• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Atvm News - 2018 Fed Budget Proposal

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The key is cash flow. You can still lose money but as long as you are bringing in a good amount of money, you can survive. I think that's the major problem with Elio right now.

Without anything coming in, you do get to the point where even the IRS starts to take a look at what you are doing. This happens with many startups that the owner is taking their passion and turning it into a business. They can get away with it for about 3-4 years but then there some a point where the IRS will look at it as a hobby as opposed to a business. Thus, writeoffs, depreciation and other things will not be accepted. I know Elio is a bit more complex than that but there is a time where you need to see some sort of income where is reasonably close to what your expenses are. So far, the Elio expenses are way in excess as compared to what is coming in for real sales.

If Elio could start delivering cars and still lose X amount of dollars per car, at least money is coming in. You don't want it to cost you $20K for every $7K car you sell but even if it's $10K for every $7K car you sell, you can get away with it for a while as long as you are getting that delta smaller over time. Just look at Tesla, if it wasn't for the cash flow, I could never see that they would have made it further than 2015. Since they got the ball rolling, that delta gets smaller and smaller. Elio just needs to get the ball rolling.
Right. I mean, look how long Tesla's been able to lose money.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, that's the definition of a start up phase business. Tesla got past that stage through a combination of private and public funding. Elio is looking to do the same.
Tesla has lots more private funding in the form of cash since the owner was bankrolling it. Elio does not have that kind of cash because I don't remember reading anywhere how he hit it big selling something or winning the lottery. He went from middle management engineer at a supplier to shutting down his engineering firm because of lost business (just go to his linkedin profile, there's nothing there that strikes me as something phenomenal that would result in a big payday). In the end, one hasn't done much and the other has got a car company up and running plus has another company that can feed the international space station and land a rocket out in the middle of the ocean.

If Paul invented PayPaul and then sold it 15 years ago, I bet we'd have the 4th generation Elio on the road right now. When you got lots of money to start with, it's much easier to get access to others with lots of money. There's a reason I'd never start a car company, it's because I'd be right in the same predicament that Paul is in right now.

" Now my ears are burning. $1.7 billion
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/28/tesla-tencent-investment/ "

Why is that? The Chinese can already make a cheaper Elio and they want to do away with ICE. What they have been doing is investing heavily in alternative energy and electric. That is where it's at for them. As for Tesla, with the rollback of Clean Energy, just expect electric to get cheaper and a better infrastructure for it. This is great news for electric cars and helps out Tesla along with other electric trikes and cars.

The times are a changin' and I wonder if they went right past the Elio. I still believe if Elio would have started when he originally said (June 2014) they would be doing quite well today.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla has lots more private funding in the form of cash since the owner was bankrolling it. Elio does not have that kind of cash because I don't remember reading anywhere how he hit it big selling something or winning the lottery.

Reminds me of the saying: The key to making a small fortune is to start with a large one. :p

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Tesla has lots more private funding in the form of cash since the owner was bankrolling it. Elio does not have that kind of cash because I don't remember reading anywhere how he hit it big selling something or winning the lottery..
Paul Elio hitting the lottery? In your dreams; maybe his ex-wife, but not him. He was doing roofs or something else when he switched to starting the car company up, or he was working somewhere else, but he was backward in the banks for a long time now. So this is not anything new to him, he's been broke for a long time now. And the judge he ran into wasn't all that friendly either.

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In the end, one hasn't done much and the other has got a car company up and running plus has another company that can feed the international space station and land a rocket out in the middle of the ocean.
When he's not busying himself blowing them up on the pad because of fuel pressurization helium tank failures, followed by bizarre, paranoid insinuations that ULA has 007'd his beautiful rocket. Right?
If Paul invented PayPaul and then sold it 15 years ago, I bet we'd have the 4th generation Elio on the road right now.
More like, if Paul Elio's now-irrelevant dot-com had been bought out by some other company that made PayPal, then Paul got booted from his executive role because of foolish but stubborn technical and infrastructure/back-end suggestions, then the whole affair got bought out by another third company and Paul made some money...

Musk didn't invent PayPal, or even start it up. An earlier company that he co-founded was merged with another company, which had in turn started PayPal. Invested, sure, but not invented. eBay bought PayPal, generating the relevant windfall. Musk really hasn't invented anything. He just sort of gets attached to inventions by happenstance and popular misconception, and by his position as the upper manager that hands down edicts to hordes of engineers and developers and who holds stock options for when things go well. He's very much like Steve Jobs (marketer and upper manager, but neither engineer nor inventor, let alone visionary) in that way. The public perception of Musk is one of the innovator, but he's more Edison than Tesla, more Jobs than Wozniak, and if that analogy requires explaining then it reinforces my point.

Sorry, I just get sick of the general population's veneration casually tossed in the direction of Elon Musk, and I find myself unable to let it go anymore. Nice pun, though, PayPaul.

Top Bottom