• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Charlotte, Nc; Dec 05, 2014 - Dec 07, 2014

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's bigger than anything on my property, way beyond what I could do with my MS250 with 18" blade. That firewood would heat my house for years. Too much splitting unless you have the right machinery. I'm down to basic splitting wedge, axe and sledge hammer. I have a pretty impressive beech tree out there that will some day fall and crush the property line fence but maybe I'll be gone by then. That's my biggest pine is the picture there and a white oak about the same diameter or a little bigger. Come down for a tour when you get your Elio.

Hey UFC'73---
I hate to back up too far on a thread but I got to thinking: Don't sell that MS250 short. Good saw and you might be able to get more oomph out of it relatively easily. Please excuse me for going into chainsaws on a car forum too. There's a bunch of excellent saw forums out there. But- I bought a brand new MS390 a few years ago for $100. The guy didn't like the way it ran. After some research I found that this saw is sold in Europe with a stock ported muffler and tuned differently. In the good 'ol US of A they choked it down to meet requirements. I found some fairly simple instructions to port the muffler (properly) and retune the supposedly untunable carb. It now runs like a scalded dog. Before, I could run a 25" bar and it would bog down. Now I can run a 28" and keep on diggin' in white oak. And, you might consider a more aggressive chain too. Stihl has dozens of chains and research is dizzying. A good local Stihl guy in a shop is invaluable.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Charlotte visit. First off, that’s the biggest damned mall I’ve ever been in and not easy to get to, quite stressful for a country boy with mall-phobia. Where I live everyone drives a pick-up truck. When I parked I noticed mine was the only pick-up in the lot. My wait in line was about an hour and this was only Friday. My observations are probably not new. The car is definitely cool and I can’t wait for delivery. It’s small than I expected and really does look like one of those shells around a motorcycle, except for the protruding front wheels. The dashboard is buttugly like out of the 50s, but isn’t that going to change in P5? The hatch is even smaller than I imagined and you can probably only fit a laptop case in there. The back seat didn’t fold all the way down like I expected, but, again, I think this is only a stand-in for the final design. I’m only 5’9” and my head hit the roof in the back seat, but the rep told me that the seat would be lower in the final model. I noticed people got in and out of the back seat with some difficulty and it would be nice to have a back door. I was surprised how low to the ground the car is. It looked like about 4 inches of clearance at the lowest point of the wheel suspension and not much more than that for the chassis. So avoid ruddy dirt roads. About that orange. I noticed my pictures always looked a deeper orange than the actual car color. I looked around for someone who might be in the blog. Looked for “oldfarmer,” but half the people
DSCF0010.JPG
in line looked liked old farmers, including me. There seemed to be a lot of interest from passers-by and I loitered around a little while watching people’s reaction.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Charlotte visit. First off, that’s the biggest damned mall I’ve ever been in and not easy to get to, quite stressful for a country boy with mall-phobia. Where I live everyone drives a pick-up truck. When I parked I noticed mine was the only pick-up in the lot. My wait in line was about an hour and this was only Friday.

thanks for the info .... if all goes well, I know there will be at least one more pickup in the parking lot tomorrow ..;).. we hope to be there when they open in the morning and to hang around until early afternoon

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey UFC'73---
I hate to back up too far on a thread but I got to thinking: Don't sell that MS250 short. Good saw and you might be able to get more oomph out of it relatively easily. Please excuse me for going into chainsaws on a car forum too. There's a bunch of excellent saw forums out there. But- I bought a brand new MS390 a few years ago for $100. The guy didn't like the way it ran. After some research I found that this saw is sold in Europe with a stock ported muffler and tuned differently. In the good 'ol US of A they choked it down to meet requirements. I found some fairly simple instructions to port the muffler (properly) and retune the supposedly untunable carb. It now runs like a scalded dog. Before, I could run a 25" bar and it would bog down. Now I can run a 28" and keep on diggin' in white oak. And, you might consider a more aggressive chain too. Stihl has dozens of chains and research is dizzying. A good local Stihl guy in a shop is invaluable.
Interesting about the tuning on the MS250. It's a good dependable saw but does labor some going through a thick cut. I'll ask at the local shop. As is, it's usually enough for me. I don't have any more mammoth trees that need to come down for now. My main chore has been clearing a few acres of invasive Chinese Privet, red cedars and winged elms to make way for more oaks, maples, beech, etc.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks for the info .... if all goes well, I know there will be at least one more pickup in the parking lot tomorrow ..;).. we hope to be there when they open in the morning and to hang around until early afternoon
JEBar, have a great visit. Good to get there early because that line gets long fast. Don't take too much money -- lot's of people in that mall trying to get you to buy things.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a tip. I showed up for the Jacksonville showing 15 minutes prior to scheduled opening, and had one person in front of me. The staff were set up and ready for the public.

Top Bottom