• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Boat Towing

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 14' aluminum with trailer and 10 horse is well over 500#.

My favorite local lakes have ramps (sorta) that are steep and gravel.

Elio fishing will be bank or float tube fishing for me.

Besides, I much prefer my favorite kind of boat - someone else's.

FWIW, Lake od the Woods and back, 1 tank in an Elio, about $20 at current gas prices.
Now if the Elio just had long enough storage for a real rod...:rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm... how hard would it be to put a hitch on the front of the GEM for boat extraction?

it would take some real figuring to come up with a ball or receiver mount .... there simply isn't much significant metal there to work with .... if you were able to do so, you'd need a very light tongue weight ... a trailer with a front high flotation tire would help

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
it would take some real figuring to come up with a ball or receiver mount .... there simply isn't much significant metal there to work with .... if you were able to do so, you'd need a very light tongue weight ... a trailer with a front high flotation tire would help

Elio has previously stated that the Elio will be towable, as behind an RV. Hopefully they have engineered into the vehicle an attachment point for a towbar attachment. The line drawing of the frame of the vehicle appears to indicate that the top frame section, just behind the nose panel, might be a bolt-in section.

Should the above be accurate, it might be possible that a towbar manufacturer, such as RoadMaster, might produce a replacement modified crossmember which would have attachments, possibly in the area grill area, onto which a towing baseplate adapter can be mounted. This might be similar to that which is produced by Roadmaster for use with the 2012 Honda FIT. Only the pipe-like attachment devices remain visible when the towbar attachment device is removed.

Should all of the above come to pass, it would probably be fairly easy to come up with a detachable front ball hitch device which could fit into the attachment devices.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elio has previously stated that the Elio will be towable, as behind an RV. Hopefully they have engineered into the vehicle an attachment point for a towbar attachment. The line drawing of the frame of the vehicle appears to indicate that the top frame section, just behind the nose panel, might be a bolt-in section.

Should the above be accurate, it might be possible that a towbar manufacturer, such as RoadMaster, might produce a replacement modified crossmember which would have attachments, possibly in the area grill area, onto which a towing baseplate adapter can be mounted. This might be similar to that which is produced by Roadmaster for use with the 2012 Honda FIT. Only the pipe-like attachment devices remain visible when the towbar attachment device is removed.

Should all of the above come to pass, it would probably be fairly easy to come up with a detachable front ball hitch device which could fit into the attachment devices.

Ty's question didn't pertain to an Elio .... he was asking about a GEM (Global Electric Motors) car .... it is a street leagal electric vehicle .... we had one for several years .... with its front wheel drive, it didn't have enough traction on the drive tries to pull a boat trailer out of the water and up a ramp

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ty's question didn't pertain to an Elio .... he was asking about a GEM (Global Electric Motors) car .... it is a street leagal electric vehicle .... we had one for several years .... with its front wheel drive, it didn't have enough traction on the drive tries to pull a boat trailer out of the water and up a ramp

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I thought that this was the Elio page.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Luggage carrier that would be mounted in the back hatch, but never a trailer.
A lot of people have asked about trailers, and EM's answer is that they will void the warranty.

Why no discussion about a cartop carrier? I would like to read some discussion about cartop carriers. I took one on a 2500 mile trip without an incident.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Why no discussion about a cartop carrier? I would like to read some discussion about cartop carriers. I took one on a 2500 mile trip without an incident.
That just what EM was looking at doing.
Getting a car top carrier to work is a little more difficult because most (not all) of the bracketing clips into the door opening.
Since the Elio only has one door, you would probably have to drill through the roof to put in permanent brackets to hold it.
The reason EM is going with back hatch is because it has L&R opening areas to mount into

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That just what EM was looking at doing.
Getting a car top carrier to work is a little more difficult because most (not all) of the bracketing clips into the door opening.
Since the Elio only has one door, you would probably have to drill through the roof to put in permanent brackets to hold it.
The reason EM is going with back hatch is because it has L&R opening areas to mount into
The topper I have just has a bracket to hold it down to the roof rack cross bars. The Elio will have those attachment blind structural nuts. It won't be hard for a manufacturer of toppers to simply supply a template (I've actually done this) for a drilling point to gain access to four of the structural nuts. They'd have to supply some bolts and the instructions and the template but they wouldn't even need to design new toppers.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The topper I have just has a bracket to hold it down to the roof rack cross bars. The Elio will have those attachment blind structural nuts. It won't be hard for a manufacturer of toppers to simply supply a template (I've actually done this) for a drilling point to gain access to four of the structural nuts. They'd have to supply some bolts and the instructions and the template but they wouldn't even need to design new toppers.
" The Elio will have those attachment blind structural nuts"

Say what? Where did you see this? And where are they supposed to be?
I've never seen anything like that on the Elio, It could be great for some other applications too.

Top Bottom