• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Could The Key Players Get Bought Out?

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to this question, so I'll toss it out and see if others know: Are motorcycles (remember, Elio is a motorcycle) subject to any safety regulations and required crash tests, etc.? I realize Elio Motors will voluntarily be safety testing, but I don't know if gov't requires it for 'cycles. I don't see how new regs could be passed solely for Elio, without requiring those regs across the board for all motorcycles.

I will let CJ speak for himself but I read that he is more concerned that current regulations (meeting motorcycle requirements instead of car requirements) could be changed to require Elio to meet more stringent regulations which would drive up costs and make it more difficult to make it. (Big car companies could lobby (with big money) congress to force Elio to meet all regulations that car companies do). I personally don't see that happening unless Elio really takes off. JMHO

CJ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I will let CJ speak for himself but I read that he is more concerned that current regulations (meeting motorcycle requirements instead of car requirements) could be changed to require Elio to meet more stringent regulations which would drive up costs and make it more difficult to make it. (Big car companies could lobby (with big money) congress to force Elio to meet all regulations that car companies do). I personally don't see that happening unless Elio really takes off. JMHO

Honestly I still keep thinking of this as a car even though I know it is technically a motorcycle. Beer Brewer correctly recognized this. I am more curious about the timing of coming up with rules for this as an autocycle. It would be advantagous to keep referring to it as a motorcycle for reasons like this. I work in a regulatory environment and my job is regulatory in nature and I know first hand what a PITA regulators can be. I no longer feel funding will be a problem. I am more worried about red tape pushing the process out over and over.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to this question, so I'll toss it out and see if others know: Are motorcycles (remember, Elio is a motorcycle) subject to any safety regulations and required crash tests, etc.? I realize Elio Motors will voluntarily be safety testing, but I don't know if gov't requires it for 'cycles. I don't see how new regs could be passed solely for Elio, without requiring those regs across the board for all motorcycles.

IIRC, EM is lobbying to allow(?)...make mandatory(?)... crash testing. This could accomplish several "positives." One is, it adds credibility to EM's safety claims. Another is, It sets the "standard" for other (future) manufacturers to meet.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JMHO but I don't thing Elio is on the minds of big car companies yet. They may be keeping an eye on the Elio to see how it does. If Elio takes root and starts eating into profits of Big Car Companies then I think they would then take a look at building a 3 wheeler. Don't think there is enough profit in a low priced 3 wheelers to pay Union wages and keep Union pensions funded. Big Car Companies will have to hope to sell a lot of 20, 30, and 40K cars to support the lifestyle they have created.

What If? - Elio Beyond 2017 . . . post #26
...testing is done & folks start going to work in Louisiana. Worrying about Detroit's reaction to Elio is a worry I'd like to have................. :)
Post by: Kuda, Jun 2, 2014 in forum: General Elio Discussion

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's an enclosed motorcycle.......why would big car companies feel threatened? Perhaps motorcycle companies should worry as they begin losing their aging biker customer base to the enclosed cabin Elio Trike.

There is/will be a huge market demand for the Elio................and a continued market demand for what big car companies churn out. Elio will be the ideal 'second' car for most families. The other market Elio may take a chunk out of is the USED CAR market. Why buy used when you can buy a new, reliable, high mpg Elio for $6800.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's an enclosed motorcycle.......why would big car companies feel threatened? Perhaps motorcycle companies should worry as they begin losing their aging biker customer base to the enclosed cabin Elio Trike.
There is/will be a huge market demand for the Elio................and a continued market demand for what big car companies churn out. Elio will be the ideal 'second' car for most families. The other market Elio may take a chunk out of is the USED CAR market. Why buy used when you can buy a new, reliable, high mpg Elio for $6800.

I'm NOT going to purchase a new small car for my 80 mile round trip to the big city and I'll probably keep my Truck, MC and Rag Top for use when they are required. Like PE said, this will be my and vehicle. The Elio will take a bite out of small car sales. Their (big auto makers) concern will be heard, felt and seen. JMO

Last edited:

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm NOT going to purchase a new small car for my 80 mile round trip to the big city and I'll probably keep my Truck, MC and Rag Top for use when they are required. Like PE said, this will be my and vehicle. The Elio will take a bite out of small car sales. Their (big auto makers) concern will be heard, felt and seen. JMO
Exactly. This is something that will appeal to many different people - young & old - and on many different income levels. Those who just want a car who can't otherwise afford a new one. Those like you & me, who could probably afford a more expensive car; however, we beat a car to death & spend too much money on fuel because of our commute. From a logical perspective, it just makes so much sense!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio is a driven man and I don't think he will abandon his dream. Ego's and dreams are hard to overcome and I truly feel his dream of the Elio far outweighs a buyout potential. I still believe he is a man of principle, an engineer, and a dreamer. It doesn't seem he has ever been driven by the all mighty dollar and he is not willing to give up his dreams.
He's only driven by dollars in the sense of finding ways to reduce cost. That's how he started in automotive engineering -- and the firm he worked for then didn't want to take the trouble to follow his findings regarding the placement of a single bolt.

Top Bottom