• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Did Elio Close On The Shreveport Plant?

JJ

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost as I'm just getting into this forum. I read that Elio was supposed to close on the plant in Louisiana by end of July. Does anyone know if this actually happened? I also heard the first Elio's won't be rolling out unitl Sept. 2015 ;)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Sorry if this is a repost as I'm just getting into this forum. I read that Elio was supposed to close on the plant in Louisiana by end of July. Does anyone know if this actually happened? I also heard the first Elio's won't be rolling out unitl Sept. 2015 ;)

Hi JJ, welcome to the forum from Kansas. There's a search box in the upper right for future reference. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. But no worries, we'll get you hooked up. The forum moderators may merge this thread to another thread, if appropriate.

For the Shreveport plant, if I remember correctly, the Caddo Parish Industrial Development Board bought the plant, then is renting it to a nat'l real estate group, IRG (I think), and then IRG is leasing about 1/3 of the plant to Elio Motors. It's possible that some of the supplier companies may set up shop in the plant too.

And yes, Sept 2015 is the last date I heard, probably 2-3 months ago. That is for production to start. Daily production counts will most likely be pretty low for the first few weeks, and maybe even months. But yes, production to start in roughly 13 months.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi JJ, welcome to the forum from Kansas. There's a search box in the upper right for future reference. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. But no worries, we'll get you hooked up. The forum moderators may merge this thread to another thread, if appropriate.

For the Shreveport plant, if I remember correctly, the Caddo Parish Industrial Development Board bought the plant, then is renting it to a nat'l real estate group, IRG (I think), and then IRG is leasing about 1/3 of the plant to Elio Motors. It's possible that some of the supplier companies may set up shop in the plant too.

And yes, Sept 2015 is the last date I heard, probably 2-3 months ago. That is for production to start. Daily production counts will most likely be pretty low for the first few weeks, and maybe even months. But yes, production to start in roughly 13 months.

What Jeff said. THey purchased the equipment inside the building, but will be leasing their portion of the building. And that has been completed.

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acc to this 2014 June 24 Forbes article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...e-wheel-car-that-could-be-the-next-big-thing/

"A sleekly designed three-wheeled two-passenger vehicle from startup manufacturer Elio Motors in Troy, Mich. is planned for introduction sometime during 2015 that promises up to 84 mpg on the highway and a sticker price starting at just $6,800."

"Production is scheduled to begin next March with an initial hire of 1,500 workers. The company hopes to sell 50,000-60,000 cars during its first full year on the road, and as many as 250,000 units annually after five years."

IIRC, deliveries ("sales") are planned to begin in Sept. 2015.

So, Elio is supposed to initiate production in about 7 months!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...e-wheel-car-that-could-be-the-next-big-thing/

"A sleekly designed three-wheeled two-passenger vehicle from startup manufacturer Elio Motors in Troy, Mich. is planned for introduction sometime during 2015 that promises up to 84 mpg on the highway and a sticker price starting at just $6,800."

"Production is scheduled to begin next March with an initial hire of 1,500 workers. The company hopes to sell 50,000-60,000 cars during its first full year on the road, and as many as 250,000 units annually after five years."

I believe that production date was moved to Sept. 2015 and I have heard of no changes since that announcement. It was made by Paul Elio but I don't recall the date. Paul Elio tried very hard to keep to the March date but issues with the Shreveport plant that have now been resolved caused a change of schedule. Otherwise, it seems to be a good article. Thanks for posting. :-) Z

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Hi Paladin, for some reason the articles cranked out by some of the websites are not quite accurate. I've found the best source of the latest information is here or directly from Elio Motors. I agree with Zelio, Sept 2015 (or 3rd quarter from some sources, which to me would be July Aug or Sept, so I'm just always going with the worst-case scenario of Sept) is start of production.

Over the past several months, probably more than half of the articles have some fact they state that isn't true. For example, an article might come out next week saying "nearly 25,000 reservations", when it'll probably be 27,000+. Articles in the past have misquoted the mpg, when Elio Motors owns, rents or leases the plant, how much of the plant they intend to occupy, etc.

It's also quite possible that "sometime during 2015" is exactly what Forbes was told by EM, we don't know.

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom