• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Display Quality

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a reservation holder for a new Elio for over a year and a half now. I can't wait to get my brand-new Elio fun car. I was wondering if anyone else was disappointed at the quality of the Elio display booth. I have just gotten a chance to view the brand-new P5 at the booth at Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach. This is about the fourth time I've had a chance to see the display over the last 2 years. It is my belief that the company has done a horrible job in presenting a display that is engaging, attractive, and informative. The booth is really little more than the car sitting in an open space. I think the company has spent a lot of money in marketing this new vehicle and they have done it primarily through the use of shows and viewings all around the country on a regular basis. I don't think they have done a good job in presenting all the factors that one considers when looking at a new vehicle. They have just made a big deal on the Internet about a new way for the industry of having options available. It would appear to me that having these options shown at the booths would be an important element of following through on that push. Additionally, they make a strong point that the Elio will be a very safe vehicle, wouldn't it be a good idea to show either in full form or a scale model of the roll cage that goes in to making this vehicle so super safe? There are many more things that could be done with in this display but they really have done none of them. Does anyone else share my frustration with the marketing effort that is put into this car at the booth level or is it just me that doesn't think there has been near enough thought gone into what a display should be when that is your main marketing method.? I have been fortunate enough to see the booth that the firm puts together multiple times over two years yet with the exception of the P4 becoming a P5 I have seen virtually no changes in the display. Shouldn't some time, effort, and money be put into a display that is more complete?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been a reservation holder for a new Elio for over a year and a half now. I can't wait to get my brand-new Elio fun car. I was wondering if anyone else was disappointed at the quality of the Elio display booth. I have just gotten a chance to view the brand-new P5 at the booth at Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach. This is about the fourth time I've had a chance to see the display over the last 2 years. It is my belief that the company has done a horrible job in presenting a display that is engaging, attractive, and informative. The booth is really little more than the car sitting in an open space. I think the company has spent a lot of money in marketing this new vehicle and they have done it primarily through the use of shows and viewings all around the country on a regular basis. I don't think they have done a good job in presenting all the factors that one considers when looking at a new vehicle. They have just made a big deal on the Internet about a new way for the industry of having options available. It would appear to me that having these options shown at the booths would be an important element of following through on that push. Additionally, they make a strong point that the Elio will be a very safe vehicle, wouldn't it be a good idea to show either in full form or a scale model of the roll cage that goes in to making this vehicle so super safe? There are many more things that could be done with in this display but they really have done none of them. Does anyone else share my frustration with the marketing effort that is put into this car at the booth level or is it just me that doesn't think there has been near enough thought gone into what a display should be when that is your main marketing method.? I have been fortunate enough to see the booth that the firm puts together multiple times over two years yet with the exception of the P4 becoming a P5 I have seen virtually no changes in the display. Shouldn't some time, effort, and money be put into a display that is more complete?
There are some problems with displaying the roll cage. For one, most people would look at it and think "That doesn't look nearly as strong as my car." Truth be told, between those bits of roll cage is a couple of simple sheets of fiberglass reinforced plastic... not very reassuring to most people. I would think they wouldn't show the roll cage because of that and the fact that it probably looks handmade. The options... well, most haven't been produced yet or even finalized. Plus, at this point, they would just cause more questions. "How much is that going to cost?" "So, you are saying I have to pay even more for my Elio?"
I think the display looked fine. Shoot, I went and saw it a second time just being displayed next to the trailer at a Pep Boys store and thought it was fine there, too. Too much spit and polish can make it feel like the priorities aren't set right. "Why are they spending so much money on a display?"

I don't think adding things to their display would change the number of people who see it. Nor will it answer questions that even the most basic internet search can't provide.

And that, folks, is my two cents worth.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would imagine that only a small % of reservations were placed from people just seeing the "road show". My guess is that most get their first glimpse through the media (news, tv, web ads) and there are some who follow Elio like a Grateful Dead tour and are already on board. If it were me I would also focus my attention (and money) on tv ads, or things like a Fox news appearances, one 2 minute spot can reach more people then 2 years of in person viewings. Just my 2¢.

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don’t waste my deposit on the display!

The display is OK for now and the travel crews are doing an excellent job.

If interest peaks before the ELIO is being manufactured the interest (expectations) may drop

And customers will be lost.

Put my money in to production.

I have driven over 4700 miles to see the P4 several times and will add to that to see the P5.

MY 2 cents.

Bob

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the tour folks have to work with a pretty tight band of restrictions .... their display has to fit into a fairly small trailer with the Elio .... it has to be light weight .... it has to be self sufficient in that some display locations do not have electrical power .... it has to be easy/quick to setup and take down .... in addition, unlike some of us addicts, I suspect that most people only see it once and when they are there, their focus is on the trike

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would imagine that only a small % of reservations were placed from people just seeing the "road show". My guess is that most get their first glimpse through the media (news, tv, web ads) and there are some who follow Elio like a Grateful Dead tour and are already on board. If it were me I would also focus my attention (and money) on tv ads, or things like a Fox news appearances, one 2 minute spot can reach more people then 2 years of in person viewings. Just my 2¢.

I put $100 refundable deposit down based on the information on the web. Sat in the P4 when it came to Raleigh. Went home and immediately changed to $1000 all-in. There is nothing quite like sitting in the machine to truly know if it will work for you or not. And not to derail the thread, but this is exactly why I have such a visceral dislike of the Elgin; it feels like bait and switch.

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree that the road staff do a wonderful job. They share information, are friendly, and take all the time needed with each and every person they meet. Each of them should be complimented for the great job they are doing. However, there are so many fixed costs for keeping them on the road. The travel costs, hotel bills, food expenses, location fees, and salaries make for an extremely costly way to market the product. It is VERY effective to allow people to actually see and touch the latest generation of what we all hope will be a useful and fun product. I am very glad to see that they tour the car around the way they do so as to get real people excited about something they have experienced first hand. That all said, I still think it is foolish to not provide a better customer experience at each stop. The extra cost of a high quality display is peanuts compared to what they are already spending. A quality display is only a 1 time cost and it can be spread over many many showings. Time to set up should not be an issue since there are so many Elio employees on tour that each could do a bit more work in setting up a better display. One example, so many people complain about how unsafe the Elio must be since it is so small and light weight. Wouldn't it be effective to show the tubular steel roll cage and how protected the people will be inside of something that they can physically show them? Wouldn't it be great if they could effectively sell the Elio based upon it's safety and not have to deal with so many people who continue to believe otherwise because of something they can not see? Come on Elio....get a display together that truly shows how great a car you will be making. Show it's strengths and options and continue to provide such talented people who man the booth. Give these fine folks better tools to be more effective at what they are trying to do.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have never laid eyes on an Elio. I sure would like to see the P5. But I guess they will never come to Nashville (127 mi away), Knoxville (130 mi away), or Chattanooga (70 mi away). I guess I will have to wait until the estimated delivery next year at the end of April.

Top Bottom