• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Build in China

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio should at least investigate building the vehicle in China. I know he has boasted about the Elio being built in American with North American parts, but I don't think that matters much to people any more. I understand the good ole red blooded Mustang (EV) is not even made in the USA.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio should at least investigate building the vehicle in China. I know he has boasted about the Elio being built in American with North American parts, but I don't think that matters much to people any more. I understand the good ole red blooded Mustang (EV) is not even made in the USA.
Problem with China is you get what you pay for. They are totally capable of building excellent quality things, but Americans are looking for cheap. So that is what is imported to the USA. We like to think that "Made in USA" is a higher quality, and at times it is, but it took the Asian automakers to push the Americans to make better quality vehicles. The only way I see we can compete with American labor, and have a good quality, is lots of robots. The trade off there is less workers required for manual labor and more needed for the higher tech. That is one part of the equation Elio Motors got right. I am willing to pay a little more to keep Americans employed. On the practical side, I will not spend $40,000 for a new vehicle (unless I hit the lottery) and will keep driving my 1998 Plymouth Voyager van. It gets about 18 mpg and is paid for. Still less than 100K miles on it so it should last a while.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where he builds it is the least of his problems. Might as well say he's going to build it on the moon. Doesn't matter. What he needs to do is actually finish the product first. I look at it as he's running a marathon and stopped at the 15 mile mark. Then asks, "Is that good enough?" Instead this is what he needs to do:

1. Finish the product (as mentioned earlier)
2. Test over and over again to make sure it gives 84 mpg, is reliable and safe
3. Go on a whirlwind tour to let people drive it and especially the press. Prove what he says, is actually true.
4. Go get funding to finish the plant and start making the product

At this point, he cannot make a $7450, 84mpg or $14,900, 152 mile vehicle. It's impossible and he's just leading everyone on. If not, then he needs to get with the program. I will be the first to congratulate him and even buy a product if he can just actually make it to 26.2. Until then, it's just all claims with zero evidence to back it up. Paul might as well claim he can run a 2hr marathon. It's as plausible as his current and past claims.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Problem with China is you get what you pay for. They are totally capable of building excellent quality things, but Americans are looking for cheap.
they most certainly can produce the quality of products that businesses require .... Toyota has a reputation for producing quality vehicles .... I didn't know until recently that the small cubic inch motors used by Toyota and a number of other quality automotive manufactures are made in China .... those like the ones used by Toyota will also be used in the BEX

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think China can build it quality enough and many quality things comes from China. In fact, I think they will soon (if not already) be ahead of us in most everything, including production quality, etc.

But as I said, the whole idea he is trying to prove don't work with building it there. Now if his story is just a gimmick, then yes, I guess he can say, 'O by the way, we will start in China with the build'. But for me, this would discredit Paul more than lack of action....

jevans64

Elio Fan
Reaction score
China can build some quality stuff. Just look at what Oppo UDP-203 are going for on Ebay now since they stopped making them. It is the best 4K disc player I've ever owned, and I've owned some costing $2000. It is the ONLY disc player that will play MKVs with Atmos/DTS-X over a network. The Electra Meccanica Solo is made in China but that is being made on the cheap to maximize profit. $18.5k is too much for that vehicle.

Top Bottom