• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulk Shipping To Main Locations

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They said they will ship by train, put maybe not the way you think. It would be easy to place a cross bar on the ramp to hold the back tire.
JMO

veg.jpg

Last edited:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This reminds me of an idea I had a while back for shipping from the distribution centers to the stores. If the Elio can be shipped standing on end, nose down there already exists a truck that would be perfect. A flat bed straight truck with frames over the bed and a winch on a track that runs the length of the bed. You could probably get 6 or so on each truck. This truck was designed to transport septic tanks so weight would be no problem. Would cost a fraction of what it would cost to operate a semi.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And so why is it that they don't still ship cars like this?
For one design reason:
"Since the cars were stored with the nose down and shipped with all of their necessary fluids, certain aspects of the vehicles were designed specifically for this type of shipping process, including an oil baffle in the engine, a special anti-gravity (just kidding) battery, and even a repositioned windshield washer reservoir."

They also had a number of times that they weren't loaded correctly, so when they got to where they were going you'd have 3 of 4 train cars with body damaged Vega's. (The train cars held 30 Vega's each).

So while it was a new and original idea, it ended up being a one and done delivery system.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And so why is it that they don't still ship cars like this?
For one design reason:
"Since the cars were stored with the nose down and shipped with all of their necessary fluids, certain aspects of the vehicles were designed specifically for this type of shipping process, including an oil baffle in the engine, a special anti-gravity (just kidding) battery, and even a repositioned windshield washer reservoir."

They also had a number of times that they weren't loaded correctly, so when they got to where they were going you'd have 3 of 4 train cars with body damaged Vega's. (The train cars held 30 Vega's each).

So while it was a new and original idea, it ended up being a one and done delivery system.
they were "damaged" long before they were put on transports

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
they were "damaged" long before they were put on transports
The Vega's had potential, and GM already knew how to build small cars; they had been doing it for years in EU, but they just couldn't figure out how to make it appealing to the US market.
I really liked the Corvair's (I had 5 of them, not at the same time) but Nader killed those.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Vega's had potential, and GM already knew how to build small cars; they had been doing it for years in EU, but they just couldn't figure out how to make it appealing to the US market.
I really liked the Corvair's (I had 5 of them, not at the same time) but Nader killed those.
they were always appealing to me which aint saying much when I was driving around in a 2CV Citroen!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
they were always appealing to me which aint saying much when I was driving around in a 2CV Citroen!
The wildest Corvair I had was a trike I built; I did a flip over on the motor (so the motor in front of the transaxle) it sat 1, so I had a carb on either side of my knees, I sat about over the flywheel; 2 speed auto, would wheelie at 60 just by turning the throttle, had a 14" over springer front, solid suspension in the rear (so a hard tail) made the ride a little softer by putting some big tires on it (like 10"x15") and was painted purple; pony keg for a gas tank.
It was fun; used to scare me every time I took it out, sold it after 5 years. I would love to have one again. :thumb:

Top Bottom