• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Eastern Catalytic - Exhaust And Trailer Hitch

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully, Elio Motors will cooperate with towing equipment manufacturers in designing a system which will preclude the necessity for homebuilt towing equipment.

wr

that would be nice but I wouldn't count on it for a year or longer after production begins .... in the first year they will have all they can handle getting production operating smoothly and building their nationwide distribution system

Jim

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that would be nice but I wouldn't count on it for a year or longer after production begins .... in the first year they will have all they can handle getting production operating smoothly and building their nationwide distribution system

Jim

I think it's a big "plus" that Eastern Catalytic is going to be working on a hitch...or, "an entry for the trailer hitch." Altho I'm capable of designing and fabing one, If a "professionally designed" hitch was available I'd probably buy it. Then EC would cover the "product liability." When getting the Elio covered with my insurance company, I would need to "check" the "yes" box that asks, "will you be towing with this motorcycle/autocycle?" My premium will probably be a little higher. Then I will only have to worry about "driving in a responsible manner." :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whether or not Elio supports the use of a hitch, have they mentioned anything about having some mounting holes or brackets, or provisions for "future use" or some such non-commital verbage that could indicate that it will be easy for the aftermarket parts providers to make a hitch that we will be able to attach? It'll be a lot more difficult to put a hitch on the car if there isn't any access to a hard point back there...

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whether or not Elio supports the use of a hitch, have they mentioned anything about having some mounting holes or brackets, or provisions for "future use" or some such non-commital verbage that could indicate that it will be easy for the aftermarket parts providers to make a hitch that we will be able to attach? It'll be a lot more difficult to put a hitch on the car if there isn't any access to a hard point back there...
when it comes to hard points, u might want to look at the vertical hitch for the gl1800 goldwing. it's completely hidden and reaches forwards to the frame to attach the towing loads and attaches vertical to the luggage frame to support toung weight. the hitch ball installs into a vertical receptical when it comes time to tow and can be adjusted for toung height by a few inches. a luggage tray can be installed instead of the hitch ball and it will support at least 200lbs, although i wouldn't load more than maybe 30 or 50lbs or a 5 gal gas can. in fact, size, weight and load limits of the gl hitch would be perfect for the elio.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when it comes to hard points, u might want to look at the vertical hitch for the gl1800 goldwing. it's completely hidden and reaches forwards to the frame to attach the towing loads and attaches vertical to the luggage frame to support toung weight. the hitch ball installs into a vertical receptical when it comes time to tow and can be adjusted for toung height by a few inches. a luggage tray can be installed instead of the hitch ball and it will support at least 200lbs, although i wouldn't load more than maybe 30 or 50lbs or a 5 gal gas can. in fact, size, weight and load limits of the gl hitch would be perfect for the elio.
I just meant that I hope Elio leaves some holes in strategic places regardless to whether or not they "approve of hauling a trailer". It may be tougher to reach far enough forward on the Elio to get in front of the swingarm but I'm hoping Elio puts some metal behind that tire in the final design.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just meant that I hope Elio leaves some holes in strategic places regardless to whether or not they "approve of hauling a trailer". It may be tougher to reach far enough forward on the Elio to get in front of the swingarm but I'm hoping Elio puts some metal behind that tire in the final design.
I don't know if you've seen this before, but it looks like there will be metal behind the rear tire.:)

swingarm-jpg.1053.jpg

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if you've seen this before, but it looks like there will be metal behind the rear tire.:)

swingarm-jpg.1053.jpg

if this is he production frame and it's steel, it would be sooooo easy to weld 4 tabs on there to hang a hitch from. if the diagonals coming down to the arc are functional and not just jig material, this would be perfect for a vertical hitch that would be hidden behind the plastic cover of the rear end.

Top Bottom