• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Build It Already!!!

Sharp Right

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

Though I fully understand why some are becoming anxious, I am trying to remain
hopeful. Each time that I drive my current car, I daydream about my future Elio.
As others have said, I want this car so bad that it hurts.

Perhaps those that moderate this forum might have enough data to give us one
long, continuous forum thread that gives short encouraging bullet points detailing
our ride from the beginning of the Elio journey, to our current place on the road.

Something like this might give all of us a little more hope, as we patiently wait.
If such a thread already exists, and I have missed it, perhaps somebody could
point the way.

Just A Thought...

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never been so "hot" to buy a car in my life! When I first heard of the Elio (about a year ago), I couldn't get enough! Like many of you, I stayed up late into the night, reading everything I could, day after day.

This car makes sense! A low-cost, simple-to-maintain, "low tech" vehicle? What a deal!!

Like many of you, I was excited to finally see (and hear!) the engine being tested!

But now I'm, like, "What? Still marketing? Enough already! Build the dang car!"

Surely with something like $60 million dollars collected (or even half of that!) and 40k+ of reservations, someone would have thought of actually building a real prototype (not some mule that doesn't have virtually any of the features of the real "proposed" vehicle). Heck! I've never built a car in my life. But give me a couple of million dollars, I double-dang guarantee you I could get a car built to spec. So what's the hold up?

Until that car is built, running and tested, this whole thing is just marketing hype.

I don't understand it. I've seen TV shows where craftsman design and build motorcycles from scratch in a matter of weeks. This vehicle (except for the engine) is said to consist of mostly "off-the-shelf" parts. SO BUILD THE DANG CAR ALREADY!!! What's the hold up? (Unless this really is just a scam....)

Why not write letters to both of your Senators and to your Representative in Congress explaining how the Elio would create 1500 direct jobs at a currently closed GM plant, 1500 jobs at suppliers, and about 18,000 indirect jobs at other businesses. Explain that this is an American built car that will help people that currently can't afford a car have basic transportation that will let them get to jobs that are currently too far away from their homes to be practical. Mention that this car, although it is internal combustion, will do more to reduce greenhouse gas emissions because of it's efficiency than all of the overpriced low range electric vehicles that people can't afford to buy. Make mention that Elio has already applied for a DOE ATVM UEV loan that when granted, and it should be, will jump start this entire process and potentially create a vehicle with export potential which will help our overall balance of trade.
Maybe if enough reservation holders and other interested people do that (write the letter) it will light a fire under the bureaucrats in Washington, DC and get some action.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not write letters to both of your Senators and to your Representative in Congress explaining how the Elio would create 1500 direct jobs at a currently closed GM plant, 1500 jobs at suppliers, and about 18,000 indirect jobs at other businesses. Explain that this is an American built car that will help people that currently can't afford a car have basic transportation that will let them get to jobs that are currently too far away from their homes to be practical. Mention that this car, although it is internal combustion, will do more to reduce greenhouse gas emissions because of it's efficiency than all of the overpriced low range electric vehicles that people can't afford to buy. Make mention that Elio has already applied for a DOE ATVM UEV loan that when granted, and it should be, will jump start this entire process and potentially create a vehicle with export potential which will help our overall balance of trade.
Maybe if enough reservation holders and other interested people do that (write the letter) it will light a fire under the bureaucrats in Washington, DC and get some action.
William,
What about a member who is adept at these things posting a 'form' letter to a sticky that we can copy and/or modify?
Say, Yourself or John Painter? Being a bit more private and personal than a petition signature, a letter may be more effective.
Better yet, could we have the thread invite anyone, who is so inclined, to submit their own version to enable more choice?
For usability, all the letters could be at the top of the thread with all commentary after.

I have to think that to many of us that have the best of intentions (including me)...
Sitting down, collecting the data, and composing our own letter seems a difficult task that we just never get around to.

If it were made that easy, IMO, more letters would be sent.

IMHO, this could be important enough to be given a forum subdivision of it's own.
That way it would be far more visible to the site visitor upon their arrival here.

Unite, organize, utilize your resource and all that sort of thing.

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William,
What about a member who is adept at these things posting a 'form' letter to a sticky that we can copy and/or modify?
Say, Yourself or John Painter? Being a bit more private and personal than a petition signature, a letter may be more effective.
Better yet, could we have the thread invite anyone who is so inclined, to submit their own version to enable more choice?
For usability, all the letters could be at the top of the thread with all commentary after.

I have to think that to many of us that have the best of intentions (including me)...
Sitting down, collecting the data, and composing our own letter seems a difficult task that we just never get around to.

If it were made that easy, IMO, more letters would be sent.

IMHO, this could be important enough to be given a forum subdivision of it's own.
That way it would be far more visible to the site visitor upon their arrival here.

Unite, organize, utilize your resource and all that sort of thing.

Great suggestion! I can't write a letter worth a flip, but I can copy, alter just a bit and then send.

We could post our responses from our representatives. If a large portion of the reservationists did this, it might make a difference.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

Though I fully understand why some are becoming anxious, I am trying to remain
hopeful. Each time that I drive my current car, I daydream about my future Elio.
As others have said, I want this car so bad that it hurts.

Perhaps those that moderate this forum might have enough data to give us one
long, continuous forum thread that gives short encouraging bullet points detailing
our ride from the beginning of the Elio journey, to our current place on the road.

Something like this might give all of us a little more hope, as we patiently wait.
If such a thread already exists, and I have missed it, perhaps somebody could
point the way.

Just A Thought...
Interesting concept.
I think it's a great idea for someone who has the time and inclination.
I think a comprehensive "history" would be a fantastic long-term addition to this site.
I think it's something that would also merit a forum subdivision of it's own.
And finally, I think it would greatly increase traffic to this site.

The "bullet points" would have to be confirmed and be referenced, to lessen conflicting input.
But it could be an ongoing 'work in progress' with commentary that involves members and visitors in it's creation.
EM themselves should be invited to contribute and/or to suggest corrections to any discrepencies at any time.
It would be unique and a worthy venture for a talented individual and a worthy one collectively for this site.
The site could boast about having the most comprehensive documentation of the Elio history on the web.

Imagine how many people would come here to reference a comprehensive list of linked faqs arranged in cronological order?

Last edited:

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's Thanksgiving. The food is cooking, your tummy grumbles in anticipation of the coming feast.
Mom is slaving away over a hot oven.

Would you ever say:
"SERVE THE FOOD ALREADY!!"
To your mom?

It will be ready.... when it is ready.
And when it is served, it will be worth the wait.

I'm just guessing here, but Paul Elio is less likely to hit you with a stainless steel ladle or wooden spoon for being impatient.
(though I wouldn't blame him)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope Paul is as good of a cook as my mother was.
The difference is my mother always hit her production dates.

Wha...? Hey...! Ouch!

Alright already! Put the stones down you damn fanatics!

Last edited:
Top Bottom