• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eager To See A Driving Review Or Impression With Purpose Built Iav Designed Engine!

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Love the new P5 look - What I am waiting for now is a review or driving impression with the new purpose built engine in it. I know they may want to leave this showcase new and build the test mules and drive those. Anyone who has seen it run and drive with the new engine please post.

Thx! Go Elio!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with you there. I'm looking forward to seeing actual driving of the P5... hopefully at highway speeds as well as regular handling reports.

Jerome drove the P4 in the early videos, including the one of it in snow .... I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same type of promotional videos for the P5

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you there. I'm looking forward to seeing actual driving of the P5... hopefully at highway speeds as well as regular handling reports.

I suspect, but hope I am mistaken, that we won't see much of P5 outside until after the Detroit show. Pretty sure they will taking care of a lot of the little issues before that, for appearances sake anyway. With Christmas/New Years coming up, I don't expect much "big" stuff to be taken care of. Maybe a gratuitous putt around the block once or twice tease us all till after the show.

Go team Elio!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jerome drove the P4 in the early videos, including the one of it in snow ....
Is that the one on the road that has been plowed completely flat, with only a dusting of snow left? Yeah, that's not "driving in snow". I want to see how it does after you get 10" of snow overnight, some salting, the intersections are all melted into about 2-3" of icy slush, and the highways are nothing more than vague tire tracks in the snow. *That* is winter driving. And that's the kind of thing that I fear the Elio will not handle very well. That center tire in the back will be riding in all the snow piles that all the cars miss.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is that the one on the road that has been plowed completely flat, with only a dusting of snow left? Yeah, that's not "driving in snow". I want to see how it does after you get 10" of snow overnight, some salting, the intersections are all melted into about 2-3" of icy slush, and the highways are nothing more than vague tire tracks in the snow. *That* is winter driving. And that's the kind of thing that I fear the Elio will not handle very well. That center tire in the back will be riding in all the snow piles that all the cars miss.

no video is needed to show how an Elio will handle a 10" snow .... it will stay parked .... simply not enough ground clearance .... as I remember, the one I say was made of an Elio driving on hard packed snow .... the road was pretty flat and did have turns .... I suspect it will do about as well as most small, front wheel drive cars with a similar 5.75" grown clearance

Okie51

Elio Addict
Reaction score
no video is needed to show how an Elio will handle a 10" snow .... it will stay parked .... simply not enough ground clearance .... as I remember, the one I say was made of an Elio driving on hard packed snow .... the road was pretty flat and did have turns .... I suspect it will do about as well as most small, front wheel drive cars with a similar 5.75" grown clearance
Reminds me of the time wife wanted to visit son's grave late Xmas day after a heavy snow in Tulsa. Got about halfway there inside cemetery before 1984 Sable got stuck. I had to walk back home 3 miles and get our Van and some shovels as AAA would not show. I parked the Van at entrance and walked to car with shovels and dug out the Sable. We got home safely, but had to return to retrieve my youngest son's cell phone. He dropped it when pushing the Sable. Lucky he had it turned on and we listened for the ring tone. That was one crazy night! I am glad the policemen did not see us.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I really have to wonder what you currently use to drive in those conditions?
In over 50 years driving I can't remember too many times when the roars were that bad on a regular basis.
That 50 years was mostly in north Jersey and New York state (Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Buffalo, Corning)

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My current vehicle is a Saturn L300. Before that, it has been a few other Saturn sedans, and even a coupe. The do quite well, if you're careful.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen a few times a year, and at unpredictable times. (And yes, I do exaggerate the numbers a little, maybe.) When it happens, I can't afford to just give up and stay at home, much as my wife would prefer that. My biggest concern is the back wheel. There are quite a few times a year when the only reason you can drive the highways is because you're following in the tracks created by all the other cars driving before you. If that back wheel loses traction, it could get pushed to either side, causing the car to no longer be facing straight forward.

I can't be the only one worried about this...

Top Bottom