• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Do I Wrap This Baby Of Plastisdip It?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It is paint, period. You are not dipping anything. You are painting with a spray can. :confused:

Dipping tools into the plastic coating is how Plasti Dip got it's start; you'd open a can of liquid plastic, dip your tool into it, pull it out and let it dry.
So the company name was a reflection of their original product; later they changed the product so you could also spray it, but they kept the same company name. Just an expansion of the product line.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dipping tools into the plastic coating is how Plasti Dip got it's start; you'd open a can of liquid plastic, dip your tool into it, pull it out and let it dry.
So the company name was a reflection of their original product; later they changed the product so you could also spray it, but they kept the same company name. Just an expansion of the product line.

Initially we dipped metal traps in melted roofing tar. This worked well in the winter and as long as you pulled the trap and quickly returned it to the water in summer. If you took the gear out of the water and left it in the summer heat, you ended up with a very large sticky mass on your hands.
In the early 1970's we discouvered a company in Massachusetts plastic coating everything from tap handles, to tools, to wire mesh. They made a 1000 shrimp traps for us. We drove @ 3000 miles to pick them up and toured the plant. Most of the products were heated and passed into a container of plastic flakes, agitated by air jets, which stuck to and melted on the part. Some parts were heated in an oven and as they came out on a moving track, they were sprayed with a plastic powder. There was a company in Seattle dipping wiremesh traps in a liquid called "plastic" but, again, it is paint. These dipped traps did not last. The paint chipped off, exposing the wire, which not only rusted away, but quit fishing once a bit of metal got exposed. Metal in sea water produces an electric current which keeps the shrimp away. The plastic coated traps did not chip and continued to fish well for years. The high initial cost was well worth the investment.

Google "plastic bumper paint" and you will find 100's of paint products with the properties of PlastiDip. Liquid whip has been around for 40 years.
http://www.starbrite.com/item/dip-it-whip-it I think PlastiDip is just re-branded paint?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I very much like the peal-off idea. This probably saved me $1400. Now I'll get my Elio in a standard color. I suppose the peel offs start to come off on their own at some point.
Then if this peel-off paint works well, I'll go some iridescent color, then peel it off after I get tired of it. That could be fun doing different colors and patterns.

One of the things I'll do is see what MPG I can super-mile out of The Elio when I commute, and I could paint that on the sides for a bit.

One color I'd like to try is Chrome, or a gun metal Chrome. I saw a Chrome Smart Car the other day, it was sooo HOT. But that would be a paint wrap. Do those come off as nicely?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I very much like the peal-off idea. This probably saved me $1400. Now I'll get my Elio in a standard color. I suppose the peel offs start to come off on their own at some point.
Then if this peel-off paint works well, I'll go some iridescent color, then peel it off after I get tired of it. That could be fun doing different colors and patterns.

One of the things I'll do is see what MPG I can super-mile out of The Elio when I commute, and I could paint that on the sides for a bit.

One color I'd like to try is Chrome, or a gun metal Chrome. I saw a Chrome Smart Car the other day, it was sooo HOT. But that would be a paint wrap. Do those come off as nicely?
Do wraps come off nicely? Not really. It's kind of like taking off wall paper, but without a scraper; it will come off in pieces; and take a lot longer to get it off as it was putting it on. Once you get all of the film off; you'll have a residue that you will have to remove; once that's done, wash the car, and do a good paste wax job on it; one of the prep steps for putting a wrap on, is remove any wax that is on the vehicle before you start.
So when you said "nicely" you won't damage the paint unless you're careless; or the original paint job was done poorly (aka Maaco $300 special).
That answer your question?

Top Bottom