• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bullitt...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just happen to be watching Bullitt, an old Steve McQueen movie [DUH! for most guys here]. A few of observations. I believe Steve did his own driving during the chase scene with the Charger, correct? I kept checking out the rearview mirror in the Mustang, and it sure looked like him.

Just had a scene in police headquarters. They were waiting for a Teletype to come through...plugged the entire telephone receiver [old school] in a box (transceiver?). Wow, I remember those! Sounded like a cross between a steam engine and a diesel when running, and took FOREVER to print one lousy black and white page of text.

Finally, during the chase scene, I kept catching myself checking out the other cars in the scene and thinking of what they'd be worth at Barrett-Jackson in that condition. o_O

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just happen to be watching Bullitt, an old Steve McQueen movie [DUH! for most guys here]. A few of observations. I believe Steve did his own driving during the chase scene with the Charger, correct? I kept checking out the rearview mirror in the Mustang, and it sure looked like him.

Just had a scene in police headquarters. They were waiting for a Teletype to come through...plugged the entire telephone receiver [old school] in a box (transceiver?). Wow, I remember those! Sounded like a cross between a steam engine and a diesel when running, and took FOREVER to print one lousy black and white page of text.

Finally, during the chase scene, I kept catching myself checking out the other cars in the scene and thinking of what they'd be worth at Barrett-Jackson in that condition. o_O
he drove the motorcycle himself in the Great Escape (but didn't do the jump.)
Didn't he and SteveJobs wind-up in the same clinic in Mexico (to no help)?

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Finally, during the chase scene, I kept catching myself checking out the other cars in the scene and thinking of what they'd be worth at Barrett-Jackson in that condition. o_O[/QUOTE]
I do that too, in most older movies .

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still think that that's the best car chase ever filmed! Here's what I found on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullitt#Car_chase

McQueen, an accomplished driver, drove in the close-up scenes, while stunt coordinator Carey Loftin, stuntman and motorcycle racer Bud Ekins, and McQueen's usual stunt driver Loren Janes drove for the high-speed part of the chase and other dangerous stunts.[14] Ekins, who doubled for McQueen in the The Great Escape sequence where McQueen's character jumps over a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle, also lays one down in front of a skidding truck during the Bullitt chase. The Mustang’s interior rear view mirror goes up and down depending on who is driving; when the mirror is up McQueen is visible behind the wheel; when it is down a stunt man is driving.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awesome! And I remember the scene where the guy lays down the bike [it was like an hour ago :rolleyes:]. Great chase scene! Ronin also had comparable one. :cool:

Sounds like a good topic for a thread while we're waiting for our Elios..."Best Chase Scene In a Movie".

One caveat: No CG allowed.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awesome! And I remember the scene where the guy lays down the bike [it was like an hour ago :rolleyes:]. Great chase scene! Ronin also had comparable one. :cool:

Sounds like a good topic for a thread while we're waiting for our Elios..."Best Chase Scene In a Movie".

One caveat: No CG allowed.
great idea!
time to sign-off -IX:XXII Look forward to more of your posts lol
I "ll check in the morning to see how you're doing

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't know whether you know this, but McQueen had a pretty good run as a racing driver towards the end of his movie career and afterwards.

From Wikipedia

He followed his Oscar nomination with 1968's Bullitt, one of his most famous films, which co-starred Jacqueline Bisset, Robert Vaughn and Don Gordon. It featured an unprecedented (and endlessly imitated) auto chase through San Francisco. Although McQueen did do the driving that appeared in closeup, this was about 10% of what is seen in the film's car chase. The rest of the driving by the McQueen character was done by stunt drivers Bud Ekins and Loren Janes.[25]Bullitt went so far over budget that Warner Brothers cancelled the contract on the rest of his films, seven in all.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know whether you know this, but McQueen had a pretty good run as a racing driver towards the end of his movie career and afterwards.

From Wikipedia

He followed his Oscar nomination with 1968's Bullitt, one of his most famous films, which co-starred Jacqueline Bisset, Robert Vaughn and Don Gordon. It featured an unprecedented (and endlessly imitated) auto chase through San Francisco. Although McQueen did do the driving that appeared in closeup, this was about 10% of what is seen in the film's car chase. The rest of the driving by the McQueen character was done by stunt drivers Bud Ekins and Loren Janes.[25]Bullitt went so far over budget that Warner Brothers cancelled the contract on the rest of his films, seven in all.

Well props to all the stunt drivers in Bullitt! Excellent movie (but the soundtrack was driving my wife nuts while she was reading :rolleyes::D). I also remember Steve in Le Mans when I was a kid. Loved (still do) the early 70's Porsche's (got 3 of them) and Ford GT40's. Thanks for the Bullitt trivia, Ekh! I knew Steve did some legit racing, but always thought he did more of the driving in his movies...Learn something every day.

Top Bottom