• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Autonomous Next Year

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Luckily, no injuries were reported. That by itself is something pretty amazing.

It is important to note that Tesla's autopilot is NOT the same as a fully autonomous vehicle. While Tesla was a groundbreaker in the autonomous vehicle field, they have quickly fallen behind. They just can't keep up with the heavy-hitters in the auto and tech industry. Both GM and Waymo have quickly passed them.

Tesla's Autopilot rates as Level 2 autonomy, which is basically adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, auto-lane changing when directed, etc. The car *cannot* drive itself. Tesla has pretty much been stuck in this mode since they dumped MobileEye in 2016. Tesla claims that they can reach full autonomous with their current hardware, but lots of people doubt it. Even nVidia, who makes the processors for Tesla's autopilot system, doubts that the current hardware can support full autonomy. And Tesla doesn't use LIDAR at all, which most experts say is required for full autonomy.

The autonomous Bolts that GM's Cruise Automation wants to sell in 2019 are supposed to be full Level 5 capable.

EastCoastCentralFla

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do like this idea and hope it becomes reality soon only for the sole reason to extend my independence to live alone. I'm 66 and hate thinking in a few years depending on taxi's and buses to get me to the grocery, doctor, dentist.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about an autonomous motorcycle? I mean the two wheeled variety. After all, the Segway can balance already and they are bringing out electric motorcycles already. Would you need a helmet? A license? Would it do all the steering too, leaving you with handlebars to just hold onto?

I've also always been fascinated by the huge single wheels where you sit in the middle of the wheel called a monocycle. An electric one would be cool.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mon...e0I7ZAhWnq1kKHYRRDFsQsAQIgQE&biw=1600&bih=754

Last edited:
Top Bottom