• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crash Testing?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then why do they show them in car commercials? I always thought it showed "Look at how safe this vehicle is! See the airbags going off? Must be safe!"

But really, I just love watching things smash, and I'd love to see the Elio crunching in a "I won't die in that thing" kind of way.
One tactic is to do only existing models, not a new model. Unless on the balance of things the press time is worth it.

They are indeed very carefull on how these things are presented.

I should mention, in the past it was a very big problem as cars modernized. The old heavy land-yahts didn't always show as much damage as newer vehicles because crush-zone were detirmined to save lives. When with out a verbal explination of just the images would convince the public that old and heavy was safer, When in fact cushed and mangeled was much-much safer. The Viking 6 vehicle I worked on was to show a high-mileage car could be safe. It beat the safety of all production consumer vehicles at the time exhibiting very nicely how crush was better than sturdy. It had 24in of plastic foam in the nose.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What a shame, that 59 was in good shape before they turned it into scrap. (Even though it was a 4 door).
On the 59, you could probably save from the parcel shelf back and turn it into a couch ;)

Top Bottom