• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Comments From A Mechanical Engineer

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For most normal driving situations I think the most remarkable thing about the Elio's handling will be how unremarkable it is. It will drive just like any other small front wheel drive economy car. The only problem I see is if really pressed in the corners and the rear wheel breaks loose it will be difficult to get it back (again just like other front wheel drive cars) The Elio's advantage is it's long wheelbase for a small car. With it's forward CG and long moment arm the rear wheel loading doesn't have much traction but it doesn't have much mass either. Long wheelbase will definitely contribute to stability.

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The big advantage to the Elio's FWD layout is the number of existing platforms available the Elio could source parts from. There was no need to reinvent a drive train or suspension, only to decide what options best suited integration into the design. The economics of scale dictate the component expense will be less, because those components are not just made for the Elio, but for every other vehicle that is produced using them. Their only departure from this is the engine design (and possibly transmission or tranny gearing), which means part availability and cost for repairs should stay in the range that an economy commuter requires. After all, the market for a $6800 vehicle also requires the cost of keeping them on the road to be commiserate with the initial outlay.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm no engineer, but I drive cars!! I personally feel the Elio with it's FWD, Rack & Pinion Steering, and light weight will make it a responsive and remarkably fun drive.
I agree with Rickb. I think if you really want the feel of driving a mc then that is what you should buy. I had a friend who bought a mc trike because of injuries from riding the traditional mc. He hated the way it handled. I think the reverse trike would have resolved some of his issues. This PRV is not supposed to sway. There are others out there being built that do just that but they are also 3-4 times more expensive. But then I am a woman who is not into racing or taking corners the faster the better. I very simply want a comfortable ride at an affordable price and one that is fun to drive and cute! :-) Z

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Front wheel drive on a two at the front, one rear design is arguably safer on a trike, especially one to be driven by the masses. If a front wheel lifts in a corner, the drive is lost and no further acceleration can occur.

Conversely, on a RWD trike, you can continue accelerating with a front wheel in the air while cornering until a rollover occurs.

We here used to enjoy a small car company known as JZR, which stood for John Ziemba Restorations. He designed a Morgan lookalike, powered by the Honda CX500 motorcycle engine.

A potential customer was killed when a rollover accident occurred on a demo drive and if I'm not mistaken, It finished the company.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We
I've been exchanging info about Elio Motors with a good friend who has degrees in both mechanical and electrical engineering .... he's also owned/driven motorcycles for well over 40 years, currently owns 2 nice Harley cruisers .... as a result of me asking him to look into it, he sent the following :
"IMHO it should have been designed to drive the rear wheel and keep the front end light
I for one, won't give your friend too much bashing, but the thing is, everyone has thier specialty. Especially engineers. In comparison to him, I probably couldn't hope to design the kind of Electrical equipment he does, even though I have a backgraound in Electrical and Digital electronics. Give me two years of study, and then maybe I'm still not ready.

You really need hands on experience with the technology and at the experimental level to deal with new designs. If you are are at the manufacturing aspect of current technology, you can be totally in a different boat as well. If you are focussed to project management that's a total different colored cat too.

The three wheeler vehicle has been argued back and forth with many mis-undestandings and disconnects. Many people claiming to be experts, but not really getting all aspects. A 2F1R expert almost always differs with a 1F2R expert. But like I say before, it's often the goals and intent that differ when we thought we were arguing physics.

If you don't have hands on, with all configurations, people often wouldn't be able to sort it all out until just the last 10years or so. In that time a bulk of people are now getting it, so an internet search can often turn you right, unless you get one of those false experts.

This wiki page is current to what is known, maybe that will help settle the question of 'best' configuration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-wheeler

Especially check the 'safety' section.

Last edited:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not expecting Supercar handling but it should be ok and relatively similar to many other small cars on the market. I do think it wont have Rolls Royce comfort levels so I kind of do expect a semi stiff ride. I may be wrong and I hope I am as I think it will draw negative criticism.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Front wheel drive on a two at the front, one rear design is arguably safer on a trike, especially one to be driven by the masses. If a front wheel lifts in a corner, the drive is lost and no further acceleration can occur.

Conversely, on a RWD trike, you can continue accelerating with a front wheel in the air while cornering until a rollover occurs.

We here used to enjoy a small car company known as JZR, which stood for John Ziemba Restorations. He designed a Morgan lookalike, powered by the Honda CX500 motorcycle engine.

A potential customer was killed when a rollover accident occurred on a demo drive and if I'm not mistaken, It finished the company.
In fact, similarly, I have a friend who owned a Trimagnum with an 1100cc engine. His friend gave it a go, popped a wheelie, possibly intentionally, rolled mid-air and died. If that was the intent, it was a fatal mistake. In a TRex with more weight to the front, at that power level, the typical experience is to burn so much rubber you can't drive straight. Takes skill to turn that into power-controlled steering.
So on the other hand a power-turn manuver is impossible with -2F1R-Front Wheel drive. Who needs a power turn? Only racers mostly. FWD can be a disbenefit for racing but a safety feature for the street.

-I had to add this. the difference between the Trex and that particular TriMagnum, exposes one engineering issue that RWD Tadpoles have and that particular trade off does not exist in the FWD tadpole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom