (at very minimum) 6months to get to a viable product design concept, a year to a mock-up, two years to get to a material prototype, and another year for production R&D. How far along could they be right now? Gas2 is pretty funny (in a bad way), they give Elio hell, but gave this 'Arrow' a free pass. Between the two only Elio has any utilitarian benefit. Proof positive Gas2 is about shock value selling news, and not about anything else. The Peugeot Liion was a much nicer design and much closer to a viable product, and was even a tilter! OK, ignore the hubless wheels, those are easily replaced. Notice the color?
Pue_Liion.png

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My personal favorite vaporware Concept is the Terracraft and would pay the price. Notice the YELLOW color and yes a tilter too. Mass production could bring the price down. Looks like an Elio on steroids. Perhaps Elio & Terracraft could partner in 2 or three years for an Elio Convertible Sport Coupe Edition.

image.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To me, it makes sense for EM to have an additional luxury upgrade product in addition to the flagship model. And come to think of it a tilter as a sport and leisure vehicle would fit nicely into the portfolio of three wheelers. Others here had said tilting would be nice. But the idea of being compatible with their name brand and market segment, yes I didn't scope that one out. Something like my Atlantric would be a good luxury style, but unsuitable for a tilter.
The other possible 'up-market' product would be both a diesel, an EV or a sport model. An enclosed off-road three wheeler isn't likely a viable product.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
After a successful launch of the initial vehicle I could definitely see EM offering a more premium three wheel vehicle not so much focused on ultra low cost and high MPG but instead focused on refinement and fun at a reasonable price. I don't know if EM will want to do a tilting vehicle however a vehicle with a much more powerful engine and more upscale interior appointments along with sportier handling and offering a convertible option would be an easy to sell premium vehicle. I would guesstimate that a target base price of just under $20K would keep the premium vehicle affordable, and increase the profit margin per vehicle, while also minimizing the sales impact on the entry level model. This price point would also be aimed squarely at the Can-An Spyder and Polaris Slingshot markets providing an alternative that is more comfortable and refined while offering somewhat similarly fun vehicle.

I can also see both the base model and any future premium model being eventually offered with an EV option. I expect over the next couple of years battery pack prices will drop to the point that electric becomes a reasonable option for already lightweight vehicles such as the Elio.

Some have suggested EM build a four wheeled vehicle however this makes no sense at all to me as it dilutes the brand which, in my opinion, should be known for affordable auto-cycles.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After a successful launch of the initial vehicle I could definitely see EM offering a more premium three wheel vehicle not so much focused on ultra low cost and high MPG but instead focused on refinement and fun at a reasonable price. I don't know if EM will want to do a tilting vehicle however a vehicle with a much more powerful engine and more upscale interior appointments along with sportier handling and offering a convertible option would be an easy to sell premium vehicle. I would guesstimate that a target base price of just under $20K would keep the premium vehicle affordable, and increase the profit margin per vehicle, while also minimizing the sales impact on the entry level model. This price point would also be aimed squarely at the Can-An Spyder and Polaris Slingshot markets providing an alternative that is more comfortable and refined while offering somewhat similarly fun vehicle.

I can also see both the base model and any future premium model being eventually offered with an EV option. I expect over the next couple of years battery pack prices will drop to the point that electric becomes a reasonable option for already lightweight vehicles such as the Elio.

Some have suggested EM build a four wheeled vehicle however this makes no sense at all to me as it dilutes the brand which, in my opinion, should be known for affordable auto-cycles.
Yes, definitely the rag-top version with a bigger engine. They may find in testing they can add a low boost turbo, and there you have the sport-police patrol model ! ;-) Didn't we have some paint-concept on the police model?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Chip Stempeck, Elio Marketing VP mentioned a few years back.............a tilting version would be interesting. It doesn't have to be high performance to be a fun tilter. The little Toyota i-Road City Car has a top speed of, as I recall, 45 mph and the test drivers said it was a blast to drive! A 100 mph tilter Elio more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Elio is perfect for now..........but who knows what the future Concept Elio may bring bring to the table......maybe an EV Tilter.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chip Stempeck, Elio Marketing VP mentioned a few years back.............a tilting version would be interesting. It doesn't have to be high performance to be a fun tilter. The little Toyota i-Road City Car has a top speed of, as I recall, 45 mph and the test drivers said it was a blast to drive! A 100 mph tilter Elio more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Elio is perfect for now..........but who knows what the future Concept Elio may bring bring to the table......maybe an EV Tilter.
just a point of interest in the tilt or articulated suspension and steering, would be the tire requirements for that mode of operation. the round profile would give less patch contact and probably increase the effeciency of the rolling friction loss, to give the mpg a boost. a simple test might be as simple as installing regular mc tires on the elio and do a mileage check to compare the friction loss against the regular flat tread current on the vehicle. don't think i'd want to five up the traction for a few more mpg. maybe just add a couple of more lbs of air to each tire and motor on. then there is the hydroplane issue with low tire pressure and light weight vehicles but that can be a simple tire tread selection ot solve that. so much to contemplate and so much unknown. gonna be fun to watch.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of the spare tire, at the Vehicle Research Institute, they had their first prototype use the spare double as the front tire.
Just for fun I attached some other Vikings, 23,45 and a trailer in test.

Attachments

• viking1.jpg
    viking1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Viking1.png
    Viking1.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 351
  • viking23_2005.jpg
    viking23_2005.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 365
  • viking45.jpg
    viking45.jpg