• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Car Camping

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
When I drove up to Indy to see the Elio I met a guy that's trying to figure out how to sleep in an elio, can't remember his name. He had his tape measure out and the overall of the interior space works, with some modifications. The problem is that the front seat can only fold forward so far because of the steering wheel, but if it could, there is about 82" available. Could be as simple as extending the front seat rails so the seat can fold flat, but I doubt it. So few people would make use of this that it makes no sense for Elio to even attempt to accommodate this, but it seems like an opportunity for an aftermarket product.

Set up a party tent right over the car and a campground picnic table, could be a nice set-up. What do you think?

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slide the drivers seat all the way back. Fold it forward. Fols pass.seat down. Feet in trunk, butt on pass. seat back, back on back of driver seat. Lay- Z-elio- Boy style. :cool:

runt2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
When I drove up to Indy to see the Elio I met a guy that's trying to figure out how to sleep in an elio, can't remember his name. He had his tape measure out and the overall of the interior space works, with some modifications. The problem is that the front seat can only fold forward so far because of the steering wheel, but if it could, there is about 82" available. Could be as simple as extending the front seat rails so the seat can fold flat, but I doubt it. So few people would make use of this that it makes no sense for Elio to even attempt to accommodate this, but it seems like an opportunity for an aftermarket product.

Set up a party tent right over the car and a campground picnic table, could be a nice set-up. What do you think?

I would be interested in this option. Being able to sleep for a few hours in a comfortable position at a rest stop on long trips when you are too tired to continue safely would be very helpful. I would also like it for the camping option you described. I think it would have to be an aftermarket replacement front seat with a hinge half way-ish up the back support - the bottom portion folding on top of the horizontal portion of the seat making it the correct height and the upper portion folding verticle right in front of the steering wheel. Hopefully someone will design such a seat.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or maybe just install longer rails for the front seat so it can slide back farther, enough to allow it to fold forward completely without hitting the steering wheel?

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Or maybe just install longer rails for the front seat so it can slide back farther, enough to allow it to fold forward completely without hitting the steering wheel?
That's what I said in my first post. However the shape of the seat may still not allow it, not sure.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a roof-top pop-up camper? Something like this, but half as wide to fit onto the Elio roof.
Beijing-Tents-Truck-Roof-Top-Tents-with-Side-Awning.jpg

Top Bottom