• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Azkarra Three-wheeler From Quebec

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's an autocycle, needs windshield, motorcycles no windshield, but you must wear some type of eye protection
That's still not an autocycle according to Federal Specifications. At least not yet.
It's classified as an autocycle by a few states, but not by all. Again, not yet.

Mandatory eyewear is determined by state law only and the specific requirements vary by state.
Some states do not require eye protection whether there's a windshield or not.
http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-law.html

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's still not an autocycle according to Federal Specifications. At least not yet.
It's classified as an autocycle by a few states, but not by all. Again, not yet.

Mandatory eyewear is determined by state law only and the specific requirements vary by state.
Some states do not require eye protection whether there's a windshield or not.
http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-law.html
Good list (yes I copied the link) but it seems in the majority of states, it says "Required by law unless equipped with windscreen"
And it's also common sense if you like to keep your vision.
I don't know if you know what a June bug is but they are big (about 2" to 3" long, about an 1" wide, and if you step on one, you hear "SNAP" (they have a hard shell) plus they fly. I caught one in the middle of my forehead at 65mph and dam near got knocked out. It split my forehead open to the tune of 4 stitches and gave me one pounding headache, bled like crazy too (but all head wounds do)
Just really glad I had my glasses on at the time.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uuuugghhh no windshield = not street legal
I'm a little confused by your comment Coss. The Base level Polaris Slingshot does not come with any windshield or windscreen, and is street legal in most states (a few are still trying to wrap there head around motorcycle requirements for this vehicle).

The company does state on it website for the possible need of eye wear or helmet depending on your state's requirement (and of course the company always recommends wearing a DOT approved helmet at all times). So I get what you're saying about the helmet need, but just because it doesn't have a windshield doesn't mean its not street legal.

This webpage actually goes over the legal requirement for each state for licensing:
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot/license-requirements

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uuuugghhh no windshield = not street legal
Why Not? Perhaps your state regulations come into play. Here in Arizona, I see a few trikes on the road, including some Slingshots that don't have windshields and aren't required. These vehicles are classified as motorcycles. In Arizona, you have to wear headgear though, which means as little as a pair of glasses/sunglasses at a minimum. Many attempts at mandatory helmet laws have failed thus far. Must be quoting some Alternative Facts.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your comment Coss. The Base level Polaris Slingshot does not come with any windshield or windscreen, and is street legal in most states (a few are still trying to wrap there head around motorcycle requirements for this vehicle).

The company does state on it website for the possible need of eye wear or helmet depending on your state's requirement (and of course the company always recommends wearing a DOT approved helmet at all times). So I get what you're saying about the helmet need, but just because it doesn't have a windshield doesn't mean its not street legal.

This webpage actually goes over the legal requirement for each state for licensing:
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot/license-requirements
Why Not? Perhaps your state regulations come into play. Here in Arizona, I see a few trikes on the road, including some Slingshots that don't have windshields and aren't required. These vehicles are classified as motorcycles. In Arizona, you have to wear headgear though, which means as little as a pair of glasses/sunglasses at a minimum. Many attempts at mandatory helmet laws have failed thus far. Must be quoting some Alternative Facts.
I addressed that in the statement on post number 12, I had confused it with an Autocycle, but it's not, it is classified as a motorcycle here. Helmet and eye protection required at all times. I remember when WA didn't have the helmet law, and we all fought like crazy to keep it that way, but after going to the ballot 6 times it was finally voted in as a law. And that's how they are here; if the politico's feel it should be law and it gets voted down, they keep reintroducing it with slightly different wording, or they attach it to something else until it does pass.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I addressed that in the statement on post number 12, I had confused it with an Autocycle, but it's not, it is classified as a motorcycle here. Helmet and eye protection required at all times. I remember when WA didn't have the helmet law, and we all fought like crazy to keep it that way, but after going to the ballot 6 times it was finally voted in as a law. And that's how they are here; if the politico's feel it should be law and it gets voted down, they keep reintroducing it with slightly different wording, or they attach it to something else until it does pass.
Unfortunately, that's how it works everywhere :(

MagicDragon

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Colorado there is definition for autocycle that states " Currently, most self-propelled 3-wheel vehicles may be considered motorcycles under the "Uniform Motor Vehicle Law". This means, among other things, that a driver must have a motorcycle endorsement on the driver's license and wear a helmet. Autocycles are self-propelled 3-wheeled vehicles that have safety belts and air bags and are completely enclosed. The bill clarifies that the definition of "motorcycle" does not include autocycles. This means that motorcycle-specific rules don't apply to an autocycle driver. But autocycles are issued license plates that are similar to motorcycle plates." I guess that means the Acrimoto SRK is a motorcycle here since it does not have airbags. I don't remember if the Solo has airbags or not.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Colorado there is definition for autocycle that states " Currently, most self-propelled 3-wheel vehicles may be considered motorcycles under the "Uniform Motor Vehicle Law". This means, among other things, that a driver must have a motorcycle endorsement on the driver's license and wear a helmet. Autocycles are self-propelled 3-wheeled vehicles that have safety belts and air bags and are completely enclosed. The bill clarifies that the definition of "motorcycle" does not include autocycles. This means that motorcycle-specific rules don't apply to an autocycle driver. But autocycles are issued license plates that are similar to motorcycle plates." I guess that means the Acrimoto SRK is a motorcycle here since it does not have airbags. I don't remember if the Solo has airbags or not.
Nope it doesn't.

Top Bottom