• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Cvt? Nope, More Speeds In Automatics

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Found this article today about a joint venture between Ford and GM.
A new 10 speed automatic transmission.
Quite informative, and kind of interesting that Ford and GM would do a joint development on it.

10 Things to Know About the New Ford/GM 10-Speed Automatic Transmission

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...gm-10-speed-automatic-transmission/ss-AAiw2Zh

<Use the arrows on the right side of the pictures to get the entire story>

Glad I don't work on tranny's anymore; I would be back in the classroom for this one.
You never change the fluid, so it's a sealed system; no torque converter, 6 clutches controlled by 2 hydraulic pumps; and more.

They mention they will be developing a model for Front Wheel Drive also.
And Ford has a new 3.5 Eco-boost V-6 that puts out 370hp

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many OEMs are forming development partnerships, especially for low volume tech that would be prohibitively expensive for a single OEM to develop. For example, Toyota and BMW are jointly developing the Supra replacement, which will have a BMW I analog. This is similar to the recent Mazda/Fiat joint project to develop the Miata/Fiat 124 Spider.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Many OEMs are forming development partnerships, especially for low volume tech that would be prohibitively expensive for a single OEM to develop. For example, Toyota and BMW are jointly developing the Supra replacement, which will have a BMW I analog. This is similar to the recent Mazda/Fiat joint project to develop the Miata/Fiat 124 Spider.
Subaru did the same thing before; I think with Toyota<?>
I was more interested in why would they do a 10 speed, and not a truly robust CVT?
Maybe because they know the American buyers and what they like?
Or is it because they found that a CVT won't work in their Trucks/SUV's/ High performance cars (besides the F150 and the Raptor the Camaro is getting it too.)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Subaru did the same thing before; I think with Toyota<?>
I was more interested in why would they do a 10 speed, and not a truly robust CVT?
Maybe because they know the American buyers and what they like?
Or is it because they found that a CVT won't work in their Trucks/SUV's/ High performance cars (besides the F150 and the Raptor the Camaro is getting it too.)
Here's one article on the partnership's motivation.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/why-ford-and-gm-think-your-car-needs-10-speeds

Top Bottom