• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

E85, Flex Fuel Engine?

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am not keeping track of my own thread very well, but I work 3 jobs and have little time to look and chat, so I do my best. It seems some people don't like what I have to say. I see there are a few that just cant stand to here information that differs from what they believe to be true. For myself, you can chose to use or not, its a free country and that's why I love it here. I stick to my conclusions and the numbers others supporters have added and thank them very much. I have said E85 is not the only answer, its just part of the puzzle. As for the naysayers, well its a free country and you are entitled to your opinion as am I. I very much try to keep thing civil and not make it personal. As for birds and baseball, I am a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and I like the Scarlet Tanager a very red bird of North America.
scarlet-tanager-10.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, pro & con, on E85.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not keeping track of my own thread very well, but I work 3 jobs and have little time to look and chat, so I do my best. It seems some people don't like what I have to say. I see there are a few that just cant stand to here information that differs from what they believe to be true. For myself, you can chose to use or not, its a free country and that's why I love it here. I stick to my conclusions and the numbers others supporters have added and thank them very much. I have said E85 is not the only answer, its just part of the puzzle. As for the naysayers, well its a free country and you are entitled to your opinion as am I. I very much try to keep thing civil and not make it personal. As for birds and baseball, I am a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and I like the Scarlet Tanager a very red bird of North America.
scarlet-tanager-10.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, pro & con, on E85.
Ornithology is not the point. The point is you can have all the opinions you want but if they don't mesh with the facts they're still wrong.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
SHINE...ethanol...same stuff. A year ago at an ethanol plant they let teachers taste the ethanol with our finger tips. Then they described how they must add an additive to make it toxic to drink.

A little sweeter than gasoline tastes, not that I drink a lot of gasoline. Compared to corn flakes, oil flakes taste like crap.

Farm Boy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It all depends on your definition of “inefficient” is. I am curious what your thoughts are on other hot topics like climate, guns, government regulation, and welfare. I am just looking to get a complete picture of you and how you view the world to help me understand where you are coming from. I make no bones about who I am and were I am coming from. I’m a middle aged white man from the Midwest with a wife and 2 kids at home under 15. I grew up on a farm and I’m still directly involved in production agriculture. I also work for a company that ships food all across the United States to a store near you. I still like the idea of E85 as an optional fuel and believe if someone look at the current data, study’s done on ethanol production in the last 3 years [ not 10 or 15 year old information ] a person would see it works well when all the byproducts are utilized as well as the ethanol.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on your definition of “inefficient” is. I am curious what your thoughts are on other hot topics like climate, guns, government regulation, and welfare. I am just looking to get a complete picture of you and how you view the world to help me understand where you are coming from. I make no bones about who I am and were I am coming from. I’m a middle aged white man from the Midwest with a wife and 2 kids at home under 15. I grew up on a farm and I’m still directly involved in production agriculture. I also work for a company that ships food all across the United States to a store near you. I still like the idea of E85 as an optional fuel and believe if someone look at the current data, study’s done on ethanol production in the last 3 years [ not 10 or 15 year old information ] a person would see it works well when all the byproducts are utilized as well as the ethanol.
The problem is that ethanol has fewer btus of energy per pound and costs taxpayers too --Taxpayers paid part of the cost of producing ethanol. Each gallon was subsidized by a 51-cent/gallon federal tax credit paid to U.S. producers.[79]

Now, they also report that it only costs $100 per vehicle to make it so I say, why not? Eventually, ethanol should be competitive in price. Be warned though that if they were to get rid of the subsidized portion, most people will stop using it. In fact, in a poll, 68% of people weren't even aware their vehicles could use it.

Iowa E85 $2.99 gasoline $3.39
Without the subsidy, E85=$3.50, gasoline=$3.39. Plus, there is a 26.5% decrease in fuel economy. I am completely for lowering our oil dependence and renewable sources is a great way to do it. Ethanol isn't there yet (My wife told me there was something really wrong with her Explorer because the mileage nose dived. Yup, she filled up with an ethanol blend. She hasn't done it since) but it could get there some day so we may as well hedge our best and make sure cars that we buy are at least capable even if we don't use the capability yet.

If you are interested in the test I reference, http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Top Bottom