• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Better Than An Electric By Far

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think there's something wrong with that electric range. On my 2013 Volt, at freeway speeds (70 mph), with the A/C on Max in 100 degree weather, I can easily get at least 36 miles before the engine thinks about coming on. It almost sounds like the Volt that was test driven was in Mountain mode, which keeps a 17 mile electric reserve. It'll drive on pure electric until it hits that 17 mile threshold and then the engine will come on. On my car, that would mean driving about 20-25 miles pure electric until the engine came on. The 2016+ Volt should be able to go about 30 miles or so before the engine would kick on in that mode, which sounds about like what the original poster described. But Mountain mode isn't set by default, so someone would have had to set it purposely.

Now, if you're continuously doing jack-rabbit starts in Sport mode, you're going to see a big dip in range. Nothing wrong with the Volt there. That's just physics.

As others mentioned, your electricity cost is about a factor of 10 too high. 11 cents per kWh is about right in most Western states.

I will admit, the Volt is a slow charger. At 240V the 2011-2015 Volts only put on about 10 miles every hour (limited to 3.3kw :( ). The 2016+ Volts will charge at a slightly higher rate (3.6kW, I think). The upshot of babying the battery in this way is longevity.

Honestly, there's rarely a good economic case for an EV, especially when compared to an Elio, but when doing the economic calculations for an EV, everyone always seems to jump to the long-distance scenario. Sure an Elio (or even a Chevy Cruze) would drive more efficiently from New York to San Francisco, but really, how often do most people do that? Ninety-nine percent of the time, most people drive a 40 mile per day or less round trip to work every day, and for those scenarios, EVs use...wait for it.... NO gasoline at all! The Volt has the added bonus that you could make that One-percent-of-the-time trip from coast to coast without having to worry about charging. Shoot, today I drove more than 100 miles on pure electric power, and I only paid for the electricity for 40 of those miles. Various free ChargePoint stations supplied the rest.

They're not for everyone, but if you couldn't tell, I *really* like my Volt. I suspect that Sethodine likes his EV, too.

That said... I still can't wait to get my Elio. :p

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Gently used" (leased/pre-owned) EVs are selling for the same price as equivalent ICE cars now, so if you ignore the new-car sticker price and look at what is actually on the market, there are many savings and advantages to EVs.

I'm not so much a fan of plug-in hybrids though. To me, it seems you are taking the worst aspects of a BEV and a ICE and bundling them together on a single car. Even worse electric range than a BEV, and you still have all of the ICE maintenance like oil, exhaust systems, etc. Too much compromise for too little benefit, in my mind. But again, buying pre-owned could certainly make it more economical than buying a pre-owned ICE. It all depends on the purchase price, really.

I hear ya. Sometimes I wonder what my Volt's electric range would be if I wasn't hauling around a engine, exhaust, and a fuel tank all the time... But, I like the peace of mind and at least the *ability* to drive long distances. It's almost like buying a truck. How often do you need to haul stuff around in the back? But you pay for that inefficiency every time you drive it. Maintenance? Given my current driving habits, I might have to change the oil once every two years. I suspect my brake pads might last the life of the car, given how often most of the braking is regenerative. I'm guessing that most EVs are in the same boat.

I totally agree that buying pre-owned is the way to go with these EVs. I wouldn't have been able to buy a new EV. Maybe I'll pick up a used Tesla Model 3 in 2022!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is your Leaf going to make it that long? I thought the 2012 had some battery issues that had a considerable effect on capacity.

A few of the 2011/2012 models did, but ours has had the expected rate of depletion. We just lost the second battery segment on the capacity indicator, which means the battery is charging to around 78.5% of it's original capacity. The car is four years old, and Nissan says a 5 year old car should have around 70-80% capacity. However, it is not a linear reduction in capacity, and a 10-year old Leaf should still be getting around 70% of original charge.

The battery is covered by an 8-year/100,000 mile warranty though, so if by 2020 it is significantly below expected capacity we can get it replaced on warranty :D

*Edit*

I should note that we bought ours in May 2015, after it had just come off a 3-year lease. It was either already down 1 bar of capacity when we bought it (indicating at least a 15% reduction in capacity), or it lost that bar shortly after purchase. I'm just not sure, since I didn't know to look when I bought it. You live and you learn, right?

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The battery is covered by an 8-year/100,000 mile warranty though, so if by 2020 it is significantly below expected capacity we can get it replaced on warranty :D

I forgot about this. Didn't this come out of the settlement instigated by owners in Arizona...or was it always the case?

We've leased our Leaf, specifically to avoid some of those issues...granted it is costing us a little more money, but we weren't planning on keeping it long enough for purchasing to make financial sense. Really need a BEV that can travel more than 250 miles per charge...so we're just using the Leaf as a dedicated urban vehicle.

Gets a lot of use though, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you can purchase an EV for less than 125% of an equivalent ICE, then it should make economic sense as well as emotional sense.

I am glad I'm not the one taking the depreciating asset that is a NEW electric.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depreciation is a consideration when buying any new vehicle........even the Elio. I'm willing to take the loss of depreciation if it's the right new vehicle ice or electric. I only buy new, but drive them 15 years......average cost per month perhaps less than a 3 year lease.
The Elio, the SRK, and the Tesla Model 3 would be the right new vehicles for me. My son buys vehicles coming off a three year lease with an extended manufacturer's full warranty and drives them 10 + years...........smart kid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom